YouTube is getting annoying with ads

pm128

Cmon, 2 unskippable ads. It got to the point where they are advertising adblocking extensions.

Ryzen 3 1200

8GB DDR4

1050Ti

#animeaspfpgang

I don't feel bad about using Adblock Plus or Ublock Origin. Ads can be legitimately malicious too, so I don't take any chances. The only time I'll whitelist a site is if Adblock breaks part of that site. Otherwise, if there's one of those "Please subscribe or whitelist us" popups, I just will refuse to use that site. It's 2020, I shouldn't have to have my eyes and ears pumped with bullshit.

I do have it disabled on this site however, because I actually like LMG and their ads are good.

2 minutes ago, pm128 said:

Cmon, 2 unskippable ads. It got to the point where they are advertising adblocking extensions.

They are also doing 10 seconds per ad. Remember when we used to be able to skip one ad at 5 seconds? The good days..

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

I don't feel bad about using Adblock Plus or Ublock Origin. Ads can be legitimately malicious too, so I don't take any chances. The only time I'll whitelist a site is if Adblock breaks part of that site. Otherwise, if there's one of those "Please subscribe or whitelist us" popups, I just will refuse to use that site. It's 2020, I shouldn't have to have my eyes and ears pumped with bullshit.

I do have it disabled on this site however, because I actually like LMG and their ads are good.

It's also not annoying with playing ads in the corner. Just one simple ad in the top right.

1 minute ago, poorkidbuild said:

It's also not annoying with playing ads in the corner. Just one simple ad in the top right.

That wasnt even that long time ago

Ryzen 3 1200

8GB DDR4

1050Ti

#animeaspfpgang

Just now, dilpickle said:

Youtube ads have definitely gotten worse in the last few days. Blocking them on desktop is easy enough. But it seems impossible to block on mobile devices. I even use a pihole but it doesn't help.

They've been bad on mobile for about 3 months now. Luckily a lot of youtubers are recognizing this and aren't hitting us with 20 seconds of straight ads.

There are ads on the internet?

Huh, learn something new every day...

(but have others have said, Ad blockers are a requirement these days, getting on the 'net without them is like going to an orgy without protection.)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

its like 1.74$ per month for YT Premium here, i've totally forgotten youtube runs ads

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Just use a decent VPN and/or browser plugins and you'll never see another ad again. Kinda funny that LTT sometimes run ads for the very thing that slows their income.

4 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

its like 1.74$ per month for YT Premium here, i've totally forgotten youtube runs ads

Where are you, and how! It's 15 dollars where I am. :(

Problem is it's an arms race; the more people using adblockers, the more ads without them people will have to see. I do use an adblocker but if there's a site I enjoy I will whitelist it

I can't afford YouTube Premium, otherwise I'd probably have it. Though at £12/month it's really expensive considering YouTube isn't paying much to license the content - more expensive than Spotify even.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

2 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Problem is it's an arms race; the more people using adblockers, the more ads without them people will have to see. I do use an adblocker but if there's a site I enjoy I will whitelist it

I can't afford YouTube Premium, otherwise I'd probably have it. Though at £12/month it's really expensive considering YouTube isn't paying much to license the content - more expensive than Spotify even.

Exactly- I already pay for a gym membership, and of course I need Spotify premium for a gym, so that an extra 200 dollars a month. 

14 minutes ago, poorkidbuild said:

They are also doing 10 seconds per ad. Remember when we used to be able to skip one ad at 5 seconds? The good days..

You are lucky if you are getting 10 second ads, almost every video I watch now has 2 15 second unskipable ads back to back, and that’s not only before the video, it happens every time there’s an ad so before, mid-roll, and after.

Just now, The_russian said:

You are lucky if you are getting 10 second ads, almost every video I watch now has 2 15 second unskipable ads back to back, and that’s not only before the video, it happens every time there’s an ad so before, mid-roll, and after.

Wow, that's a lot. Maybe it's because I've had Youtube Premium in the past, but you never know with Youtube.

16 minutes ago, poorkidbuild said:

Where are you, and how! It's 15 dollars where I am. :(

India, if it's any consolation, Youtube Red had a page that it'd be coming soon to India and never did and it got shut down and was replaced by YT Premium 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I have YouTube premium and adblock, what's an ad?

Level 2 Tech Support for a Corporation servicing over 12,000 users and devices, AMA

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5800x3D | GPU: Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro+ SE | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL15 3600 | PSU: EVGA 850 GA | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

Laptop - Dell G15 | i7-11800H | RTX 3060 | 16GB CL22 3200

Plex - Lenovo M93p Tiny | Ubuntu | Intel 4570T | 8GB RAM | 2x 8TB WD RED Plus 

36 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

India, if it's any consolation, Youtube Red had a page that it'd be coming soon to India and never did and it got shut down and was replaced by YT Premium 

Yt premium is just yt red renamed

Ryzen 3 1200

8GB DDR4

1050Ti

#animeaspfpgang

5 minutes ago, pm128 said:

Yt premium is just yt red renamed

i know, my point was while the rest of the world got YT Red, Indians were pretty much stuck in a no win situation, i wanted to watch Vsauce's Mind Field i had to wait 3 Fucking years to see it when i was finally able to see it on YT premium, there was no option to see it even if i wanted to pay for it for 3 whole years.and that's just 1 show, missed out on so many YT Red series, live streams etc like that.   

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

I've been using Youtube Vanced on my phone for a week now and I haven't seen an ad ever since. It also keeps the video playing with the phone locked, which I appreciate. The reason I started using the app is because the ads at the start of the video were getting pretty obnoxious.

2 hours ago, dilpickle said:

Youtube ads have definitely gotten worse in the last few days. Blocking them on desktop is easy enough. But it seems impossible to block on mobile devices. I even use a pihole but it doesn't help.

What do you use to block them on desktop? All the extensions I've tried do Jack.

Mobile is easy just get Vanced but I purposely don't watch anything YT on my PC as the ads are just too intrusive now.

6 minutes ago, AndrzejL said:

I know... I agree.

I remember when certain someone publicly said "We will never put ads on YouTube"... but then Google happened...

Cheers.

Andrzej

Thing is I actually kind of don't mind the pre-roll ads, the way I figure it if it means the channels I watch can keep going then it's worth 30 seconds.

The problem I have is the constant barrage of ads inside a ten minute video that interrupt the flow of what you're trying to watch.

If it wasn't for that I wouldn't need to find a decent adblocker for YT.

18 minutes ago, Mn3m3nth said:

What do you use to block them on desktop? All the extensions I've tried do Jack.

Mobile is easy just get Vanced but I purposely don't watch anything YT on my PC as the ads are just too intrusive now.

On desktop I use uBlock origin and it works perfectly.

3 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

There is a site (I forget which one) that actually says something to the effect "You don't have to whitelist but we would be grateful if you did".  Damn,  I wish I remembered which site.