What PC parts die soonest in order

Pc6777

Ok, so obviously some parts last longer than others, I think I have a good idea 9f what kind of parts die soonest and which parts will outive there usefulness. Correct my list if I'm wrong and add input.

1. Hard drive, moving platter spinning heads lots of stuff that can go wrong easily number one.

2. Fans, stuff with moving parts die, and dust makes it worse if you don't clean them. 

3 Motherboard

No moving parts but lots of caps and functions so a decent amount of stuff can go wrong.

4 Power supplys

Depends on build quality could be higher or lower on list for individual units. Psus have caps which don't last forever under load

5 Gpu 

The actual gpu chip can probably last forever but gpus have a circut board with caps that won't last forever, and the fan can go but I would hardly call that a dead gpu beacause you can still use it if you strap case fans to it or get a new cooler, but the caps and stuff on the circuit board isn't fail proof.

6 SSD, if you constantly write to it this won't be true, but with normal use no moving parts or caps means it should be pretty safe

7 Ram idk much about it but it's supposed to last forever unless it's defective

8 Cpu no moving parts and without an oc I believe these will outive your system like 4 fold, unless it has really bad cooling or it's physicaly damaged or a PSU kills it.

9 case, do I need to explain this one lol

What do you think? And is cpu easily the component that will last the longest?

In general I have seen graphics cards die faster/more often than power supplies, but like I said that is just what I have seen personally, I don't know if it is actually like that. 

External Hard disk 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I've never had a fan die... so strike #2.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

Really I just assumed fans were high up beacause people with mining setups have to replace coolers or strap case fans a decent amount beacause the gpus are always running, or at least I have read that.

6 minutes ago, The_russian said:

In general I have seen graphics cards die faster/more often than power supplies, but like I said that is just what I have seen personally, I don't know if it is actually like that. 

How did they fail ussuly?

Just now, handymanshandle said:

Ironically enough, I've never had a part die on me outside of a cheap SSD and a couple of mice. 

Suffice to say, PCs are not all that temperamental anymore.

Same, besides stuff I have physicaly damaged and a stick of ddr3 ram years ago. And a 560 ti I bought used years ago.

11 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

9 case, do I need to explain this one lol

from what i have seen the case is the first one which gets worn if no proper care is given

Just now, alirafi321 said:

from what i have seen the case is the first one which gets worn if no proper care is given

What do you mean by worn? I'm thinking if you don't physicaly damaged it there's no way it can ever break I maybe maybe worn but not broken.

10 minutes ago, shoutingsteve said:

I've never had a fan die... so strike #2.

That doesn't mean they don't. I've seen fans die before

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

1 minute ago, Hakemon said:

Capacitors.  lol.  (I'm part serious, but mostly joking as they shouldn't fail quite as fast as they did during the capacitor plague era).

Well that is why I put Mobo PSU and gpu before cpu and ram and SSD, them caps.

It's been in this order for me (though more due to how I've used them):

1. AIO CPU cooler (4790K at 4.8GHz+being 2 years old and cheapest)
  2. RAM (some of it got permanently bent somehow)
  3. Motherboard (4790K at 4.8GHz on 3+1 phase=bad)
  4. PSU (barely above "fire hazard" quality)
  5. SSD (1 just failed, the other maybe from BCLK overclocking)
  6. HDD (dropped or computer fell over)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Psybadek said:

That doesn't mean they don't. I've seen fans die before

It probably depends on brand/model quite a bit, a good sesonic fan or whatnot might last 20 times longer than an off brand peice of junk 

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

It's been in this order for me (though more due to how I've used them):

1. AIO CPU cooler (4790K at 4.8GHz+being 2 years old and cheapest)
  2. RAM (some of it got permanently bent somehow)
  3. Motherboard (4790K at 4.8GHz on 3+1 phase=bad)
  4. PSU (barely above "fire hazard" quality)
  5. SSD (1 just failed, the other maybe from BCLK overclocking)
  6. HDD (dropped or computer fell over)

How would an bclk of hurt the SSD? Did you oc your ssd and is that even a thing lol. And ssds have gotten better so if that was one of the original/early models that could be why.

Just now, Pc6777 said:

How would an bclk of hurt the SSD? Did you oc your ssd and is that even a thing lol. And ssds have gotten better so if that was one of the original/early models that could be why.

It was my NVME SSD. BCLK at 106MHz meant the PCIe slot was also at 106MHz...and the SSD's controller said "nope".

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

10 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

It was my NVME SSD. BCLK at 106MHz meant the PCIe slot was also at 106MHz...and the SSD's controller said "nope".

Makes sense, I only use sata ssds so I'm not familiar with nvme, would a bclk oc also effect sata ports?

Am I correct that the cpu would be the last part to die? Anyone disagree?

Mechanical drives ... more moving parts and heat variations increases risk of failure

water coolers ... pumps failing, tubes leaking water ... their performance decreases from moment you buy them

video cards  .... depends on design and maker, some have shitty cooling for ram, and these days gddr5x, gddr6 etc gets hot, and you can get errors

ssds  ... not necessarily about limited writes and erases, but a lot of times a failure is sudden unlike mechanical drives where smart will start to complain so you can react and backup your data. otherwise they're more reliable than mechanical drives.

fans .... they can lose lubrication and the plastic in the fan blades can degrade to point where blades can snap.... though there's very good quality fans which can last for long time 

power supplies ... rarely a problem, and when it is, it's related either to outside stuff that's out of psu's control like lightning strikes, bad electricity from your provider ... very rarely fans seizing or not working causing psu to overheat. A lot of models still have electrolytic capacitors which are sensitive to heat, but high quality power supplies will use adequate cooling and high grade capacitors that make them last for decades.

ram ... rarely fails but it's possible, when you have billions of "cells" holding bits they can go bad... luckily most offer lifetime guarantee.

motherboards... very rare, often it's bios issues (bios chip corrupted, bad profiles). Other times it's user being dump and dropping stuff on the cpu socket on Intel boards, or (quite rare these days as lots of chips have built in protections) causing ESD damage by holding boards the wrong way, touching exposed pins and contacts with their fingers and zapping the board.

Electrolytic capacitors were an issue in the past, these days motherboards use solid (polymer) capacitors in all critical locations so it's not relevant anymore.

CPUs rarely have issues, I suppose if they're ran at high voltages and overclocked near their maximum, they can degrade with time... but rarely ever just fail with regular usage

I'd add mice but they're peripherals ...  the cable can break at the joint with the mouse , or where it plugs in the computer if the mouse falls off the desk or whatever. Luckily cables are easy to find and replace (or you can just buy a 2-3$ mouse and harvest the cable from that mouse)

Also, it pisses me off they don't include replacement rubber/whatever feet in the package and hide screws under them.

If I want to open it up to properly clean the scroll wheel from crap accumulated over time, that material used to make the mouse move better will never be quite as before.

15 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Mechanical drives ... more moving parts and heat variations increases risk of failure

water coolers ... pumps failing, tubes leaking water ... their performance decreases from moment you buy them

video cards  .... depends on design and maker, some have shitty cooling for ram, and these days gddr5x, gddr6 etc gets hot, and you can get errors

ssds  ... not necessarily about limited writes and erases, but a lot of times a failure is sudden unlike mechanical drives where smart will start to complain so you can react and backup your data. otherwise they're more reliable than mechanical drives.

fans .... they can lose lubrication and the plastic in the fan blades can degrade to point where blades can snap.... though there's very good quality fans which can last for long time 

power supplies ... rarely a problem, and when it is, it's related either to outside stuff that's out of psu's control like lightning strikes, bad electricity from your provider ... very rarely fans seizing or not working causing psu to overheat. A lot of models still have electrolytic capacitors which are sensitive to heat, but high quality power supplies will use adequate cooling and high grade capacitors that make them last for decades.

ram ... rarely fails but it's possible, when you have billions of "cells" holding bits they can go bad... luckily most offer lifetime guarantee.

motherboards... very rare, often it's bios issues (bios chip corrupted, bad profiles). Other times it's user being dump and dropping stuff on the cpu socket on Intel boards, or (quite rare these days as lots of chips have built in protections) causing ESD damage by holding boards the wrong way, touching exposed pins and contacts with their fingers and zapping the board.

Electrolytic capacitors were an issue in the past, these days motherboards use solid (polymer) capacitors in all critical locations so it's not relevant anymore.

CPUs rarely have issues, I suppose if they're ran at high voltages and overclocked near their maximum, they can degrade with time... but rarely ever just fail with regular usage

I'd add mice but they're peripherals ...  the cable can break at the joint with the mouse , or where it plugs in the computer if the mouse falls off the desk or whatever. Luckily cables are easy to find and replace (or you can just buy a 2-3$ mouse and harvest the cable from that mouse)

Also, it pisses me off they don't include replacement rubber/whatever feet in the package and hide screws under them.

If I want to open it up to properly clean the scroll wheel from crap accumulated over time, that material used to make the mouse move better will never be quite as before.

I never have and probably never will use a water cooler so i didn't include that one, im surprised video cards are up so high on the list, maybe modern gpus are pushing the limits of silicon lol, when you have had gpus fail what was the cause generally? 

Hard drives and GPUs are the most fragile, and are usually the parts I have to replace. Usually the day after the warranty expires. There is no circumstance I would by either of those used.

Don’t think I’ve ever had a CPU or PSU die.

From my experience,

Hard disk are the most common failures I've seen

Then cooling fans bearings wear out (either GPU or case fans)

Then SSD, but not from constant read and write, but from sudden power loss (some SSD can die just from a power loss so take note)

Other than that, not much

Oh and my cat pissed on one of my computer case, making it rust, does that count? 🤔

edit: i totally forgot about AIO... hmm... top of the list I guess?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

7 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

I never have and probably never will use a water cooler so i didn't include that one, im surprised video cards are up so high on the list, maybe modern gpus are pushing the limits of silicon lol, when you have had gpus fail what was the cause generally? 

In the past, bad solder joints between gpu chip and pcb which are caused by heat cycling over time  video card heating up to 90 degrees, then cooling down, and repeat thousands of times .... when it's not manufacturing flaws like nvidia screwing up the solder between silicon and that substrate with the pads that goes on circuit board)

Ram chips going bad and causing artefacts

Some heatsinks (depends on design, can give as an example the old Radeon HD4850) can be clogged up with dust and hair (if in a room with pets), fans can go bad and vibrate or break blades.

Less often, the video card can be damaged through the hdmi connector, due to voltage differences between a monitor/tv and pc or static charge when inserting connectors into card/tv/monitor (that's why it's always recommended to plug the end of a cable with monitor/tv in standby or turned off)

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

From my experience,

Hard disk are the most common failures I've seen

Then cooling fans bearings wear out (either GPU or case fans)

Then SSD, but not from constant read and write, but from sudden power loss (some SSD can die just from a power loss so take note)

Other than that, not much

Oh and my cat pissed on one of my computer case, making it rust, does that count? 🤔

ssds can die from a power loss? how does that kill them and how common is that?