10900k + 2080ti users buying 3090

LOD_ismynightmare

So you might have 9900k or 10900 and a 2080ti and you might want to upgrade your graphics card to get a sweet gaming experience on 4k at 120hz. This upgrade hurts a lot haha. The 3090 would run perfectly on PCIe 4.0 and according to Nvidia, you'll lose a couple of percentages in performance if you run the 3090 on PCIe 3.0. It is a let down that the 10900k such an amazing CPU that doesn't support PCIe 4.0. So, we have to wait for the next cpu to get the full potential of the 3090. So there are a couple of options here:

1. Go ahead and buy the 3090 knowing that you'd lose some performance

2. Wait until Intel releases their newest 11th gen + motherboards with PCIe 4.0 and DDR5 support

I always wanted to play RDR2 at max settings with all filters on. So I might actually buy the GPU now and upgrade the cpu and motherboard later. 

I don’t remember exactly what the performance loss was, but I don’t think it was multiple percentage points. But regardless, they specially said a better gaming cpu makes more of a difference. They even tested on an i9 for their benchmarks instead of an amd cpu with pcie 4.0 support.

But I’m confused about the purpose of this post. Could you please clarify if there is a question or something I’m missing?

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

7 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

I don’t remember exactly what the performance loss was, but I don’t think it was multiple percentage points. But regardless, they specially said a better gaming cpu makes more of a difference. They even tested on an i9 for their benchmarks instead of an amd cpu with pcie 4.0 support.

But I’m confused about the purpose of this post. Could you please clarify if there is a question or something I’m missing?

I am sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I just wanted to know what other 2080ti users are going to do once the 3090 is out in the market. Are they buying or holding off? Just sharing thoughts

First of all no. Gen 3 x16 for the most part is good enough bandwidth for ampere and they won't lose a couple of % of performance. 

Not sure where you got that from. 

Only way to know how they'll perform with gen 3 is to wait for it to actually launch and check. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, LOD_ismynightmare said:

I just wanted to know what other 2080ti users are going to do once the 3090 is out in the market. Are they buying or holding off? Just sharing thoughts

i sold my 2080ti 2 month ago, 2nd gen RTX is a leage about first, that's the thing about new tech. First gen is always a tech demo. 

even a 3070 beats 2080ti, so at things point, if you use RTX, moving to 3080/90 will be a better idea. 

2 minutes ago, LOD_ismynightmare said:

I am sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I just wanted to know what other 2080ti users are going to do once the 3090 is out in the market. Are they buying or holding off? Just sharing thoughts

most people who buy 2080ti are enthusiast, and they will want the latest stuff

so i can see quite a few 2080ti users switch to 3090, regardless of their CPU compatibility (and swap CPU platform on next release probably)

as for pcie4.0 making a few % diff in gaming, i will believe it when i see benchmarks

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

7 minutes ago, LOD_ismynightmare said:

Oh ok, that makes sense. I personally don’t have one but what I seeing is people panic selling them based off of nvidias claims and then using something else until they can get a 3000 series card. If I had one, I would wait until I physically had a 3000 card because stock is likely to be very low for a little while.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

51 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Thats within margin of error, 1-2% can be literally the difference between two gpus of the exact same type. I dont see this as an issue.

It's margin of error if you're only doing 1-3 tests... If it's reliably happening across 2000 tests, then it's not margin of error anymore.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Well they would want the best performance for their marketing slides, and they choose i9s which are only pcie3.

So either pcie4 isn't enough to make ryzen overcome Intel's gaming lead, or Nvidia just chose not to (or couldn't) use their competitors CPUs.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, Mister Woof said:

So either pcie4 isn't enough to make ryzen overcome Intel's gaming lead

In several games, it really isn't... At least not until Ryzen 4000 launches. (we hope)

2 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

or Nvidia just chose not to (or couldn't) use their competitors CPUs.

This is actually the most likely. Unlike Intel, they try not to advertise their competition's name more often than their own.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms