RTX 3080 AIB review round-up thread

FaxedForward
14 hours ago, Maticks said:

the gigabyte eagle has to be the most hideous card, i hope it doesn't overheat there would just be a lump of plastic on the bottom of your case.

Actually, it's not as bad as it first looked. It looks worse in the renders than it does in actual pictures. Don't get me wrong, it's bad, but I've seen much worse.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

I've ordered the Asus tuf. For the first time in 15 years not ordered an EVGA card. Not had an issue with EVGA so always bought it. However this time around no ekwb announced for EVGA so didn't have much choice.

And this 1080 is in serious need of an upgrade. My previous card to EVGA was I think MSI and it had so much coil whine even at low frame rate. I remember I sold the whole machine after 6 months. Really hoping the TUF was a good choice.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

1 hour ago, Maticks said:

I've ordered the Asus tuf. For the first time in 15 years not ordered an EVGA card. Not had an issue with EVGA so always bought it. However this time around no ekwb announced for EVGA so didn't have much choice.

And this 1080 is in serious need of an upgrade. My previous card to EVGA was I think MSI and it had so much coil whine even at low frame rate. I remember I sold the whole machine after 6 months. Really hoping the TUF was a good choice.

So far it seems like the ASUS TUF is one of the best AIB cards available at the MSRP price point ($699 in US) so I think you did well.

None of the "high end" cards (ROG Strix, Aorus, FTW, etc) have dropped yet so we'll see if they really offer something more valuable beyond looks and RGB, but as noted earlier in the thread, the 3080 silicon doesn't seem to have much more headroom out of the box. So if you don't care about flashy lights, no reason not to grab one of the cards with a good cooler out now.

Current build: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, ASUS PRIME X570-Pro, EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra, G.Skill 2x16GB 3600C16 DDR4, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, Sabrent Rocket 1TB, Corsair RM750x, Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, LG 27GL83A-B

Here's a video review of the Zotac Trinity, which benchmarks it against the MSI X Trio, and Asus Tuf, comparing the noise, wattage, temperature, and FPS at 8k and 4k in a bunch of games.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2020 at 12:44 PM, FaxedForward said:

I would still buy an EVGA over some other AIB cards

I'm eyeing up that FTW3 Ultra 3090.  Just signed up for the queue to get one.

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 5 3600x, X570 ASUS Prime Pro, 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz CL16,

EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG279QM 27" 1080P @ 280hz and LG CX 4k tv

Hopes and Dreams: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 and Ryzen 9 5950x

I stopped updating this thread because it's pretty much the same cards getting reviewed ad infinitum (there are enough reviews of the MSI Gaming X Trio at this point), and the newer reviews tend to be non-technical in nature (IGN says the 3080 is a fast card, big surprise).

Still no detailed EVGA reviews.

Current build: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, ASUS PRIME X570-Pro, EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra, G.Skill 2x16GB 3600C16 DDR4, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, Sabrent Rocket 1TB, Corsair RM750x, Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, LG 27GL83A-B