Installing a 32 Bit Xp Driver on 64 Bit Win 10

MrAeRoZz

Hi, i am having trouble installing an old Label printer driver on win 10. Its an Avery 64-06. The Driver is only a .INF File. When rightclicking the inf file and install it says the signature of the driver is not correct. So I disabled the signature check from Windows and it says it succesfuly completed the task. The thing is the Driver still does not show in the Driver list.

Another method would be installing the driver via Devices and Printers. After selecting the driver manually it says that it does not find a x64 comaptible driver.

image.png

The third method would be to get it via the Print server window on windows. When I add it manually here, it says " the selected driver must be installed remotely from an x86 Computer using Typ 3 (user mode) drivers."

User-added image

The best way i think would be to just run the driver in compatibility mode, yet I have no clue how to do that with an inf file, as it does not have the option under properties.

Anyone has an idea how to get this driver installed without having to setup a xp installation?

2 minutes ago, MrAeRoZz said:

Anyone has an idea how to get this driver installed without having to setup a xp installation?

I really do not think that is possible. I would suggest just making a virtual-machine, install XP in it and using that for your label-printer.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

15 minutes ago, MrAeRoZz said:

Hi, i am having trouble installing an old Label printer driver on win 10. Its an Avery 64-06. The Driver is only a .INF File. When rightclicking the inf file and install it says the signature of the driver is not correct. So I disabled the signature check from Windows and it says it succesfuly completed the task. The thing is the Driver still does not show in the Driver list.

Another method would be installing the driver via Devices and Printers. After selecting the driver manually it says that it does not find a x64 comaptible driver.

image.png

The third method would be to get it via the Print server window on windows. When I add it manually here, it says " the selected driver must be installed remotely from an x86 Computer using Typ 3 (user mode) drivers."

User-added image

The best way i think would be to just run the driver in compatibility mode, yet I have no clue how to do that with an inf file, as it does not have the option under properties.

32-bit drivers can not be installed on 64-bit OS's. So your only real option here would be to have 32-bit XP on a vintage PC or inside a virtual machine to print to it.

Now if it really only has an INF file, that means that there is some generic "printer" driver it actually uses and you might get away with that.

Check what the first driver here does:

https://printers.averydennison.com/en/home/resources/service-and-support/printer-drivers-european.html

As it's listed as a Win7 driver and has 64-bit driver files and the 64-06 is in it.

4 minutes ago, Kisai said:

32-bit drivers can not be installed on 64-bit OS's. So your only real option here would be to have 32-bit XP on a vintage PC or inside a virtual machine to print to it.

Now if it really only has an INF file, that means that there is some generic "printer" driver it actually uses and you might get away with that.

Check what the first driver here does:

https://printers.averydennison.com/en/home/resources/service-and-support/printer-drivers-european.html

As it's listed as a Win7 driver and has 64-bit driver files and the 64-06 is in it.

I can only use that specific old driver and not a new driver. The Driver is used in a by a coworker self-written conversion software, and that software does not work with new drivers. 

Well then you have your answer. You cant install the old driver on a 64bit machine.

Either you need to install a VM running an older version of windows, or actually install an older version of windows on a PC for this purpose.

Or, far better, modernise the whole thing with a printer thats actually supported, and software that doesnt require all manner of hacks to get it to work.

5 minutes ago, Aragorn- said:

Well then you have your answer. You cant install the old driver on a 64bit machine.

Either you need to install a VM running an older version of windows, or actually install an older version of windows on a PC for this purpose.

Or, far better, modernise the whole thing with a printer thats actually supported, and software that doesnt require all manner of hacks to get it to work.

That is easier said then done. You cant just "modernise" a running system that is 15+ years old, with tons of self made stuff. I will try a 32 bit windows 10 installation tomorrow and see if that works

well, unfortunately, there comes a point when you do have to modernise it.

Hardware breaks, things get old. If that printer dies for instance, your stuffed. If the software is so bespoke that it cant talk to a standard printer driver, then you cant actually just replace the printer, and instead your scrabbing around on ebay trying to find a used 20 year old printer to use in a production environment... 

But i know how it goes with business, usually theres a mad rush for a quick fix when something dies, then once the bodged up solution is in-place, it gets forgotten about because its now working again. However its prudent to realise its all hanging by a thread, and put actions in motion to fix it.

7 hours ago, MrAeRoZz said:

I can only use that specific old driver and not a new driver. The Driver is used in a by a coworker self-written conversion software, and that software does not work with new drivers. 

That sounds rather dubious. If the co-worker wrote it, they can also fix it.

The thing is, a virtual machine is probably the only way you can keep things working as they were before, and that comes are a higher cost than either replacing the printer or replacing the software in the long run. I understand the desire to not just throw old hardware in the bin, but you've been offered two solutions, use the 64-bit printer driver, or a virtual machine/vintage machine to use the vintage driver. 

As an example of "making things work", at the office I work at, I've "rescued" a flatbed scanner that dates back to the Win9x era for one office worker by finding a driver, but not the driver it was designed for. I simply installed that 64-bit driver for the related model by force over the "unknown hardware" icon.

But what you're asking for here sounds like you should just install the 64-bit driver and have the software updated to a 64-bit version that can use it.

8 hours ago, MrAeRoZz said:

image.png

User-added image

Could you please provide the printer model number, so I can check the possibility of its drivers?

7 hours ago, MrAeRoZz said:

That is easier said then done. You cant just "modernise" a running system that is 15+ years old, with tons of self made stuff. I will try a 32 bit windows 10 installation tomorrow and see if that works

Yes, if you install Windows 10 32bit on that computer then Windows XP 32bit driver will work for sure. This is my personal experience.

7 hours ago, Nishant Kumar said:

Yes, if you install Windows 10 32bit on that computer then Windows XP 32bit driver will work for sure. This is my personal experience.

I would not say "for sure", but yea I agree

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I would not say "for sure", but yea I agree

Yes, we should not say "for sure" because sometimes it isn't compatible with Windows 10 and totally depends on the printer company's provided driver, so we can't make any changes in it. Thanks for correcting me.

On 7/8/2020 at 12:46 PM, WereCatf said:

I really do not think that is possible. I would suggest just making a virtual-machine, install XP in it and using that for your label-printer.

I'm running my old printer like that and just use google cloud print to send the files to the printer, it's really simple.

• 6 months later...

Just saw this and forgot the update you guys. THe Driver did not work on 32bit win10, 64 and 32bit win 7. The Printer is a Avery 64-04. There are more then 150 of these in the company. Right now the status is that the the software will be switched to nice label slowly, yet all the thousands of labels will have to be converted manually. Thankfully thats not my job lol.

2 hours ago, MrAeRoZz said:

Just saw this and forgot the update you guys. THe Driver did not work on 32bit win10, 64 and 32bit win 7. The Printer is a Avery 64-04. There are more then 150 of these in the company. Right now the status is that the the software will be switched to nice label slowly, yet all the thousands of labels will have to be converted manually. Thankfully thats not my job lol.

You probably have to install the drivers via Device Manager, while booting Windows 10 32-bit with digital signature disabled mode (it's one of the options after Safe Mode)