Windows 10: Don't know what's in a new update? You will now, says Microsoft

wall03
57 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Catalina update broke things.

Yeah Apple is not immune. I’ve had a few bugs but nothing to bad. 

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

had an Ubuntu system completely crap itself on the last major update.

I did something similar with a kernel update. The good news is I figured out how to switch between kernel’s on boot up or that could have been bad. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Well neat though bit long overdue. Still they need to bring certain updates like some UI more complete and not fragmented. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

39 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Yeah Apple is not immune. I’ve had a few bugs but nothing to bad. 

I did something similar with a kernel update. The good news is I figured out how to switch between kernel’s on boot up or that could have been bad. 

I've never had a need to run Linux on bare metal, only as a VM. I've had my fair share of PEBKAC moments with Linux, but I've always had an out by reverting to the previous VM snapshot I took prior to making any changes. Essentially, an undo button, do-over, mulligan, etc. 😉

4 hours ago, MageTank said:

I've experienced none of that

4 hours ago, MageTank said:

I've also used the sketchiest ISO's with no Defender, Cortana, default start apps, etc when benching.

That's probably why :P 

3 minutes ago, StDragon said:

I've never had a need to run Linux on bare metal, only as a VM. I've had my fair share of PEBKAC moments with Linux, but I've always had an out by roverting to the previous VM snapshot I took prior to making any changes. Essentially, an undo button, do-over, mulligan, etc. 😉

I’ve run Linux on a Mac laptop using multibeast, and as a dual boot on PC desktops. Not sure if either counts as bare metal.  I always had a fallback as well though. I needed it every time.  Speaks mostly to my poor grasp of Linux though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

That's probably why :P 

Lol, I am pretty crazy, but not crazy enough to use that sketchy ISO for my daily OS. That was me playing around with a tool I didn't really understand, gutting everything I could from Windows in an attempt to get slightly higher scores on some memory benchmarks. It was far from usable, as removing Cortana completely broke the search indexing at the time and explorer itself kept throwing a fit as a result.

I'd love to see a more "official" way to disable all of the nonsense in Windows. Having the option to remove this stuff through GPE without breaking other core elements of the OS would be fantastic.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 hours ago, StDragon said:

I've never had a need to run Linux on bare metal, only as a VM. I've had my fair share of PEBKAC moments with Linux, but I've always had an out by reverting to the previous VM snapshot I took prior to making any changes. Essentially, an undo button, do-over, mulligan, etc. 😉

Well due to AMD drivers being baked into the Kernel, you have a newer card you need a newer kernel. I just made the mistake of just continually updating it. Learned a good lesson. The reason I ran Linux on the machine compared to a VM was due to the fact I took a vacation from Windows. Even though Windows is installed in my gaming machine, my Mac sees more use. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.