Why isn't my Live USB Ubuntu Persistent?

Go to solution Solved by Nayr438,

Looks like Rufus has persistent storage option now for Ubuntu 19.10+, don't use Unetbootin, it causes more issues than it solves.

https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/08/rufus-creating-persistent-storage-live.html

I want to make a live usb of POP OS, so I can shutdown my windows and plug my usb and turn on Pop Os. So, I was watching this video (below), and he talks about bootable usb. But is that same as Live Usb / Portable Usb? If not please tell me a way to do it. Thanks!

If you want to recommend, other os that's also good! I want a light weight os, easy to use, and easy to install apps. I might do light gaming depending on space. But it's mainly for a secure os with only work in mind.

Thanks!

Linux can be booted from a USB, esp. if you want to do a sanity check on hardware that's seems hosed with Windows, for example; it doesn't need to be installed on a HDD/SSD.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

It's essentially the same in this context. A bootable USB stick is a stick you can boot from. Live means there's a live version of the OS on it you can use immediately without having to install first (after booting from the stick)

For example a USB stick with the Windows installer is bootable. You can boot from it and then use it to install Windows. It's not "live" because you can't run Windows directly off of it, only install it.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

11 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

It's essentially the same in this context. A bootable USB stick is a stick you can boot from. Live means there's a live version of the OS on it you can use immediately without having to install first (after booting from the stick)

For example a USB stick with the Windows installer is bootable. You can boot from it and then use it to install Windows. It's not "live" because you can't run Windows directly off of it, only install it.

You said it better than I did - thank you.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

44 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

so if I follow the video, I'll be able to go up and running on Pop os just by plugging it in and giving my usb boot priotity?

So, I installed Pop Os via BalenaEtcher on an micro SD Card via SD Card reader which has USB out, and ran it, which worked, I booted on Pop Os.

Now I want to make the Bootable USB SD card back normal. I am on windows 10, and I tried going to command prompt (as admin) then use diskpart to clean the USB, which resulted in “access denied”. Disk Management is also the same.

What to do? Help.

image.png.a51eeea818f9f9979f5ad7eb2d15ba07.png

4 minutes ago, Mr.Stork said:

What to do?

You didn't say if it's a normal-size SD-card or a microSD-card. Normal-size ones have a write-protect switch on the side that is rather easy to accidentally flip to read-only setting -- flip the switch and try again.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

You didn't say if it's a normal-size SD-card or a microSD-card. Normal-size ones have a write-protect switch on the side that is rather easy to accidentally flip to read-only setting -- flip the switch and try again.

Micro sd

10 minutes ago, Mr.Stork said:

So, I installed Pop Os via BalenaEtcher on an micro SD Card via SD Card reader which has USB out, and ran it, which worked, I booted on Pop Os.

Now I want to make the Bootable USB SD card back normal. I am on windows 10, and I tried going to command prompt (as admin) then use diskpart to clean the USB, which resulted in “access denied”. Disk Management is also the same.

What to do? Help.

image.png.a51eeea818f9f9979f5ad7eb2d15ba07.png

you need to run CMD as admin. Right click on CMD and look for "run as administrator"

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Just now, Sir Asvald said:

you need to run CMD as admin. Right click on CMD and look for "run as administrator"

You can't run diskpart as a non-admin, also

image.png.f8805b5ae7a46a81063450f8b9b7e35c.png

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

I did, read the thread description please

5 minutes ago, Mr.Stork said:

I tried going to command prompt (as admin)

1 minute ago, BobVonBob said:

You can't run diskpart as a non-admin, also

image.png.f8805b5ae7a46a81063450f8b9b7e35c.png

Ah, Okay I was talking running CMD ;) not diskpart.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 minute ago, Mr.Stork said:

I did, read the thread description please

Man, I've had a long day today 😂 LOL. Can you try formatting it through disk manager?

6 minutes ago, Mr.Stork said:

Micro sd

Do you have it in a full size SD adapter with a write protect switch there? Otherwise you can check the system event log to see what exactly is happening. Open up Event Viewer and check. I suspect it will be under Windows Logs > Application or Windows Logs > System, but you might need to look around a bit.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Just now, BobVonBob said:

Do you have it in a full size SD adapter with a write protect switch there? Otherwise you can check the system event log to see what exactly is happening. Open up Event Viewer and check. I suspect it will be under Windows Logs > Application or Windows Logs > System, but you might need to look around a bit.

nope. I have it on the small slot.

Man, I've had a long day today 😂 LOL. Can you try formatting it through disk manager?

haha. I have tried that, didn't work, says no permissions when I try to format

Just now, nox_ said:

Try this https://hp-usb-disk-storage-format-tool.en.softonic.com/?ex=MOB-593.6 helped me in a similar situation.

lemme see

reformat the usb to either exfat or fat 32

all you got to do is press the windows key + s, and type disk management, once you open that up all you have to do is right click your usb that is listed and reformat it.

you can use diskpart but disk management is far easier to use.

4 minutes ago, nox_ said:

Try this https://hp-usb-disk-storage-format-tool.en.softonic.com/?ex=MOB-593.6 helped me in a similar situation.

Alright, it says it's being used by other program, I don't see the drive in "This Pc". I tried running the BalenaEtcher on E: (sd card) again then it popped up in This Pc. Then I tried running your suggested disk storage format tool (as admin), and then it said it's write protected 

image.png.d3fb184ff747ccd3bd6b58105f6a5283.png image.png.2670e6b4ac59ce29cd5d8cc3d07901ec.png

5 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

where do I find windows logs?

Edited by Mr.Stork

3 minutes ago, Mr.Stork said:

Alright, it says it's being used by other program, I don't see the drive in "This Pc". I tried running the BalenaEtcher on E: (sd card) again then it popped up in This Pc. Then I tried running disk storage format tool, and then it said it's write protected 

Restart, then try again. Helped me, not necessarily will help you, but worth a try.

Just now, nox_ said:

Restart, then try again. Helped me, not necessarily will help you, but worth a try.

I did, and it auto went into pop os. I restarted and while I was about to select boot device I saw that the device's name is gone, I selected my SSD and went into windows. Then when I tried your Format software, it didn't detect the drive (image below). Nothing in This pc too. In Disk management I see it as a Raw storage, tried formatting, says "System can not find the file specified". (image below)

IMG_20200626_204707.thumb.jpg.35876c536989a2ba7f3db931c62372cd.jpg

image.png.fefbbdbc4dcaea229f310edbdd850d92.pngimage.png.0165083b5653ec5006d057f8d7b43022.png

4 minutes ago, Mr.Stork said:

I did, and it auto went into pop os. I restarted and while I was about to select boot device I saw that the device's name is gone, I selected my SSD and went into windows. Then when I tried your Format software, it didn't detect the drive (image below). Nothing in This pc too. In Disk management I see it as a Raw storage, tried formatting, says "System can not find the file specified". (image below)

Spoiler

IMG_20200626_204707.thumb.jpg.35876c536989a2ba7f3db931c62372cd.jpg

Spoiler

image.png.fefbbdbc4dcaea229f310edbdd850d92.png

Spoiler

image.png.0165083b5653ec5006d057f8d7b43022.png

Not sure what's the issue here, I would advice to do the format in linux, but that would be awkward thing to do for you I guess, I solved these kind of issues many times by just doing it in linux.

Just now, nox_ said:

Not sure what's the issue here, I would advice to do the format in linux, but that would be awkward thing to do for you I guess, I solved these kind of issues many times by just doing it in linux.

How would I go in linux, I only have windows on ssd, and one other 1 tb hdd. 

Just now, Mr.Stork said:

How would I go in linux, I only have windows on ssd, and one other 1 tb hdd. 

No flash drives on hand?

Just now, nox_ said:

No flash drives on hand?

I got one, but scared to do anything as it may result the same as this one

Just now, Mr.Stork said:

I got one, but scared to do anything as it may result the same as this one

Well, this is what I would do.Maybe others can come up with better ideas.