QC sample picture of the Nvidia RTX 3070 Max-Q surfaced

Summary

The release date of the Nvidia RTX 3070 Desktop GPU is October 15th but this hasn't prevented the Company from already working hard on the mobile Max-Q variant of the Ampere powered GPU. Thus a die shot of the RTX 3070 Max-Q variant has surfaced on Twitter revealing some rather interesting information not only about the Max-Q GPU itself but also about the RTX 3070 Desktop Version and the rumered upcoming RTX 3060 Ti. The Laser engravings on the die reveal this as GN20-E5-A1 which apparently refers to the GA104 GPU which is expected to power the RTX 3070 and RTX 3060 Ti graphics cards. The full GA104 GPU features 6144 CUDA cores but the RTX 3070 Mobile is a cut down variant of a yet unknown GPU. It may have the same specs as the RTX 3070 Desktop Version which features 5888 CUDA cores. 

Picture

lbXKLlxoeuHFVBIK.jpg.81ad24efa9f1f5230f1a4e57cf7e55c7.jpg

Quotes

-Quote from TechPowerUp-

NVIDIA still hasn't released their desktop RTX 3070 graphics cards (those are set for October 15th), and availability for the already-launched RTX 3080 and RTX 3090 is spotty at best. However, the company is obviously gearing up for release of mobile versions of their RTX 30-series; NVIDIA's graphics solutions are manufacturers' usual top picks, after all. The RTX 3070 Mobile (Max Q) has thus been pictured already in its Qualification Sample state, and there are some details that can be gleaned already.

Markings on the chip place this as GN20-E5-A1, which allegedly refers to the GA104 GPU which is expected to power the RTX 3070 and RTX 3060 Ti graphics cards. GDDR6 memory is confirmed (naturally), since markings on the memory chips, which are placed quite close towards the actual NVIDIA silicon, are Sk Hynix identified as H56C8H24AIR - the same employed on AMD's Radeon Pro 550M. The full GA104 GPU features 6,144 CUDA cores however, the desktop version has been confirmed as being shipped with 5,888 cores enabled out of those. It could be that NVIDIA plans to release the mobile version with the same cores (and likely at a reduced frequency for improved power efficiency), which would obviously equate to lower performance; or maybe NVIDIA will employ the full GA104 silicon with even more reduced frequencies for the same performance - with substantial power savings as the proverbial cherry on top. These last ideas are pure speculation, though; we'll have to wait a little while to confirm specs.

-Quote from Videocardz-

According to our sources, NVIDIA is preparing to launch its GeForce RTX 30 Mobile series around CES 2021.

My thoughts

So according to Videocardz sources Nvidia is preparing to launch the RTX 30 series Mobile chips in Notebook SKUs around CES 2021 which would also be around the same time where AMD is gonna announce/release Lucienne (Renoir Refresh), or what ever they end up calling their Ryzen 5000 series Mobile Chips, which means that hopefully this time around we not only see High End Nvidia GPUs in Intel but also AMD powered Notebooks. I personally own a 4800H + RTX 2060 powered Gaming Notebook and the 4800H is such a great APU but the GPU is just holding it back right now, if only they could put Higher End Nvidia GPUs inside the same Notebook that is powered by thesuccessor of the 4800H than that would be absolutely amazing and wouldn't require you to go Intel only to have a High End Nvidia GPU in your Notebook.

Sources

TechPowerUp

Videocardz

Twitter

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

12 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

I hope that means Nvidia will lower the price...

You're funny.

nVidia is trying to buy ARM (IIRC) they're going to need all the cash they can spare for that.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

*stares suspiciously at power layout*

*presses X to doubt*

5 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

You're funny.

nVidia is trying to buy ARM (IIRC) they're going to need all the cash they can spare for that.

You don’t spend $40 Billion cornering the market to lower prices for consumers.

6 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

You're funny.

Most of the settlement will be comprised of NVDA equity, only around 12B will be in cash, iirc.

This is gonna be an interesting generation for laptop, from what I can tell the new Ampere cards achieve much of their performance uplift over Turing due to increased TDP.

As laptops are generally already thermally constrained we may not see much of a leap in raster performance this generation. Then again desktop Ampere is definitely running pretty close to max freq so there could be much better efficiency lower on that clock-volt curve.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

53 minutes ago, thorhammerz said:

Most of the settlement will be comprised of NVDA equity, only around 12B will be in cash, iirc.

It's still slightly more than their last 4 years of profit.

12 hours ago, randomhkkid said:

Then again desktop Ampere is definitely running pretty close to max freq so there could be much better efficiency lower on that clock-volt curve.

This is true, I've accomplished some amazing under volting results with my TUF 3080. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D