Building PCs requires discipline

Donballer
Go to solution Solved by Donballer,

I’m kinda lost on this part is there anything I could show you to help me understand what I need to do next

im so dumb I don’t even know what a stand-off is tbh

image.thumb.jpeg.e58a38c7c5aee69f5e5960119303a69c.jpeg researched all the parts I have and watched multiple pc builds on YouTube. This dang cooler is getting on my nerves 
I tighten up 1 screw on that there bracket shown in the picture and the other one is elevated in the air I apply lots of pressure to put it in position to be nailed in but it doesn’t catch it.

i am not a tech dude Speak to me like you would your 10 year old kid. I don’t mind. THANK YOU!  let me know if you guys need any further information to Potentially resolve this Issue for me.

Do not tighten 1. Just make sure it catches the thread and do the same for the others.

When all 4 have a grip then tighten them across from eachother

1     2

3     4

In this example you tighten 1-4 and then 2-3

Keep trying. Make sure you don't tighten the first screw very much, this will make it easier to get the second to catch.

Another option is to get someone to help you and screw in both screws at the same time.

To RGB, or not to RGB? That is the question.

- Shakespeare. Hamlet, Act III, scene I.

I've had some similar situations recently. If this happens I try to screw one side down just enough for it to thread, and then work on the other side. This keeps things flat and can help the other screw thread sometimes for me. This might not fix your issue but most of my problems like this are solved by using this method.

hey bro i bought a cooler master fan i faced the same ''problem'' but don't tight the screw to the max just a little turn so it can hold place and go tight the next one even if it dosen't reach the hole push it with your hands and be carefull to not mess the thermalpast 

7 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Do not tighten 1. Just make sure it catches the thread and do the same for the others.

1     2

3     4

I’m sorry brother can you try to explain by do not tighten 1. I’m sorry.

20 minutes ago, Donballer said:

I tighten up 1 screw on that there bracket shown in the picture and the other one is elevated in the air I apply lots of pressure to put it in position to be nailed in but it doesn’t catch it.

Unscrew both these screws:

image.png.63d8e379771104200f567584002d4c5a.png

Now screw in screw #1 a little bit, then screw #2 a little bit, then #1 a little bit more, #2 a little bit more.. etc. etc. until they are both tight.

By screwing down one screw fully, you are basically causing this:

image.png.020bda144a7c72abdd5785d83fd527fb.png

So if #1 is screwed down fully, #2 can't reach the part it has to screw in anymore, so you cannot screw #2 down.

15 minutes ago, Dujith said:

1     2

3     4

The four screws in the corners are probably only the bracket, while the two screws in the middle of the picture are actually the screws holding the cooler to the bracket.

While I agree with your 'corner to corner' approach, I don't think it's the four screws OP is dealing with.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Ok I’m beginning to understand. I applied thermal compound to the cooler and cpu already. Although the cooler isn’t applied correctly would you recommend wiping the paste off and doing it again? 

I have these gray and white things they’re a little bit bigger than the ones on the original picture I showed you are you sure i wasn’t supposed to put one of these here on that cooler instead?

also when you mentioned to twist #1 then #2 I’m not able to twist either unless I tilt the cooler a lil. Then leaving it elevating. THANK YOU FOR READING MY BAD MESSAGE.

3 minutes ago, Donballer said:

wiping the paste off and doing it again? 

Since it's a new application and it's not dry 

You don't have to 

If you can tho do it

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

4 minutes ago, Donballer said:

Ok I’m beginning to understand. I applied thermal compound to the cooler and cpu already. Although the cooler isn’t applied correctly would you recommend wiping the paste off and doing it again? 

I wouldn't bother with new paste.

It has not dried, so no air bubbles and stuff should form.

5 minutes ago, Donballer said:

I have these gray and white things they’re a little bit bigger than the ones on the original picture I showed you are you sure i wasn’t supposed to put one of these here on that cooler instead?

What cooler and what CPU are you using?

5 minutes ago, Donballer said:

also when you mentioned to twist #1 then #2 I’m not able to twist either unless I tilt the cooler a lil. Then leaving it elevating. THANK YOU FOR READING MY BAD MESSAGE.

From your first post, I understood you had screwed down one of these fully and can't 'start' to screw down the other one. Correct?

That's why I mention unscrewing both, to just kind of 'start over; with screwing.

When both are unscrewed, just start screwing down one of them a little bit, then the other a bit, rinse and repeat.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

From your first post, I understood you had screwed down one of these fully and can't 'start' to screw down the other one. Correct?

That's why I mention unscrewing both, to just kind of 'start over; with screwing.

When both are unscrewed, just start screwing down one of them a little bit, then the other a bit, rinse and repeat.

Nh-d15 cooler with i7 7900k 

Just now, Donballer said:
4 minutes ago, minibois said:

When both are unscrewed, just start screwing down one of them a little bit, then the other a bit, rinse and reap 

yes I did mention that. But when I have them both leveled(not screwed) I have to pick a side to screw down there’s no like just going 1 then 2 then repeat type of thing 

Nh-d15 cooler with i7 7900k 

These are the mounting hardware pieces you need to use:

image.png.ae81e69d822bdd0a833cae16ae5a70e2.png

Looks like the metal piece in your image:

12 minutes ago, Donballer said:

Here are those things I mentioned 

1E7EF728-A70D-4BF1-97A9-3B6D3E7AC2EB.jpeg

The metal piece says "NM-AM..."

That would be the mounting bracket for AMD CPU's.

So it seems like you have used the right hardware (assuming the items you used right now came from the same bag for example).

yes I did mention that. But when I have them both leveled(not screwed) I have to pick a side to screw down there’s no like just going 1 then 2 then repeat type of thing 

Sometimes it just takes a little bit of pressure.

As you can see, the screws have springs on them, so they will naturally push themselves away from the motherboard.

Screw in one side a little (like only a half rotation) and then use a bit of force to try to screw in the other side.

This is how the manual describes how it should be done:

image.png.eb59c9c48e8a7b4684a3cf8c201724ad.png

yes I did mention that. But when I have them both leveled(not screwed) I have to pick a side to screw down there’s no like just going 1 then 2 then repeat type of 

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

These are the mounting hardware pieces you need to use:

image.png.ae81e69d822bdd0a833cae16ae5a70e2.png

Looks like the metal piece in your image:

The metal piece says "NM-AM..."

That would be the mounting bracket for AMD CPU's.

So it seems like you have used the right hardware (assuming the items you used right now came from the same bag for example).

4 minutes ago, minibois said:

Sometimes it just takes a little bit of pressure.

As you can see, the screws have springs on them, so they will naturally push themselves away from the motherboard.

Screw in one side a little (like only a half rotation) and then use a bit of force to try to screw in the other side.

This is how the manual describes how it should be done:

does it matter what way I install the backplate? 

The backplate should have been installed as so it will fit in with the default backplate's screws:

image.png.85e7d8da015202708b83536e649e6a72.png

So in theory it could have only been installed one way.

2 hours ago, Donballer said:

Not with Intel, Intel mounting holes are in square pattern.

And as someone who has installed Noctua SecuFirm more than any other mounting, its the easiest it gets. I've messed up with both 212 Evo and Intel stock cooler, but never with SecuFirm.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

The bits you showed us in the second image are for AMD mainboard. They will not fit.

The Intel backplate only fits properly one way over the stock backplate (which MUST NOT be removed). Make sure the 3 bolts of the stock backplate align with the new Noctua backplate. You need the correct spacers for the LGA115x socket: NM-IPS1 as stated in your manual and the correct bracket. The first picture looks like as if you've used the right bracket.

The brackets only work one way with the threaded pin pointing up and the curve facing outwards. It looks like as if you did it the right way.

Make sure the cooler does not coolide with anything else in your case or on the board. 

Get 1/2 to 1 rotation done on one side, then switch to the other. You will need some force to push the spring down. There is no way around this. Make sure, the Cooler is still properly aligned and didn't move around. Get the second screw to catch.

If it doesn't work, try switching which side you tighten first.

If that doesn't work, try rotating the whole cooler including the brackets by 90° (see manual Orientation A and Orientation B).

When pushing down just make sure not to slip with the screw driver because that might destroy your board if you hit it after a slip.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

2 hours ago, bowrilla said:

The bits you showed us in the second image are for AMD mainboard. They will not fit.

The Intel backplate only fits properly one way over the stock backplate (which MUST NOT be removed). Make sure the 3 bolts of the stock backplate align with the new Noctua backplate. You need the correct spacers for the LGA115x socket: NM-IPS1 as stated in your manual and the correct bracket. The first picture looks like as if you've used the right bracket.

The brackets only work one way with the threaded pin pointing up and the curve facing outwards. It looks like as if you did it the right way.

Make sure the cooler does not coolide with anything else in your case or on the board. 

Get 1/2 to 1 rotation done on one side, then switch to the other. You will need some force to push the spring down. There is no way around this. Make sure, the Cooler is still properly aligned and didn't move around. Get the second screw to catch.

If it doesn't work, try switching which side you tighten first.

If that doesn't work, try rotating the whole cooler including the brackets by 90° (see manual Orientation A and Orientation B).

When pushing down just make sure not to slip with the screw driver because that might destroy your board if you hit it after a slip.

Ok thanks alot I will be doing these tips later today. 

so I applied thermal paste yesterday thinking that this would be super easy 

should I be wiping that paste off and doing it again? It’s been about 10 hours. 
also if you see those red lines right in the picture Is it ok if a little bit of paste is on those sides there?

E325B2F0-47DA-4E02-A2E2-364B64AA2E60.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Donballer said:

Ok thanks alot I will be doing these tips later today. 

so I applied thermal paste yesterday thinking that this would be super easy 

should I be wiping that paste off and doing it again? It’s been about 10 hours. 
also if you see those red lines right in the picture Is it ok if a little bit of paste is on those sides there?

E325B2F0-47DA-4E02-A2E2-364B64AA2E60.jpeg

10hrs is quite some time with lots of air exposure. If you have enough paste, wipe it off, reapply.

There's no harm if some got on the metal brackets but it might indicate a bit of a wasteful application.  Better have a little bit too much than too little. Too much makes just a bit of a mess (with regular paste at least, liquid metal might kill components), too little and you won't get good contact which will lead to higher temps. 

DO NOT leave the pins of the board exposed like that. They are extremely fragile. Put the protective cover back on. Never touch them, never put anything onto them except for the CPU. Even a tissue might catch on one and bend it which is dead unless you manage to bend them back carefully.

Don't touch the contacts on the underside of the CPU. Your skin has corrosive oils and fluids on it which may lead to corrosion in the long run. 

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

14 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

10hrs is quite some time with lots of air exposure. If you have enough paste, wipe it off, reapply.

There's no harm if some got on the metal brackets but it might indicate a bit of a wasteful application.  Better have a little bit too much than too little. Too much makes just a bit of a mess (with regular paste at least, liquid metal might kill components), too little and you won't get good contact which will lead to higher temps. 

DO NOT leave the pins of the board exposed like that. They are extremely fragile. Put the protective cover back on. Never touch them, never put anything onto them except for the CPU. Even a tissue might catch on one and bend it which is dead unless you manage to bend them back carefully.

Don't touch the contacts on the underside of the CPU. Your skin has corrosive oils and fluids on it which may lead to corrosion in the long run. 

Hey what do you mean about pins on the board are you just saying in general or did you notice I did something incorrectly? 

and yea I don’t touch the underside

Hey what do you mean about pins on the board are you just saying in general or did you notice I did something incorrectly? 

The pins inside of the socket where you put the CPU in. There's a black protective cover meant to protect it. It's missing in that picture which should never be the state you have it lying around.

Lift that metal lid up, put the bracket on and lower the lid again.

could you perhaps mark what your talking about. im really bad at tech. im sorry if its too much