Is this 6 pin to 8 pin pcie connector usable in a custom pc build?

NoobBoi
Go to solution Solved by NoobBoi,
9 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Are you asking why I think it would be fine? 1. Sufficient wire gauge, 2. Quality of manufacturing.

I'm referring to a 400W PSU with only a single 6-pin. You're invalidating your own argument if you tell me it's fine to pull 150W from it.

Simple, read the print on the side of the individual wires. 18AWG x6 wires on an 8-pin cable with 2x jumping off 2 grounds (150W), 18AWG on x6 wires on a 6-pin cable (magically can only supply 1/2 the power). Do explain that. The 6-pin/8-pin standard is pointless if you know what you're doing (which to be honest most people don't so that's where the "buffer" comes in you were discussing - it makes sense why it was made but physically it's not valid).

Thank you. That's all I was looking to get across.

I gave one example but agreed 95%+ of the time the situation wouldn't come to pass.

Agreed.

I will use a dual 6 pin to 8 pin, thanks for the help.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-6-Pin-Female-To-8-Pin-Male-PCIE-VGA-Power-Cable-for-NVIDIA-ATI-RADEON-USED/302925972012

3 minutes ago, NoobBoi said:

Is this 6 pin to 8 pin pcie connector usable in a custom pc build?

Link:  Mini 6-pin to 8-pin PCIe PCI-e Video Card Power Cable for Apple Mac Pro Tower

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-6-pin-to-8-pin-PCIe-PCI-e-Video-Card-Power-Cable-for-Apple-Mac-Pro-Tower/312609819912

No- it only fits the weird tiny power connectors on the Mac Pro.

Just now, Grabhanem said:

No- it only fits the weird tiny power connectors on the Mac Pro.

Strange..

Just now, Grabhanem said:

aka Apple does Apple things

I need a somewhat long 6 pin to 8 pin pcie connector

Without modifications likely not. If it's the Mac I'm thinking of it uses a smaller proprietary version of the PCIe standard connector.

Not to mention if you have a modular PSU you really shouldn't mix aftermarket modular cables unless they explicitly state they're compatible with your unit.

About the only way you could use this is if you got your hands on the female halves of the connectors and made your own backplane that wires into your PSU standard cables. IIRC LMG did something similar to this not very long ago. Don't remember the name of the video though.

2 minutes ago, NoobBoi said:

They make PCIe extension cables that plug into your existing cables you know.

8 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Thank you.

10 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Could you link me one?

14 minutes ago, NoobBoi said:

6 pin delivers 75W

8 pin delivers 150W

idk what you're trying to do but converting a single 6 pin to 8 pin sounds like a horrible idea

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

6 pin delivers 75W

8 pin delivers 150W

idk what you're trying to do but converting a single 6 pin to 8 pin sounds like a horrible idea

Where can I find dual 6 pin to 8 pin

Just now, NoobBoi said:

Where can I find dual 6 pin to 8 pin

im not gonna advocate a potential fire hazard so i will not link one here

if your PSU doesnt come with the right cables, it's not the right PSU for the job

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

im not gonna advocate a potential fire hazard so i will not link one here

if your PSU doesnt come with the right cables, it's not the right PSU for the job

Using server psu.

Using server psu.

is it a proprietary standard?

9 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

6 pin delivers 75W

8 pin delivers 150W

I'm going to have to argue this under the principal that the wire gauge between a 6-pin and an 8-pin regardless of it being a 400W unit or 1000W is usually the same. A 6-pin pulling 150W isn't a fire hazard, the cable isn't the limiting factor, but a 12V rail that wasn't designed to supply that much power over a 6-pin is.

If the PSU can supply the amps a lone 6-pin at 150W should be perfectly fine especially since many 8-pins jump off 2 grounds on a 6-pin. Only 6 wires carry the 150W load.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

I'm going to have to argue this under the principal that the wire gauge between a 6-pin and an 8-pin regardless of it being a 400W unit or 1000W is usually the same. A 6-pin pulling 150W isn't a fire hazard, the cable isn't the limiting factor, but a 12V rail that wasn't designed to supply that much power over a 6-pin is.

If the PSU can supply the amps a lone 6-pin at 150W should be perfectly fine especially since many 8-pins jump off 2 grounds on a 6-pin. Only 6 wires carry the 150W load.

got it.

got it.

What PSU do you have? Exact model number if possible.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

that the wire gauge between a 6-pin and an 8-pin regardless of it being a 400W unit or 1000W is usually the same.

yes, because each cable is still designed to carry the same amount of current, regardless of unit's total output capacity

a 6pin from a 1500W unit is still designed under the spec that it draws 75W max, same goes for a 550W unit

you may say they factor in factors of safety while designing, but the safety factor is a BUFFER, not for long term usage

also, as someone who doesn't wanna be responsible for someone's house on fire, i recommend based on specifications that the product should be designed around. it's up to him if he wanna takes the risk to do whatever he decides fits him the best.

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

yes, because each cable is still designed to carry the same amount of current, regardless of unit's total output capacity

a 6pin from a 1500W unit is still designed under the spec that it draws 75W max, same goes for a 550W unit

you may say they factor in factors of safety while designing, but the safety factor is a BUFFER, not for long term usage

also, as someone who doesn't wanna be responsible for someone's house on fire, i recommend based on specifications that the product should be designed around. it's up to him if he wanna takes the risk to do whatever he decides fits him the best.

I understand, will research a bit more, thanks for the help at least.

3 minutes ago, NoobBoi said:

I understand, will research a bit more, thanks for the help at least.

there are 2 6 pin to single 8 pin converter, if you so desire

but at least try to use 6 pins coming from 2 separate cables from your PSU

but understand the risk of not only potential fire hazard, but a failing psu can burn out your entire system, which is the main reason why i dont advocate taking shortcuts or cheaping out on them

Just now, Moonzy said:

there are 2 6 pin to single 8 pin converter, if you so desire

but at least try to use 6 pins coming from 2 separate cables from your PSU

but understand the risk of not only potential fire hazard, but a failing psu can burn out your entire system, which is the main reason why i dont advocate taking shortcuts or cheaping out on them

Thanks, longevity is what I need for this server gaming pc build.

45 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Then you acknowledge that the standard is nothing more than a safety buffer that prevents people from trying to use insufficient PSU's in systems that warrant more power.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Then you acknowledge that the standard is nothing more than a safety buffer that prevents people from trying to use insufficient PSU's in systems that warrant more power.

what?

if u said "Then you acknowledge that the standard is to prevent people from trying to use insufficient PSU's in systems that warrant more power."

then yes

if u are trying to say

"there's safety buffer designed, so it's fine to overload it"

no, just because u have an emergency fund laying around doesnt mean you should drive recklessly

19 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

what?

if u said "Then you acknowledge that the standard is to prevent people from trying to use insufficient PSU's in systems that warrant more power."

then yes

if u are trying to say

"there's safety buffer designed, so it's fine to overload it"

no, just because u have an emergency fund laying around doesnt mean you should drive recklessly

Alright, let's see if I can give you an example of where I'm coming from:

Let's say you have a 400W PSU and you want to adapt it's only 6 pin to run a power hungry GPU. I don't recommend it. Bad idea.

Let's say you have a 750W/850W/1000W/etc PSU and you misplaced an 8-pin modular cable but you have an 6-pin on hand and can get a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter cheaper/easier than replacing the factory cable you lost. IMO you're going to be perfectly fine so long as the adapter cable itself is of good quality. The factory 6-pin will handle 150W fine.

My argument is fairly circumstantial but the point being the 6-pin/8-pin 75W/150W standard is artificial. Physically it will make zero difference if you push 150W though a 6-pin. The problems start when you try to use a PSU that cannot supply that power.

17 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

IMO you're going to be perfectly fine so long as the adapter cable itself is of good quality.

"IMO" based on what?

also why cant a 400W PSU support 150W on a 12v rail if it's designed capable of so? in fact i believe most unit could deliver their full capacity on the 12v rail alone

Spoiler

image.png.1448d0320019074817977b5a27afa278.png

image.png.de5e2fe1617849b312e3cbd3720feebf.png

also, you may be right, the 6-pin may be able to handle it, but how can u be certain other than to test the cable out yourselves

granted, a lot of PSU actually pulls the extra 2 pin from 2 of the 6-pin. if u adapt those 6 pin to 8 pin then it's fine since you're just splitting the connection further down the line. (but then why would u use the converter anyways lol)

anyways we derailed the topic too far imo, it's basically "common sense" vs "by the book" if u ask me

@NoobBoimaybe you could find out if the PSU is using proprietary mount and cables, if it is then it's very tough to swap a new unit in, but if it isnt maybe you could get another server PSU that fits your needs, would be my recommendation