Laptop for video editing and ryzen or intel???

Ryzen or Intel?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. I need a knew laptop. i will be doing video editing and multi tasking a lot on it. my budget is around £500 (GBP), should i get a Ryzen 5 or an intel i5?

• Ryzen 5
    • Intel i5

Hi, i am looking for a new laptop. i have been through 3 laptops so far and they have all been very problematic. i am looking for one with preferably at least 256gb SSD, 8gb ram, core i5 or better.i dont know much about ryzen, but apparently ryzen 5 is good for video editing, and i will be doing video editing on it. i have a low bugdet at around £500 (GBP).

So,

1. should i get a ryzen or intel and what generation?

2. wich laptop should i get?

Many Thanks!

Ideally you would get 4th gen ryzen. But that depends on what country you are located in and what your budget is.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

3 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

Ideally you would get 4th gen ryzen. But that depends on what country you are located in and what your budget is.

sorry about that, i forgot to include that in the description. i edited it now, if you could read it.

Thanks a lot!

3 minutes ago, Any Tech said:

Hi, i am looking for a new laptop. i have been through 3 laptops so far and they have all been very problematic. i am looking for one with preferably at least 256gb SSD, 8gb ram, core i5 or better.i dont know much about ryzen, but apparently ryzen 5 is good for video editing, and i will be doing video editing on it.

So,

1. should i get a ryzen or intel and what generation?

2. wich laptop should i get?

Many Thanks!

Hi @Any Tech, I would be more than happy to help you find a laptop that meets your needs, could you please include your budget and what country you are shopping from within this thread?

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

2 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Hi @Any Tech, I would be more than happy to help you find a laptop that meets your needs, could you please include your budget and what country you are shopping from within this thread?

hI @Boomwebsearch 

sorry about that, i forgot to include that in the description. i edited it now, if you could read it.

Thanks a lot!

Ryzen 4000 would be best, but I dont know of any good ones in that price range. I would go for a used thinkpad. Either a thinkpad x1 carbon or t series.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

1 minute ago, zeusthemoose said:

Ryzen 4000 would be best, but I dont know of any good ones in that price range. I would go for a used thinkpad. Either a thinkpad x1 carbon or t series.

Hi @zeusthemoose , thanks for your helo, but its way out of my price range... i actually found this laptop on laptopoutlet: Lenovo V155 on laptop outlet

thanks a lot for your help!

5 minutes ago, Any Tech said:

Hi @zeusthemoose , thanks for your helo, but its way out of my price range... i actually found this laptop on laptopoutlet: Lenovo V155 on laptop outlet

thanks a lot for your help!

I dont have any experience with that nor have I heard of it before now. That said, the reviews seemed solid. An issue though is that the screen isnt great which might be bad for your video editing.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

1 minute ago, Any Tech said:

hI @Boomwebsearch 

Thanks a lot!

Thanks for the additional information, currently Ryzen processors hold the lead over Intel when it comes to multi-threaded performance which you are really going to want for video editing. AMD Ryzen 5/7 3rd gen or 2nd gen processors are likely the best options within your budget.

I would overall recommend this laptop (considering budget, battery life, processing, RAM, storage, etc):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-VivoBook-X412DA-Processor-Windows/dp/B081NKW4MS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=18Q5A0K977TGH&dchild=1&keywords=asus+vivobook&qid=1594649643&refinements=p_89%3AASUS%2Cp_n_feature_fourteen_browsebin%3A8322506031&rnid=8322536031&s=computers&sprefix=asus+vi%2Caps%2C275&sr=1-3

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

6 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Thanks a lot for that :) its a bit out of my price range, and not in stock and i really need one soon but i will look into it on other websites and consider it. for the meanwhilst i will look at what other people might suggest.

Thanks a lot for your help!

8 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

I dont have any experience with that nor have I heard of it before now. That said, the reviews seemed solid. An issue though is that the screen isnt great which might be bad for your video editing.

Okay thanks a lot for your time and help!

At this budget it's hard to find a new, decent model. Fine with used/refurb options?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

2 minutes ago, Any Tech said:

Thanks a lot for that :) its a bit out of my price range, and not in stock and i really need one soon but i will look into it on other websites and consider it. for the meanwhilst i will look at what other people might suggest.

Thanks a lot for your help!

I would spend the extra 50 as well there is just not a intel alternative at that pricepoint. We are talking about a ryzen 5 4500u which beats their best low power cpu which is a i7 10710U with 6 cores too but a lot more expensive.

10 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Thanks for the additional information, currently Ryzen processors hold the lead over Intel when it comes to multi-threaded performance which you are really going to want for video editing. AMD Ryzen 5/7 3rd gen or 2nd gen processors are likely the best options within your budget.

I would overall recommend this laptop (considering budget, battery life, processing, RAM, storage, etc):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-VivoBook-X412DA-Processor-Windows/dp/B081NKW4MS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=18Q5A0K977TGH&dchild=1&keywords=asus+vivobook&qid=1594649643&refinements=p_89%3AASUS%2Cp_n_feature_fourteen_browsebin%3A8322506031&rnid=8322536031&s=computers&sprefix=asus+vi%2Caps%2C275&sr=1-3

Hi, thanks i didn't see this post a minute ago. that seems like the best option so far! thanks a lot i will definatley consider it! also i am just quite nervouse about getting ryzen as i have never had one before, would you recomend it for multi tasking and video editing?

4 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

At this budget it's hard to find a new, decent model. Fine with used/refurb options?

Preferably not.

Thanks a lot for your time and help, i really appriciate it!

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I would spend the extra 50 as well there is just not a intel alternative at that pricepoint. We are talking about a ryzen 5 4500u which beats their best low power cpu which is a i7 10710U with 6 cores too but a lot more expensive.

I think this one is the best option so far: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-VivoBook-X412DA-Processor-Windows/dp/B081NKW4MS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=18Q5A0K977TGH&dchild=1&keywords=asus vivobook&qid=1594649643&refinements=p_89:ASUS,p_n_feature_fourteen_browse-bin:8322506031&rnid=8322536031&s=computers&sprefix=asus vi,aps,275&sr=1-3&tag=linustechtips-21

thanks a lot!

By today's standard, AMD 4th gen APU clearly destroyed Intel in every corner.

For $1000 you can get the top end 4800h, 8 core 16 threads monster.

At the lower end you can get 4500u with 6 cores for less than $600.

More than enough for video editing.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Oh no for sure not. This one is the best option by faaaar.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089BJZ8T7/ref=asc_df_B089BJZ8T71594447200000/?creative=22374&creativeASIN=B089BJZ8T7&linkCode=df0&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=linustechtips-21

You pretty much get double the cpu power here. The vivobook is super avoiding of listing it's exact cpu but in fact it is the old ryzen 3000 which is far worse than the 4000 series.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Oh no for sure not. This one is the best option by faaaar.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089BJZ8T7/ref=asc_df_B089BJZ8T71594447200000/?creative=22374&creativeASIN=B089BJZ8T7&linkCode=df0&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=linustechtips-21

You pretty much get double the cpu power here. The vivobook is super avoiding of listing it's exact cpu but in fact it is the old ryzen 3000 which is far worse than the 4000 series.

thanks, i will consider that also, although i dont know much about CPU, and it does cost a bit more. and its out of stock. i will see,

Thanks so so so much!

9 minutes ago, Any Tech said:

Preferably not.

Thanks a lot for your time and help, i really appriciate it!

Can consider Ideapad 5 14ARE05, even though it's slightly above your budget. Or Honor Magicbook, Huawei Matebook D15

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

thanks, i will consider that also, although i dont know much about CPU, and it does cost a bit more. and its out of stock. i will see,

Thanks so so so much!

Pretty much your want to avoid the ryzen 3000 series in mobile. So things like the 3500u, 3700u, 3550h, 3750h,... A lot and I do mean A LOT of sellers on amazon abuse the fact that they can just put ryzen 5 in the title and be very scarce with details about the actual cpu tricking you into thinking you are getting a new ryzen 4000 series cpu whilst you are just getting the old one. I cannot recommend the last gen 3000 series when the 4000 series exists as it's just so much better.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Pretty much your want to avoid the ryzen 3000 series in mobile. So things like the 3500u, 3700u, 3550h, 3750h,... A lot and I do mean A LOT of sellers on amazon abuse the fact that they can just put ryzen 5 in the title and be very scarce with details about the actual cpu tricking you into thinking you are getting a new ryzen 4000 series cpu whilst you are just getting the old one. I cannot recommend the last gen 3000 series when the 4000 series exists as it's just so much better.

oh, thanks for that. so i am really not sure, maybe i'll just pay an extra 50 for the other one if you really recomend it.

thanks!