So, the Evolv Shift Air needs a special power supply....

Radium_Angel

Due to space restraints, I was considering a vertical case, and I *really* like the Evolv Shift Air. I've measured and it will fit where I want it to go.

But in watching YT builds, it takes a special size power supply, something I've not run across before.

The one favoured on the videos I've seen is the Corsair SF600, which seems to sit at around 200$ (USA money), quite steep IMO for a power supply (and I"m unsure if it's fully modular or not)

The only thing drawing major power in the proposed built would be my old GTX 660

Along with an Intel Core i3-8350K (91 watts or so)

Other proposed parts would be as follows:

MSI Z370I mITX Gaming Pro Carbon AC motherboard
G.SKILL 16GB (8x2GB) DDR4-2400
Cooler Master MasterLiquid 120 all-in-one cooler

(this is all used gear)

So two questions:

Are there equal quality SFF power supplies that will fit the Shift Air case, for less money?

What kind of power requirements can I get away with? The plan is an m.2 drive and one SSD

Thanks for your input.

Please, no AMD suggestions, this is used gear I already have around, I wish to repurpose

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I got the sf600 Platinum (not gold) for around 100, so the price seems insane.

Even on amazon it is around 110$, which is a bit much but reasonable.

For your build sf450 should also be enough.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

53 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

The one favoured on the videos I've seen is the Corsair SF600, which seems to sit at around 200$ (USA money), quite steep IMO for a power supply (and I"m unsure if it's fully modular or not)

Yep, fully modular: https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/SF-Series™-80-PLUS-Gold-Power-Supplies/p/CP-9020105-EU (EU page, but just see the image).

There is a 80+ Gold and Platinum, but both are modular.

The only thing drawing major power in the proposed built would be my old GTX 660

Along with an Intel Core i3-8350K (91 watts or so)

What kind of power requirements can I get away with? The plan is an m.2 drive and one SSD

A good 450W would also work.

Are there equal quality SFF power supplies that will fit the Shift Air case, for less money?

Be Quiet SFX-L, Seasonic SGX, Fractal Design SFX Gold should be decent options too.

The tier list denotes SFX/small form factor PSU's as green colored.

I am unsure if the Shift supports SFX-L though, so the Be Quiet suggestion may be invalid in that case.

Please, no AMD suggestions, this is used gear I already have around, I wish to repurpose

Bu.. But.. But that's my purpose on this forum!

Spoiler

useRyzen2.thumb.png.e20a4bb57774e05e8837790b3ea6de98.png

/s

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The power supply is a standard format, but not the popular ATX standard.

It's called SFX  - you'll find plenty of SFX power supplies and you'll also find SFX-L power supplies which are just a bit longer and may not fit into your case ( may be blocked by bottom cooler or other components)

Even a 400 watts power supply will be enough ..  GTX 660 consumes up to around 130 watts,  GTX 660 TI up to around 150 watts.

Your processor... give it 120 watts, 20 watts for the motherboard and ram, 10 watts for the storage (m.2 and mechanical drive if any), 5 watts for the water cooler.

So you'll peak at around 250-350 watts on 12v when gaming, which is something even a 400 watts power supply is capable of providing. You can go for higher wattage models, the only benefit would probably be less noise from the fan due to higher efficiency of the psu (or beefier passive heatsinks inside)

Pretty much ALL of the power supplies here (maybe except the SFX-L ones, PCPP doesn't make the distinction) will work for your computer: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#t=10&sort=price&page=1

33 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Not a specialty PSU, just small SFX ones. Corsair and Silverstone have pretty good ones. 400W should be fine, more won't hurt and might run quieter. Corsair has 2 different model lines, the older ones are 80 PLUS Gold, the newer ones are 80 PLUS Platinum. Wouldn't buy anything below 80 PLUS Gold. In such a small case, full modular cables are very useful. Not sure about the smaller Shift but the larger Shift needs Extensions if you want to do proper cable management or just custom cables.

If you find a different one, look at the PSU Tier list and find out wether it's a decent one or not. 

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

Of course it's fully modular:  https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/Power-Supply-Units-Advanced/SF-Series/p/CP-9020182-NA

And it shouldn't be $200.  Unless someone is taking advantage of the current pandemic and price gouging (which isn't uncommon).

The price on Corsair.com is $144.99 and to "keep nice" with all the retailers out there, always has the highest retail price (don't want to under-cut your loyal resellers).