Apparently my AIO has been installed wrong the whole time??

platysaur

I can’t tell you the anxiety I have right now. Apparently, as I was browsing Reddit, people were complaining about a dude’s pumps being installed wrong. I have an H100i and this guy had an NZXT cooler, but it seems to be similar to mine. My pumps are upside down or something? I have had this PC for a year and it’s been the same, and the cooling is really good.

the fact of the matter is, I am not comfortable moving the pump myself. I’d pay someone to do it because I am not proficient with the PC and I am liable to screwing everything up when I start messing with stuff. Or is it OK? I really can’t tell. Here’s a picture I had on hand, and even though you can’t see where the pumps end into the radiator, they are at the top.

image.jpeg.9367d8618b032dc9238f5a317ab8f1f7.jpeg

Just now, platysaur said:

I can’t tell you the anxiety I have right now. Apparently, as I was browsing Reddit, people were complaining about a dude’s pumps being installed wrong. I have an H100i and this guy had an NZXT cooler, but it seems to be similar to mine. My pumps are upside down or something? I have had this PC for a year and it’s been the same, and the cooling is really good.

the fact of the matter is, I am not comfortable moving the pump myself. I’d pay someone to do it because I am not proficient with the PC and I am liable to screwing everything up when I start messing with stuff. Or is it OK? I really can’t tell. Here’s a picture I had on hand, and even though you can’t see where the pumps end into the radiator, they are at the top.

The pump is fine, people are suddenly losing their shit over radiator mounting direction thanks to GN's video. In your case, its actually fine as there is a portion of the radiator that is above the pump, and so air will accumulate there instead of getting into the pump. Ideally if you rotated the radiator 180 so that the tubes are on the bottom, then it would be even harder for the air to get out of the radiator and into the pump. That's what people are screaming about these days, but fail to recognize that if a portion of the radiator is above the pump, then its actually okay either way, pumps in AIOs are not strong enough to cause an issue.

Here is the video that kind of made this concern more common recently. I recommend watching the entire thing.

Its been a while since I watched it, but if I remember correctly Steve was saying that orientating it like that can add noise and slightly decrease the coolers life span. It really is as simple as unscrewing it, flipping it, and rescrewing it. But it doesn’t look like it is long enough to be flipped anyways so you should be fine.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

The pump is fine, people are suddenly losing their shit over radiator mounting direction thanks to GN's video. In your case, its actually fine as there is a portion of the radiator that is above the pump, and so air will accumulate there instead of getting into the pump. Ideally if you rotated the radiator 180 so that the tubes are on the bottom, then it would be even harder for the air to get out of the radiator and into the pump. That's what people are screaming about these days, but fail to recognize that if a portion of the radiator is above the pump, then its actually okay either way, pumps in AIOs are not strong enough to cause an issue.

Thank you for your words of reassurance. I saw that video being shared a lot and I know GN is very respectable, but it has me worried since now it seemed like it was all wrong. I’ve seen a lot of cases with this config, though, so I was just confused.

1 minute ago, platysaur said:

Thank you for your words of reassurance. I saw that video being shared a lot and I know GN is very respectable, but it has me worried since now it seemed like it was all wrong. I’ve seen a lot of cases with this config, though, so I was just confused.

Ignore Reddit, they are the flames that kill the industry. They took the info, only half of it and lit a torch under anyone's ass who had your type of orientation instead of the other type with the tubes down. Hell, they even went after Jayztwocents, Paulshardware etc... so even other tech tubers weren't immune from the vitriol those people spewed. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

Ignore Reddit, they are the flames that kill the industry. They took the info, only half of it and lit a torch under anyone's ass who had your type of orientation instead of the other type with the tubes down. Hell, they even went after Jayztwocents, Paulshardware etc... so even other tech tubers weren't immune from the vitriol those people spewed. 

Ignore Reddit is often good advice, haha. That’s why I go here, at least. I trust y’all above all else!