Fractal Define 7 Compact Airflow

Henrik0x7F

So I'm in the planning stage of my new computer and am struggling with choosing a case.

I really like the look of the Define 7 Compact but I heard airflow is a problem and since I want to aircool with a Noctua NH-U14S I'm wondering if the 3900X will be thermally limited (GPU: 5700XT).

Most reviews test the case with the stock fans but I'm planning to put two noctua 140s in the front anyways. I don't want CPU and GPU sitting at 80° all the time, is that even possible with that case? I'm willing to wait some time for a meshify version of that case but if that ends up looking like the meshify c it's a hard pass for me. Can you recommend similar cases (looks, size, no TG) with better cooling?

On 8/12/2020 at 2:13 PM, Henrik0x7F said:

I'm willing to wait some time for a meshify version of that case but if that ends up looking like the meshify c it's a hard pass for me. Can you recommend similar cases (looks, size, no TG) with better cooling?

No tempered glass?

Interestingly, the only solid side panel option that I can find that's still relatively compact is the Cougar MX330-X. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

It's far from great for airflow, but I mean with the right fans you should be able to make it work.

The U14S might be a little tight in there though, especially if you go with the sound dampened side panel instead of tempered glass, since it's a really tall cooler. I'd instead suggest going with an NH-U12A.

What 5700XT model do you plan on going for?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

The U14S is perfectly capable of cooling the 3900X. For the case, you just need some high static pressure fans for intake. If you're going with Noctua, you should be fine with a couple of NF-A14 PWMs. Worst case scenario, you might just have to run them faster that you might have had to with a mesh front case (i.e. potentially more fan noise), but Noctuas are pretty quiet even at high speeds.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

No tempered glass?

I'm not yet fully set but it's not like I'm showing off anything. If there is a great case with TG only I might change my mind.

1 hour ago, Mateyyy said:

It's far from great for airflow, but I mean with the right fans you should be able to make it work.

The U14S might be a little tight in there though, especially if you go with the sound dampened side panel instead of tempered glass, since it's a really tall cooler. I'd instead suggest going with an NH-U12A.

What 5700XT model do you plan on going for?

The U12A is looking like a great cooler (sameish performance as the U14S at 120mm) though it's 30 bucks more expensive here so I thought I go with the U14S. It's a bit tight but I think with a solid panel there's even a bit more wiggleroom compared to TG, steel panels are thinner most of the time.

I was planning to get the Gigabyte RX 5700XT Gaming OC.

2 minutes ago, Henrik0x7F said:

steel panels are thinner most of the time.

The sound dampening material Fractal uses actually adds a fair amount of thickness, or at least it does on my Define R6.

3 minutes ago, Henrik0x7F said:

I was planning to get the Gigabyte RX 5700XT Gaming OC.

That's not bad, though I'd also look for an MSI Gaming X, Sapphire Pulse (or the more expensive Nitro+) or Powercolor Red Dragon (or the more expensive Red Devil), but if the Gigabyte card is cheaper than all of these then that'll work as well.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

7 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

The sound dampening material Fractal uses actually adds a fair amount of thickness, or at least it does on my Define R6.

That's not bad, though I'd also look for an MSI Gaming X, Sapphire Pulse (or the more expensive Nitro+) or Powercolor Red Dragon (or the more expensive Red Devil), but if the Gigabyte card is cheaper than all of these then that'll work as well.

That's good to know. But I think Fractals specification takes this into account. I also saw people here using the D15 in that case so I'm willing to take the small risk. It's not like a tight gab has performance implications for tower coolers.

What's better about the models you recommended? Just higher clocks? The gigabyte card is supposed to be pretty cool and silent.

3 minutes ago, Henrik0x7F said:

What's better about the models you recommended? Just higher clocks? The gigabyte card is supposed to be pretty cool and silent.

The Gaming X, Red Devil and Nitro+ are definitely better in terms of noise and cooling. The Pulse and Red Dragon shouldn't be too far off the Gaming OC though.

• 7 months later...
On 8/12/2020 at 8:13 PM, Henrik0x7F said:

So I'm in the planning stage of my new computer and am struggling with choosing a case.

I really like the look of the Define 7 Compact but I heard airflow is a problem and since I want to aircool with a Noctua NH-U14S I'm wondering if the 3900X will be thermally limited (GPU: 5700XT).

Most reviews test the case with the stock fans but I'm planning to put two noctua 140s in the front anyways. I don't want CPU and GPU sitting at 80° all the time, is that even possible with that case? I'm willing to wait some time for a meshify version of that case but if that ends up looking like the meshify c it's a hard pass for me. Can you recommend similar cases (looks, size, no TG) with better cooling?

Dude I'm you some 8 month later (I want the airflow of meshify one but I hate the front panel). Did you end up getting the compact 7 and if so did your temperatures stay reasonable?