RTX 3080 AIB review round-up thread

FaxedForward

Now that the wave of excitement about the 3080 launch has crashed and the salt is in the air, it’s a good time for those of us who accept this reality to step back and start comparing the available AIB cards against each other and the FE model to figure out which cards to look for when rolling restocks begin.

I’ll be updating this post regularly as I find reviews and more info becomes available, feel free to post anything I may have missed in the replies and I will add it.

NOTE: For right now I am keeping this to detailed English-language reviews. There is a good list of international, multi-language reviews available here.

I am also restricting this list to in-depth reviews that specifically address AIB card design/performance and differences from the FE model.

Text Reviews

ASUS

TUF Gaming OC (Guru3D)

TUF Gaming OC (Hexus)

TUF Gaming OC (TechPowerUp)

TUF Gaming OC (Tom's Hardware)

TUF Gaming OC (OC3D)

Galax

SG (Guru3D)

Gigabyte

Eagle (KitGuru)

Gaming OC (OC3D)

MSI

Gaming X Trio (eTeknix)

Gaming X Trio (Guru3D)

Gaming X Trio (Hexus)

Gaming X Trio (KitGuru)

Gaming X Trio (OC3D)

Gaming X Trio (Overclockers Club)

Gaming X Trio (TechPowerUp)

Gaming X Trio (ThinkComputers)

Gaming X Trio (Tweaktown)

Gaming X Trio (Wccftech)

Palit

Gaming Pro OC (Guru3D)

Gaming Pro OC (Hot Hardware)

Gaming Pro OC (TechPowerUp)

Zotac

Trinity (TechPowerUp)

Trinity (TweakTown)

Video Reviews

ASUS

TUF Gaming OC (Bitwit)

TUF Gaming OC (Hardware Unboxed)

EVGA

XC3 Ultra (BPS Customs)

XC3 Ultra (JayzTwoCents)

Gigabyte

Eagle (KitGuru)

MSI

Gaming X Trio (BPS Customs)

Gaming X Trio (eTeknix)

Gaming X Trio (KitGuru)

Gaming X Trio (Gear Seekers)

Gaming X Trio (Techtesters)

Zotac

Trinity (eTeknix)

Multi-card comparisons

Asus TUF Gaming OC, Gigabyte OC, MSI Gaming X Trio (OC3D TV)

Current build: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, ASUS PRIME X570-Pro, EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra, G.Skill 2x16GB 3600C16 DDR4, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, Sabrent Rocket 1TB, Corsair RM750x, Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, LG 27GL83A-B

Techpowerup has a few written articles with actual stats listed now. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/

For my money I'm waiting to see what the MSI 'Corsair' version looks like and if it releases before evga can get their hybrid models out.

Life is a series of compromises which must constantly be reevaluated - My CpuZ

List has been updated.

Current build: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, ASUS PRIME X570-Pro, EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra, G.Skill 2x16GB 3600C16 DDR4, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, Sabrent Rocket 1TB, Corsair RM750x, Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, LG 27GL83A-B

A bunch more: https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-custom-graphics-cards-review-roundup

But they aren't all standard reviews, and not all of them are video reviews.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

19 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

A bunch more: https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-custom-graphics-cards-review-roundup

But they aren't all standard reviews, and not all of them are video reviews.

I'm adding both video and text reviews, so that's okay, but I am starting to filter out "previews" and things that don't really offer any detail. I'll go through the list and add where I can!

Here's the KitGuru video review for MSI's 3080. You currently have a link to the text review: https://youtu.be/gVhfKAKni8A

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Early reviews seeming to indicate that ASUS really nailed the TUF cooler this time around, which is a nice change of pace.

MSI, Asus, and Gigabyte all seem to be solid cards.

Of those, the MSI seems to be the quietest. But it also runs about as hot as the FE, while the Gigabyte and Asus run notably cooler. But if the MSI were run at a fan-speed that created noise similar to the Gigabyte and Asus, maybe it would run just as cool or cooler than them.

I haven't yet seen a good review of the EVGA.

MSI, Gigabyte, FE, compared:

Temperatures.thumb.PNG.b990010b5bf93726e9ec8f7d27e6885b.PNG

Acoustics.thumb.PNG.b477be7a9b2cc8156d571b7cc76936f3.PNG

1032876007_Powerdraw.thumb.PNG.f86c5275f0a3fe42c5e9d845b05f4f6f.PNG

8 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

I haven't yet seen a good review of the EVGA.

Indeed, as an EVGA customer this is rather dissapointing.

ASUS Strix hasn't been reviewed yet, but their TUF line is already promising this time around

I hope the EVGA FTW edition is going to be good, but if the price isn't right it seems I might switch brands this time around

I would still buy an EVGA over some other AIB cards just because of the warranty and customer service. Hoping to see more detailed reviews though.

I will say that I like the FE card from a perspective of not blowing hot air into X570 motherboard chipset fans. But we have a lot of AIBs yet to come...

Updated with more reviews for MSI and ASUS...wondering when we'll finally see a thorough review of the EVGA cards.

I pretty much have it narrowed down to EVGA and ASUS at this point but I want to see reviews of each from the same person before committing...

Is there really any point in looking for a specific 3080 right now, or should I just buy the first I can get my hands on? They all seem basically the same performance wise. Looks like it's around 2% performance increase vs who knows when I can get one. It's not like anybody can tell say like 100FPS vs 105FPS.

7 minutes ago, NadeMagnet69 said:

Is there really any point in looking for a specific 3080 right now, or should I just buy the first I can get my hands on? They all seem basically the same performance wise. Looks like it's around 2% performance increase vs who knows when I can get one. It's not like anybody can tell say like 100FPS vs 105FPS.

I would say you should only buy one that's verified as being "good" in a detailed review. For example, there are no thorough reviews of the MSI Ventus 3080 yet, but people who managed to get one on Reddit are saying that it runs VERY HOT relative to other cards. So you don't want to just buy any random card as it might not be that great.

Im more interested to see reviews with unlocked Power limits. (custom bios's or higher end AIB cards)

So far these cards are all within silicon lottery margins due to all becoming performance capped by power.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Does anyone know what's going on with the Strix cards? I've been searching, but haven't been able to find a single person who's gotten theirs yet. Mine is on order, but it looks like they haven't even reached stores.

Any information on the MSI ventus? MSI seems to have sent the Trio to all the reviewers but no ventuses which seems a bit suspicious. I hope its not under performing as its a nice clean looking card. 

1 minute ago, Haak said:

Any information on the MSI ventus? MSI seems to have sent the Trio to all the reviewers but no ventuses which seems a bit suspicious. I hope its not under performing as its a nice clean looking card. 

Of course this is anecdotal, but I watched a dude with a ventus card test it in games for about six hours, mainly in 1440p and 4k. The card kicked ass, and never went above 75c. I'd wait for a formal review with accurate benchmarks, but it certainly doesn't look like it's under-performing to me.

1 minute ago, Skrubbmeister said:

Of course this is anecdotal, but I watched a dude with a ventus card test it in games for about six hours, mainly in 1440p and 4k. The card kicked ass, and never went above 75c. I'd wait for a formal review with accurate benchmarks, but it certainly doesn't look like it's under-performing to me.

Thx for the info, has been a pain to find anything at all, so ill take it for now. 

Can anybody please do me a huge favor, and link to/rank summarizing all current AIB's based on average FPS for a modern game, Control for example, so people can make an informed decision, taking account local pricing?

2 minutes ago, Slyceth said:

Can anybody please do me a huge favor, and link to/rank summarizing all current AIB's based on average FPS for a modern game, Control for example, so people can make an informed decision, taking account local pricing?

MSI, Asus, Gigabyte, are all about the same. FE is around 1 - 3 FPS (out of 80 FPS or so) behind those. Zotac is a bit behind them as well. I still haven't seen a quality review for the EVGA.

Average FPS doesn't mean too much with this generation. because they're so close and these cards have very minimal overclocking capability.

Noise, heat, and quality of components seem to be the more notable differences. And they're all pretty good in those respects, too. However, I have heard reports of a fan noise with the EVGAs.

In short, you can't go wrong with any of MSI, Asus, or Gigabyte, based on current information.

12 hours ago, FaxedForward said:

Updated with more reviews for MSI and ASUS...wondering when we'll finally see a thorough review of the EVGA cards.

I pretty much have it narrowed down to EVGA and ASUS at this point but I want to see reviews of each from the same person before committing...

Seems like ftw and strix cards still haven't reached anyone's hand yet. I've placed a preorder for ftw but no eta. A proper review would actually be nice right about now. 

Well not really a proper review but still good to see ftw in something and seems like strix won't be out before October

https://youtu.be/5YuSsYGj5S4

the gigabyte eagle has to be the most hideous card, i hope it doesn't overheat there would just be a lump of plastic on the bottom of your case.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

Starting to see more reviews of the less common Palit and Galax cards, but still nothing on EVGA 🤔