What is a good age to start learning programming? (any language)

terrytek

When is it a good time? I am trying to program in C, but I think it is outdated. I am trying, ATM, C++, C#, Basic, and Java.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Good age? Whenever you're old enough to understand it, the earlier the better. C isn't outdated but it isn't the most friendly language either. Stay as far away from Basic as you can, it is useless. JAVA is a good place to start, C++ is a good second and that and C# is what you will find most widely used in real life.

I am trying, ATM, C++, C#, Basic, and Java.

pick one and do it good

if you know little of everything, you know nothing

I started learning from the age of 11. It's a great skill to have.

Mid-2013 11" MacBook Air — Intel Core i5 @ 1.3GHz 8GB RAM.

BitFenix Prodigy ITX — Intel Core i5 4570 — MSI H87I — 8GB RAM — Gigabyte Windforce R9 280X — Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB — XFX TS650.

Any age really. You can try Python as a programming language as well. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

As early as possible really, just like any language. It often gets harder to learn a new language as you get older. This applies to programming languages too, but probably to a lesser extent. 

I'm personally just starting to learn programming on my degree course at 18/19. I also hear that there will be compulsory HTML5 lessons soon. 

Lol there's no age restrictions on when to learn how to code, but the younger you start the better you'll be later on.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

C is an old language but is still used, Java is very good language to learn because, you can do alot with with it and it will work on every computer, and Android games are programmed in Java.

As an age, it is hard to say, you can start playing with it at any age you want, but realy learn, 16 and above.

i am not a native speaker of the english language

[spoiler=My Rig: ]CPU: i7-3770k@Stock | Ram: 3x4GB@1600Mhz | Graka: 660TI@Stock | Storage: 250GB 840Evo, 1x1TB,2x2TB,2x640GB,1x500GB (JBOD) + NAS: DLINK DNS-320 2x3TB Raid1

Lol there's no age restrictions on when to learn how to code, but the younger you start the better you'll be later on.

C is an old language but is still used, Java is very good language to learn because, you can do alot with with it and it will work on every computer, and Android games are programmed in Java.

As an age, it is hard to say, you can start playing with it at any age you want, but realy learn, 16 and above.

As early as possible really, just like any language. It often gets harder to learn a new language as you get older. This applies to programming languages too, but probably to a lesser extent. 

I'm personally just starting to learn programming on my degree course at 18/19. I also hear that there will be compulsory HTML5 lessons soon. 

Any age really. You can try Python as a programming language as well. 

Good age? Whenever you're old enough to understand it, the earlier the better. C isn't outdated but it isn't the most friendly language either. Stay as far away from Basic as you can, it is useless. JAVA is a good place to start, C++ is a good second and that and C# is what you will find most widely used in real life.

So, all of you guys say, that any age is acceptable? Even if I was, like 2, I would still be able to learn?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Kindof, you will write crapy code, at young age.

Keep in mind, good Programms are well commented, well chosen names, written for humans not for machines.

i am not a native speaker of the english language

[spoiler=My Rig: ]CPU: i7-3770k@Stock | Ram: 3x4GB@1600Mhz | Graka: 660TI@Stock | Storage: 250GB 840Evo, 1x1TB,2x2TB,2x640GB,1x500GB (JBOD) + NAS: DLINK DNS-320 2x3TB Raid1

So, all of you guys say, that any age is acceptable? Even if I was, like 2, I would still be able to learn?

If you were mentally capable of learning it when you were 2 sure, I doubt that is the case for anyone though. I personally started when I was 8.

If you were 2 and smart enough to understand then your a god dam genius. There are more important things at that age to learn than coding lol... But hey if you were 2 and able to understand how to code then why not? 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Kindof, you will write crapy code, at young age.

Keep in mind, good Programms are well commented, well chosen names, written for humans not for machines.

Gotta do crappy to get good sometimes. Its a on-going learning experience!

It would be better to learn English at that age, but theoretically, yes. As long as they can understand what it does, then they're old enough. 

Unlike normal languages, you can't teach kids by just using it around them. It would be very difficult to speak to a child in C++ or Java, so they need to be able to understand what it will do. 

It is best to start when you come out of your mom's ....

Eh point is when is it ever a wrong time to try and start learning something?  If you clearly do not understand the material you are trying to learn after numerous attempts tackling it you stop with it and go back to it at another time.  I would say though that when trying to learn something new make sure you use as much free material as possible at first in trying to learn.  No sense blowing money when you don't need to.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

When you've got a good enough logic to make connections.

I know some people who started programming with Pascal,because that was what it was being though at school.

You could start with Java,it's very friendly and it's a nice introduction to OOP.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Read programming books to your children as bedtime stories.

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

Read programming books to your children as bedtime stories.

int main() returned 0 and they all lived happily ever after. 

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

the younger you are, the easier it is to learn.

honestly I wish I started earlier.

By the way, C may have been created a few decades ago, but it is still quite valuable to learn if you're venturing into languages that have built off of it.  Java, C++, and C# are all examples of languages that have evolved from the original C language.  Understanding why certain syntax is the way it is by comparing it to the older C language gives you an excellent understanding of the language's core ideals.

I started around 6 years old. My father is responsible for the interest after he wrote a program that self deleted itself on run, I wanted to recreate it. I took the Basic manual, read through it end to end and then sat down and programmed the same program my father had out of a magazine but I just did it straight off. From that point I have been programming. Went from Basic to peeks and pokes on the C64 and once I got an Amiga I used C and carried on with C/C++ on the PC with Borland and then it exploded with a lot of other languages. I think anyone with some basic maths and language can start to learn programming, its probably around 5-7 depending on language skills to read a programming book and basic math skills to add up and multiply.

There's no minimum. I intend to introduce my kids to computers and programming concepts as early as 5-6 years old.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Start with java, c# or python they are all easy to lean and useful for creating almost anything.

And I would recommend starting when you are about 13 or later, there is no maximum age imo but you must be able to handle basic math.

Curing shitposts by shitposts