Is this 6 pin to 8 pin pcie connector usable in a custom pc build?

NoobBoi
Go to solution Solved by NoobBoi,
9 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Are you asking why I think it would be fine? 1. Sufficient wire gauge, 2. Quality of manufacturing.

I'm referring to a 400W PSU with only a single 6-pin. You're invalidating your own argument if you tell me it's fine to pull 150W from it.

Simple, read the print on the side of the individual wires. 18AWG x6 wires on an 8-pin cable with 2x jumping off 2 grounds (150W), 18AWG on x6 wires on a 6-pin cable (magically can only supply 1/2 the power). Do explain that. The 6-pin/8-pin standard is pointless if you know what you're doing (which to be honest most people don't so that's where the "buffer" comes in you were discussing - it makes sense why it was made but physically it's not valid).

Thank you. That's all I was looking to get across.

I gave one example but agreed 95%+ of the time the situation wouldn't come to pass.

Agreed.

I will use a dual 6 pin to 8 pin, thanks for the help.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-6-Pin-Female-To-8-Pin-Male-PCIE-VGA-Power-Cable-for-NVIDIA-ATI-RADEON-USED/302925972012

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

"IMO" based on what?

Are you asking why I think it would be fine? 1. Sufficient wire gauge, 2. Quality of manufacturing.

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

also why cant a 400W PSU support 150W on a 12v rail if it's designed capable of so? in fact i believe most unit could deliver their full capacity on the 12v rail alone

I'm referring to a 400W PSU with only a single 6-pin. You're invalidating your own argument if you tell me it's fine to pull 150W from it.

6 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

also, you may be right, the 6-pin may be able to handle it, but how can u be certain other than to test the cable out yourselves

Simple, read the print on the side of the individual wires. 18AWG x6 wires on an 8-pin cable with 2x jumping off 2 grounds (150W), 18AWG on x6 wires on a 6-pin cable (magically can only supply 1/2 the power). Do explain that. The 6-pin/8-pin standard is pointless if you know what you're doing (which to be honest most people don't so that's where the "buffer" comes in you were discussing - it makes sense why it was made but physically it's not valid).

14 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

granted, a lot of PSU actually pulls the extra 2 pin from 2 of the 6-pin. if u adapt those 6 pin to 8 pin then it's fine since you're just splitting the connection further down the line.

15 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

(but then why would u use the converter anyways lol)

I gave one example but agreed 95%+ of the time the situation wouldn't come to pass.

19 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

anyways we derailed the topic too far imo

Agreed.

10 hours ago, Moonzy said:

"IMO" based on what?

also why cant a 400W PSU support 150W on a 12v rail if it's designed capable of so? in fact i believe most unit could deliver their full capacity on the 12v rail alone

Hide contents

image.png.1448d0320019074817977b5a27afa278.png

image.png.de5e2fe1617849b312e3cbd3720feebf.png

also, you may be right, the 6-pin may be able to handle it, but how can u be certain other than to test the cable out yourselves

granted, a lot of PSU actually pulls the extra 2 pin from 2 of the 6-pin. if u adapt those 6 pin to 8 pin then it's fine since you're just splitting the connection further down the line. (but then why would u use the converter anyways lol)

anyways we derailed the topic too far imo, it's basically "common sense" vs "by the book" if u ask me

@NoobBoimaybe you could find out if the PSU is using proprietary mount and cables, if it is then it's very tough to swap a new unit in, but if it isnt maybe you could get another server PSU that fits your needs, would be my recommendation

Would this work (be a bit safer) 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-Dual-6-Pin-to-8-Pin-PCIe-Nvidia-ATI-GTX-GPU-Video-Card-Power-Cable-5/293625812329?hash=item445d765569:g:zp0AAOSwUPZbOVLr

9 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Agreed.

I will use a dual 6 pin to 8 pin, thanks for the help.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-6-Pin-Female-To-8-Pin-Male-PCIE-VGA-Power-Cable-for-NVIDIA-ATI-RADEON-USED/302925972012

3 hours ago, NoobBoi said:

Well, you don't have to worry about overloading any wires going that route. I do think it's a waste of a 6-pin though if you ever need a 6 & 8-pin or dual 8-pin down the road.

You never did mention what PSU you have. What are we working with where it doesn't have an 8-pin but dual 6-pin? Usually a pretty low wattage unit.

Regardless I'm glad you found a solution that will work for you.