This is a REAL Nintendo Wii.

Tired of all these emulator handhelds? Looking for something more authentic? Why not build your own with one of the most capable retro consoles out there?

Buy yourself a G-BOY: https://store.bitbuilt.net/g-boy-rev-iii-diy-portable-kit/
Check out BBLoader: https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/bbloader-v1-1-beta.3564/

Buy : SanDisk 256GB Ultra microSDXC
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/LBw3t
On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/oDA4B
On B&H (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/l4kyjs

Buy : Authentic High Drain 30Q, 3000mAh Batteries
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/AivNs0

Buy : Dremel 3000-1/25 Variable Speed Rotary Tool Kit
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/54LNWia

Buy : Hakko FX888D-23BY Digital Soldering Station
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/yecV

Buy : URBEST 305M White PCB Solder
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/AHZA6aB

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

thank you

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

I just want to play Pokemon Red and Blue on my iPhone, how hard is that?

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

That is some high level hacking.  I'll bet they made sure all the logic was in such a small space with an eye towards the future, maybe being able to put the Wii on a chip and market it as a portable.  In fact come to think of it... they basically did... that.  

Why this over a superportable PC,  one of those that Linus has reviewed before.   The cool hacking factor of being able to do it.   The same reason Lightman wanted to dial into protovision and wound up playing the hottest online game ever.  Because it's cool.   

@GabenJr you bring alot of the most interestingly risky content on this channel.    One can only watch so many videos about bezels, battery life, and better FPS. 

Of all the hacks and jerry rigging going on here, by far the thing that I am most blown away by is the PCB cutting. I understand that obv all of the PCB outside of what was cut is non-critical, but it still blows my mind that you can actually start chopping off pieces of silicon and the OS will still boot, stuff will still work, and u don't see a noticeable impact on the hardwares abilities. I totally expect stuff to glitch and fail bc even though u made sure nothing shorts, the component the CPU or GPU is trying to reach is literally sawed off. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

that moment when I recognized you were playing Melee, just by the "press start" sound.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

That exceeds the level of being nerdy and is plain dorky........ 

I mean I could give it a little slack if it was already preconfigured and assembled. 

but now you are paying a dude 325$ to send you garbage with a map on how to spend the next 10 hours to troubleshoot in order to make it work...

why not just cut off the midle man and get a used wii and do it on your own you could buy an even better plastic enclosure than this cheap 3d printed one... even the screen is garbage at 325$ these greedy dudes didnt even include a decent IPS screen. 

Not to mention that since you are going to run boot-loaders and home-brew software + use it as an emulator it makes no sense to waste so much power (which drains the batteries fast) by using the original inefficient and outdated SoC + the bulk, you would be a million times better of using a 3rd party much more powerful and cheaper SoC/SBC with great battery efficiency and load the same stuff into it and save your self time and effort mutilating old consoles... Oh I forgot... atleast that is something the dude you just paid 325$ does for you.. he does it right? please tell me that he does it and you dont need to mutilate your own wii pcb on top of handing this guy 325$....

now, i KNOW the reason for the vice grip was to keep the screen in frame, but i'm choosing to believe the primary reason was so Linus wouldn't drop it

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

10 hours ago, papajo said:

but now you are paying a dude 325$ to send you garbage

To be fair you're paying a dude $325 to send you a 3D Printed enclosure, custom PCBs for Power, USB Charging and switching, face buttons, interfacing with the sticks and buttons, an amplifier circuit, hours upon hours of research and development of hardware and software by the wii modding community to make it possible. 

Is it for everyone?  no. 

Is it especially practical?  Not really. 

Sure you could use some other custom SoC or existing handheld, but you're going to be paying probably a bit more than this for significantly less compatibility. Consider that this is effectively a fully functional Gamecube and Wii console in your hand.  Not an emulator.  We're talking 1:1 compatibility because it's the genuine hardware, and sure, that's a novelty, but it's not terrible in terms of price. Consider that you can find Nintendo wii's with broken disc drives for around $10-20 on ebay, and it's a fairly compelling choice all things considered if you're like 1:1 compatibility with no compromises whatsoever. 

A fast enough handheld system to run the entirety of the Wii and Gamecube library with the compatibility of the ACTUAL hardware?  Doesn't exist.  In terms of efficiency, I don't think you could say that the actual hardware is less efficient than an x86-based handheld running the entire console in software, especially taking compatibility into consideration.

Like is said in the video though, this kit is for an electronics hobbyist to build for the sake of building it, like a ship in a bottle.  It's more about the journey than the destination for most people going out and spending the money on it.  

9 hours ago, B1ueskycomp1ex said:

To be fair you're paying a dude $325 to send you a 3D Printed enclosure, custom PCBs for Power, USB Charging and switching, face buttons, interfacing with the sticks and buttons, an amplifier circuit,

all that is available in various forms and packages already preassembled by various ventors for less than 150$ retail price shipped and you get a quality result with a better casing and IPS screen

e.g just as a reference https://retromimi.com/products/retro-game-350-rg350-game-console?variant=31982313177163&aff=110 for 129$ with a nice big IPS and aluminum casing. 

hours upon hours of research and development of hardware and software

This (I men "research") is a buzzword used lately mainly for nvidia to excuse their ridiculous pricetags the reality is that research needed to be done for every single technological bit since the begining of technology and it was included in the price from a simple windows 95 PC (or pc's in the 80s ) to the nowadays components and it used to be included in the price the wii for example had TONS of research more with many people involved (= and paid monthly for a years ) and its launch price was 250$ (mind that launch prices are higher than the prices the months following the launch) 

or an otherexample.. didnt the guys who sell that handheld for 129$ I just linked above need time to research? did they just glue random chips and stuff they blindly picked out of a bin and they magically worked together ? ofcourse they needed to research and develop the thing... only greedy car sales people (like nvidia reps) and people that dont know better use "research" as an argument to skyrocket the sales price. 

as for the software it's free and already available for anyone. 

Sure you could use some other custom SoC or existing handheld, but you're going to be paying probably a bit more than this for significantly less compatibility. Consider that this is effectively a fully functional Gamecube and Wii console in your hand.  Not an emulator. 

Half of that thing's salespitch is that you can use it as an emulator hence my reference on buying (or making) an already assembled kit with significantly better compatibility and power and battery life. 

Consider that you can find Nintendo wii's with broken disc drives for around $10-20 on ebay

And this is a reason why not to give somebody else 325$ for doing that. all you need is to buy a wii at the prices you already mentioned solder the cables yourself (which apparently you already have to do eitherway even when you hand this guy 325$) 

33 minutes ago, papajo said:

all you need is to buy a wii at the prices you already mentioned solder the cables yourself (which apparently you already have to do eitherway even when you hand this guy 325$) 

There is a fuckton of work involved with completely doing it yourself. You need damn good soldering skills and good equipment, a fairly thorough knowledge of electronics, and at the absolute rock-fucking-bottom minimum you need 50 CAD to make power delivery stuff and however much you spend on batteries, charging circuit, LCD, speakers, amplifier, etc etc etc.

Is 325 USD a bit much? Imo yes, especially since the people it's aimed at would likely rather DIY it themselves. But it's not as simple as you clearly think it is.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

There is a fuckton of work involved with completely doing it yourself. You need damn good soldering skills and good equipment, a fairly thorough knowledge of electronics, and at the absolute rock-fucking-bottom minimum you need 50 CAD to make power delivery stuff and however much you spend on batteries, charging circuit, LCD, speakers, amplifier, etc etc etc.

My argument is that the same applies when buying this garbage from that guy for 325$ because you need to solder those pieces together and it is as hard as if you didnt buy from him and just mutilated a used wii on your own. + you dont have to make a power delivery there are ready to use PCBs with all the logic you need to power the device and recharge even lithium phone kind of batteries. 

3 minutes ago, papajo said:

My argument is that the same applies when buying this garbage from that guy for 325$ because you need to solder those pieces together and it is as hard as if you didnt buy from him and just mutilated a used wii on your own.

He has done a fuck ton of work himself to make the kit as easy to put together as it realistically can be, and it's a LOT simpler than trying to do everything from scratch yourself. Clearly you have never attempted to make one yourself so please don't act like you know more than people who write these guides and design these kits.

3 minutes ago, papajo said:

you dont have to make a power delivery there are ready to use PCBs

You can buy ready to use PSUs from bitbuilt.

https://store.bitbuilt.net/rvl-psu/

4 minutes ago, papajo said:

recharge even lithium phone kind of batteries

This can be done with a simple off-the-shelf BMS/charger combo. One PCB, solder your battery and power input to it, done.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

11 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

He has done a fuck ton of work himself to make the kit as easy to put together as it realistically can be, and it's a LOT simpler than trying to do everything from scratch yourself. Clearly you have never attempted to make one yourself so please don't act like you know more than people who write these guides and design these kits.

No you clearly just dont know any of this stuff... cutting pcb's might be news for you but it happened since the 90s (from what I know probably happens since ever) there is a kid  that cut a ps2 pcb to make a handheld like 10 years ago cant remember his name for a link though but there are lot of other guys that do same stuff like that as well  

This is  already FREELY available knowledge on how to do that... this guy just got smart and sells you stuff he bought for a couple of bucks and makes you do the hard work just because he gives you a manual on how to do it without researching for a second... (but having to trouble shoot and do it yourself non the less which if you are a total noob = the people who would be interested in this being obvlivious that the knowledge to do that exist already freely on the web) but exactly if you are an electronics noob you are still risking failure soldering even a simple cable can be hard if you never done anything like that in your life before. 

And the list goes on and on there is tons of freely available guides on how to cut parts of a game console in order to reuse it in various ways. 

4 minutes ago, papajo said:

No you clearly just dont know any of this stuff... cutting pcb's might be news for you but it happened since the 90s (from what I know probably happens since ever) there is a kid  that cut a ps2 pcb to make a handheld like 10 years ago cant remember his name for a link though but there are lot of other guys that do same stuff like that as well  

I'm not sure why or how this is relevant to my point as the Wii PCB has to be cut regardless of the rest of the parts/kit you choose.

5 minutes ago, papajo said:

this guy just got smart and sells you stuff he bought for a couple of bucks and makes you do the hard work just because he gives you a manual on how to do it without researching for a second.

He's not monopolizing the Wii trimming scene so why does it matter that he thought he'd make the process as simple and approchable by noobs as possible by designing a kit from the ground up to be as plug and play as possible? If you consider the work he's put into this the price is very fair.

6 minutes ago, papajo said:

but having to trouble shoot and do it yourself non the less which if you are a total noob = the people who would be interested in this being obvlivious that the knowledge to do that exist already freely on the web

This kit is for the people who want to tinker a bit themselves but not have to handwire a fuck ton of stuff together and solder to 0.1mm thin traces just to get a Wii portable to work. You are completely misunderstanding the target audience here...

7 minutes ago, papajo said:

electronics noob you are still risking failure soldering even a simple cable can be hard if you never done anything like that in your life before. 

As said above, this kit is not baby's first electronics project. This is for someone who wants a nice middle ground between having to solder 32awg wire into vias and cleanly solder tiny SMD components and having three big through hole joints they solder and make an LED christmas tree or whatever.

8 minutes ago, papajo said:

And the list goes on and on there is tons of freely available guides on how to cut parts of a game console in order to reuse it in various ways. 

I still don't understand why you seem to think he is an asshole for trying to make portablizing original Wii hardware more approachable for outsiders of the hobby.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

14 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I'm not sure why or how this is relevant to my point as the Wii PCB has to be cut regardless of the rest of the parts/kit you choose.

He's not monopolizing the Wii trimming scene so why does it matter that he thought he'd make the process as simple and approchable by noobs as possible by designing a kit from the ground up to be as plug and play as possible? If you consider the work he's put into this the price is very fair.

This kit is for the people who want to tinker a bit themselves but not have to handwire a fuck ton of stuff together and solder to 0.1mm thin traces just to get a Wii portable to work. You are completely misunderstanding the target audience here...

As said above, this kit is not baby's first electronics project. This is for someone who wants a nice middle ground between having to solder 32awg wire into vias and cleanly solder tiny SMD components and having three big through hole joints they solder and make an LED christmas tree or whatever.

I still don't understand why you seem to think he is an asshole for trying to make portablizing original Wii hardware more approachable for outsiders of the hobby.

You are claiming that this kit is easy to assemble... but as far as I can see this needs you to solder the stuff together, it's mentioned even in the ltt video. so where is your point? 

He is not monopolizing the wii cut scene for sure what he does is like selling that freely available knowledge in a manual along with the parts that are the cheapest I have seen (like where to begin... the casing is just the lowest quality casing you could make only case worse than that is probably one made of cardboard andduct tape, the screen sucks as well its close to the 90's gameboy color quality. 

All the other parts are available to purchase in electronics stores for a couple of bucks total. 

and he doesnt include the PCB (lol I hoped he did but he doesnt upon checking the website) so you have to find a pcb and cut it and you have to buy the controllers and mutilate them as well (80% of the hard work) and you pay 325$ essentially to get a manual instead of making a few google searches or a post to a relevant forum on how to connect the controller outputs to the pcb and the pcb to the screen. 

so a total noob essentially needs to buy a soldering iron (the cheap ones make it even harder to solder properly especially if we are talking about tiny surfaces such as in this case) a dremel (god have mercy on  the noob's fingers) to cut the pcb along with a vice to hold it. 

The necessary cabling (I hope its provided but it doesnt mention that on the webpage)  or in other words he/she has to pay 325$ and spend about 100$ on top of that for the tools.

and solder the rest of the stuff together. 

And all that could be avoided by spending 10-20 dollars and just do a few google searches maybe a couple of posts on a forum. 

Or you could buy a ready to use quality made handheld at a much cheaper price or at the same price (for more powerful ones that can even play psp 3d games such as god of war) 

48 minutes ago, papajo said:

You are claiming that this kit is easy to assemble... but as far as I can see this needs you to solder the stuff together, it's mentioned even in the ltt video. so where is your point? 

I said it is relatively easy to assemble compared to completely DIYing a portable from scratch.

48 minutes ago, papajo said:

He is not monopolizing the wii cut scene for sure what he does is like selling that freely available knowledge in a manual along with the parts that are the cheapest I have seen (like where to begin... the casing is just the lowest quality casing you could make only case worse than that is probably one made of cardboard andduct tape, the screen sucks as well its close to the 90's gameboy color quality. 

The case is more than sufficient and there is absolutely nothing wrong with selling a kit that only needs a donor Wii and some elbow grease lmao. Not sure why you get so offended by it.

49 minutes ago, papajo said:

All the other parts are available to purchase in electronics stores for a couple of bucks total. 

Can you buy the various PCBs he designed at Digikey? No.

50 minutes ago, papajo said:

and he doesnt include the PCB (lol I hoped he did but he doesnt upon checking the website) so you have to find a pcb and cut it and you have to buy the controllers and mutilate them as well (80% of the hard work) and you pay 325$ essentially to get a manual instead of making a few google searches or a post to a relevant forum on how to connect the controller outputs to the pcb and the pcb to the screen. 

You can get a Wii for $10 at a thrift store. Cutting stuff is not hard at all. You pay $325 to get everything you need except $10-20 of hardware you supply on your own. I don't think you appreciate the work he has put into designing this kit.

50 minutes ago, papajo said:

so a total noob essentially needs to buy a soldering iron (the cheap ones make it even harder to solder properly especially if we are talking about tiny surfaces such as in this case) a dremel (god have mercy on  the noob's fingers) to cut the pcb along with a vice to hold it. 

You keep ignoring what I say about the target audience. If someone needs to buy a soldering iron to assemble this, the kit is not for them at all. That is their problem. 

51 minutes ago, papajo said:

The necessary cabling (I hope its provided but it doesnt mention that on the webpage)  or in other words he/she has to pay 325$ and spend about 100$ on top of that for the tools.

Bullshit, used Dremels can be bought for $10-20 if you can't borrow one from a friend for ten minutes, and as I said above, if someone doesn't even have a soldering iron (much less the skill to use it well) they shouldn't be buying the kit as it's not for them. Even if you have to provide your own wire it's another...what, $5? And the target audience for this kit will very, very likely have some at home already.

53 minutes ago, papajo said:

and solder the rest of the stuff together. 

The soldering is a piece of cake compared to doing it completely from scratch.

And all that could be avoided by spending 10-20 dollars and just do a few google searches maybe a couple of posts on a forum.

Please show me where you can get all the required parts for just $20.

Or you could buy a ready to use quality made handheld at a much cheaper price or at the same price (for more powerful ones that can even play psp 3d games such as god of war) 

Not the point of the kit lol, and emulation, as good as it has become, will never be better than original hardware.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

11 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I said it is relatively easy to assemble compared to completely DIYing a portable from scratch.

but it is DYIing a portable from scratch! that's exactly my point

The only thing you get by paying 325$ is the "convenience" to have to follow a manual instead of googling how to do it or making a couple of posts on relevant forums. 

if you pay 325$ 

Do you need the tools to assemble it such as buying a soldering iron vice and dremel? yes

Do you need to find your own PCB and controllers ? yes

Do you need to mutilate said pcb and controles? yes

Do you need to solder and stick those things in the casing ? yes? 

Do you need to install the software ? yes

the only difference is that you pay 325$ for the "experience" :P of having a guy inspire you to do it and giving you a manual. 

If had to DIY it yourself 

yes you need to buy all the extra components such as lcd screen and casing and power delivery circuit, fan etc yourself but guess what you can buy all of those EASILY via amazon or any electronics store CHEAPER and BETTER (the casing you can find cheap better quality ones at aliexpress or ebay or print your own if you have a 3d printer) 

you need to buy the tooling you need to solder etc as well

So its the exactly same thing the difference being you dont have a manual (but you have the internet and probably you wont avoid doing a few forum posts eitherway since even ppl that bought that 325$ package were forced to do so e.g https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/a-little-help-with-the-rvl-pms.3536/) you will end up with better components and you will pay a lot less than 325$ (maybe 20$ for the components, 30$ for a decent casing and about 25$ for a good IPS lcd + about 20$ for a defect used wii if you dont have one on your own total about 95$ more than three times less

The case is more than sufficient and there is absolutely nothing wrong with selling a kit that only needs a donor Wii and some elbow grease lmao. Not sure why you get so offended by it.

The case besides being rough and pixelated is 3D printed = it wont take wear and tare and probably or crack brake within a few months and it will feel horrible to your hands because its cheap plastic that 3d printers use and rough. 

Can you buy the various PCBs he designed at Digikey? No.

According to the seller what he provides https://store.bitbuilt.net/g-boy-rev-iii-diy-portable-kit/

• 3D Printed G-Boy Case (Includes all required screws, 3D printed parts, and battery contacts) <-- I already mentioned that above and just as a reference since there are 1000 variations and sized on that one
  • 3.5" LCD VGA Display <--- sucks balls you can buy a better IPS LCD full HD for about 25$
  • RVL PMS (Includes RGB LED PCB, Light Pipe and Thermistor) <--- the software and design of which was already opensource by an other guy and he took it for free and sells it for 65$ https://gmanmodz.com/2019/03/18/wii-power-management-system-is-now-open-source/ (pcbs for that can be found for a couple of dollars )
  • USB-C Charging & USB PCB (Includes SD to USB adapter)  <--- those are features including in the power managment ic mentioned above in the previous bulletpoint
  • GC+ v2.0 Controller PCBs (Includes front and shoulder button controller boards and 2x analog sticks) <--- the sticks (+ a few cents to a couple of bucks for the plastic caps I wont google for those because I believe you agree they are easy to find even for an electronics noob), as for the PCB you can cut it from the controller you dont need that GC+ thingy + there this guy that has done his own schematics for the controller AND the battery power management system and turns out all the parts needed are about 15$ see? this guy tells you what to do for free doesnt ask 325$ to tell you how to work your ass out to make one :P
  • Digital Audio Amp PCB <--- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eastern-Computers-PAM8403-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B07PF5BMSF 
  • Heatsink and Blower Fan (Includes copper cooling plate)  <---- again wont bother googlint stuff I think it's self evident you can find this stuff for a couple of bucks 
  • The kit DOES NOT include a console, ABXY buttons & Dpad (Buy NDSL ones), micro SD card, or 18650 lithium-ion cells! Those are the only non-included required parts. <---- I dont need to find a price for that because for 325$ he does NOT include it xD hahahahaha

Bullshit, used Dremels can be bought for $10-20 if you can't borrow one from a friend for ten minutes, and as I said above, 

I said about 100$ for a dremel a vice and a soldering iron.... 

, if someone doesn't even have a soldering iron (much less the skill to use it well) they shouldn't be buying the kit as it's not for them.

It's only for them (that;s why i said it's dorky)  because if you have a soldering iron and already tinker with electronics you can make one for yourself a lot cheaper that's exactly the main point of my initial post, whatever particulars you may not know beforehand can be found via google,software included. 

So the only target is people that are electronics noobs and dont know better and think they discovered america watching this guy telling them to cut their wii pcb and make it a handheld and are motivated to put the hard work and buy all that extra stuff... so if they have the motivation "point B" of my post is that they too could do it for a lot less just by googling stuff  everything that they need is  either opensource or  already available information (like the link I gave you from that guy with the schematics) 

The soldering is a piece of cake compared to doing it completely from scratch.

I still can't understand what you mean... THIS IS completely from scratch! you cut and glue and solder all the parts... the only thing provided is some ics that are readily available and a guide which all of its contents can be found on the internet for free.... 

The software is provided for free and available to be downloaded at any time. 

I mean ok there is a convenience not having to googling stuff and having a manual but not a 325$ one.... unless if you go to the WC and poop 100$ bills or have like a passive income from 2,3 apartments you rent 

Please show me where you can get all the required parts for just $20.

I was talking about the parts he provided but did not include the casing and the lcd but then again I think I just proved you that it's less than 95$ for all of them (and better performing ones e.g IPS screen) 

Not the point of the kit lol, and emulation, as good as it has become, will never be better than original hardware.

Then why it shows that is has so many emulators? 

+ emulation is equally good (if the hardware is strong enough and the console fully reverse engineered like it is in case of the older consoles the problems start if the hardware is weak so it jitters or drops frames etc or the console is not revers engineered fully which leads to bugs or incompatibilities with titles. ) with original gear the only thing that is different is the interface (e.g the feel of the controllers ) which you dont have with this kit anyway. 

Heck if you have a powerfull phone you could only spend 40$ for this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0814P8SL9/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0814P8SL9&linkCode=as2&tag=arzeon0c-20&linkId=7f544bfc6e729ead2712567a4a407f08

And play seamlessly wii titles at full FPS with a great phone amoled screen and like a half a day of battery life (playing non stop without charging) like this guy 

I wonder how it handles Skyward Sword?

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

17 minutes ago, YellowJersey said:

I assume you are refering to the phone here you can check how a one plus 7 handles it (same phone as the video i linked above)

9 hours ago, papajo said:

The only thing you get by paying 325$ is the "convenience" to have to follow a manual instead of googling how to do it or making a couple of posts on relevant forums. 

...no. One look at what is included with the kit completely debunks this.

Do you need the tools to assemble it such as buying a soldering iron vice and dremel? yes

Do you need to find your own PCB and controllers ? yes

Do you need to mutilate said pcb and controles? yes

Do you need to solder and stick those things in the casing ? yes? 

Do you need to install the software ? yes

You need to do all of this on a full DIY one lmfao. And on top of that, you have to build your own power delivery, battery/charging system, case, hook up an lcd, etc etc etc. Double the work at absolute minimum, and that is all hoping everything works together on the first try.

yes you need to buy all the extra components such as lcd screen and casing and power delivery circuit, fan etc yourself but guess what you can buy all of those EASILY via amazon or any electronics store CHEAPER and BETTER (the casing you can find cheap better quality ones at aliexpress or ebay or print your own if you have a 3d printer) 

The point of this kit is convenience, not to have the best of the best with razor-slim profit margins.

So its the exactly same thing the difference being you dont have a manual (but you have the internet and probably you wont avoid doing a few forum posts eitherway since even ppl that bought that 325$ package were forced to do so e.g https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/a-little-help-with-the-rvl-pms.3536/) you will end up with better components and you will pay a lot less than 325$ (maybe 20$ for the components, 30$ for a decent casing and about 25$ for a good IPS lcd + about 20$ for a defect used wii if you dont have one on your own total about 95$ more than three times less

He connected it wrong. His stupidity is not the fault of the board.

• 3D Printed G-Boy Case (Includes all required screws, 3D printed parts, and battery contacts) <-- I already mentioned that above and just as a reference since there are 1000 variations and sized on that one
  • 3.5" LCD VGA Display <--- sucks balls you can buy a better IPS LCD full HD for about 25$
  • RVL PMS (Includes RGB LED PCB, Light Pipe and Thermistor) <--- the software and design of which was already opensource by an other guy and he took it for free and sells it for 65$ https://gmanmodz.com/2019/03/18/wii-power-management-system-is-now-open-source/ (pcbs for that can be found for a couple of dollars )
  • USB-C Charging & USB PCB (Includes SD to USB adapter)  <--- those are features including in the power managment ic mentioned above in the previous bulletpoint
  • GC+ v2.0 Controller PCBs (Includes front and shoulder button controller boards and 2x analog sticks) <--- the sticks (+ a few cents to a couple of bucks for the plastic caps I wont google for those because I believe you agree they are easy to find even for an electronics noob), as for the PCB you can cut it from the controller you dont need that GC+ thingy + there this guy that has done his own schematics for the controller AND the battery power management system and turns out all the parts needed are about 15$ see? this guy tells you what to do for free doesnt ask 325$ to tell you how to work your ass out to make one :P
  • Digital Audio Amp PCB <--- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eastern-Computers-PAM8403-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B07PF5BMSF 
  • Heatsink and Blower Fan (Includes copper cooling plate)  <---- again wont bother googlint stuff I think it's self evident you can find this stuff for a couple of bucks 
  • The kit DOES NOT include a console, ABXY buttons & Dpad (Buy NDSL ones), micro SD card, or 18650 lithium-ion cells! Those are the only non-included required parts. <---- I dont need to find a price for that because for 325$ he does NOT include it xD hahahahaha

So he's including a case that will require zero modification to fit all the components nicely that he has designed from scratch, the LCD is guaranteed to work with the Wii (and why would you need 1080p on a device that only outputs 480p?), buying five PCBs from JLC (the cheapest manufacturer by a fair amount!) would cost a significant amount to produce and ship, never mind having to source and solder a bunch of SMD components (which will be more expensive as you'd likely only buy one or two of each, not buy dozens in bulk for steep discounts per unit), analog sticks that are guaranteed to work and be actually quality parts, an audio amp that will be plug and play and fit nicely inside the case, a heatsink that won't require zip ties to be mounted properly, and again, all of this will fit in the case he included and is guaranteed to work.

I said about 100$ for a dremel a vice and a soldering iron.... 

You don't need a vice, and not only will anyone who tries to assemble one of these kits already have an iron and experience soldering, but even if they don't they can purchase a TS100 or something that will last them years to come and make assembling the kit a breeze. Dremels can be borrowed from hardware stores or local maker spaces (or friends/family).

So the only target is people that are electronics noobs and dont know better

No, it's for people who want to tinker but don't want to put up with gathering information from dozens of outdated forum threads, designing a case for themselves, buying every little component from several different sources, putting everything together from scratch and hoping it works.

I still can't understand what you mean... THIS IS completely from scratch! you cut and glue and solder all the parts... the only thing provided is some ics that are readily available and a guide which all of its contents can be found on the internet for free.... 

This is basically as put-together as it can be.

I mean ok there is a convenience not having to googling stuff

Read a little bit above. There is a lot of convenience provided with this kit.

I was talking about the parts he provided but did not include the casing and the lcd but then again I think I just proved you that it's less than 95$ for all of them (and better performing ones e.g IPS screen) 

You did not prove anything to me. You pulled numbers out of your ass and chose the absolute cheapest components possible. At absolute, rock-fucking-bottom minimum you're going to be spending about 50 CAD on parts to build your own power regulators. This is assuming you source everything else for free from dumpsters or something. So, no, I don't buy the $95 claim.

And play seamlessly wii titles at full FPS with a great phone amoled screen and like a half a day of battery life (playing non stop without charging) like this guy

You really can't understand who this kit is aimed at, can you?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

8 hours ago, YellowJersey said:

I've had a lot of trouble running Dolphin on ARM devices. It's far from perfect.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Great video.

@linus, I know you have talked about allowing the staff to engage in passion projects that have some overlap to company interests and based on the console collection that Anthony has from the makeover video, I can tell this must have been one of his passion projects and the results were great. A really neat project with lots of great info on how to get it done.

• 2 years later...
On 8/26/2020 at 9:59 AM, GabenJr said:

Tired of all these emulator handhelds? Looking for something more authentic? Why not build your own with one of the most capable retro consoles out there?

Buy yourself a G-BOY: https://store.bitbuilt.net/g-boy-rev-iii-diy-portable-kit/
Check out BBLoader: https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/bbloader-v1-1-beta.3564/

Buy : SanDisk 256GB Ultra microSDXC
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/LBw3t
On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/oDA4B
On B&H (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/l4kyjs

Buy : Authentic High Drain 30Q, 3000mAh Batteries
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/AivNs0

Buy : Dremel 3000-1/25 Variable Speed Rotary Tool Kit
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/54LNWia

Buy : Hakko FX888D-23BY Digital Soldering Station
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/yecV

Buy : URBEST 305M White PCB Solder
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/AHZA6aB

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

On 8/26/2020 at 9:59 AM, GabenJr said:

I’m currently looking for one of these that is not priced at 675 usd or the PCB schematics