Building PCs requires discipline

Donballer
Go to solution Solved by Donballer,

I’m kinda lost on this part is there anything I could show you to help me understand what I need to do next

im so dumb I don’t even know what a stand-off is tbh

15 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

The pins inside of the socket where you put the CPU in. There's a black protective cover meant to protect it. It's missing in that picture which should never be the state you have it lying around.

Lift that metal lid up, put the bracket on and lower the lid again.

also that latest picture i sent is not mines just a reference to ask about the paste being on the sides like that

Is it possible that these thumb screws are on too tight? 

026AFADF-14D3-4F79-B381-D6898AD81B5E.jpeg

1 hour ago, Donballer said:

could you perhaps mark what your talking about. im really bad at tech. im sorry if its too much

He is referring to the tiny gold CPU pins that are in the CPU socket, underneath the actual CPU itself.

A bit of thermal paste on the metal CPU mounting brackets is fine.

They just need to be hand tight.

Plus, it is hard to make them too tight because of the black plastic washers / spacers that is under the screws.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

17 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

He is referring to the tiny gold CPU pins that are in the CPU socket, underneath the actual CPU itself.

A bit of thermal paste on the metal CPU mounting brackets is fine.

They just need to be hand tight.

Plus, it is hard to make them too tight because of the black plastic washers / spacers that is under the screws.

i used a screwdriver on them, could that be the reason im having problems securing the cooler onto the cpu?

Just now, Donballer said:

i used a screwdriver on them, could that be the reason im having problems securing the cooler onto the cpu?

should i loosen them just a bit and retry the cooler process?

026AFADF-14D3-4F79-B381-D6898AD81B5E.jpeg

Good thing about SecuFirm is that you can't really make it too tight just by using your hands. Those screws are meant to secure mounting hardware to mobo. Essentially transferring weight of big cooler over whole motherboard. Same goes with the screws you had trouble earlier. Those have springs to stop you before you can apply too much pressure to socket.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, Donballer said:

Like I said, the black washers will stop you from tightening it too much -- even with a screwdriver.

You should be fine.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

2 minutes ago, Donballer said:

should i loosen them just a bit and retry the cooler process?

No, the problem you had/have is that you tighten the springloaded screws too much on one side. The correct way is to get one side just to latch, then do same to other side. Then do them little bit at the time until you can't turn them any longer.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

No, the problem you had/have is that you tighten the springloaded screws too much on one side. The correct way is to get one side just to latch, then do same to other side. Then do them little bit at the time until you can't turn them any longer.

thats sorta of what i do but ill try right now the way your saying it 1 second

39 minutes ago, Donballer said:

thats sorta of what i do but ill try right now the way your saying it 1 second

still doesnt work i made progress  tho i got the other screw latched but it wont screw after that and the other side pops off at this point i may just pay someone to build it for me

its too much im following all of the steps to the tee and still no hope :(

Both fans are pointed towards io shield is this ok? (Not a tech guy at all) explain like you would to your grandfather I’d appreciate it a lot74AB237E-33CC-46F1-8C19-B3AFA32F6332.thumb.jpeg.f6acd7a77d5e7b09132140172a388f51.jpeg

That'll work fine. It's typically better to put your RAM in before putting that second fan on as it can be a bit difficult getting your RAM in under that fan. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

2 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

That'll work fine. It's typically better to put your RAM in before putting that second fan on as it can be a bit difficult getting your RAM in under that fan. 

Thanks my guy I just noticed that rn I’m taking it out lol!

7 minutes ago, Donballer said:

Both fans are pointed towards io shield is this ok? (Not a tech guy at all) explain like you would to your grandfather I’d appreciate it a lot

Yup, that's alright.

P.S. keep in mind you might need to remove the fan (the one on the right in the picture) to be able to install the RAM into your motherboard (slot 2 and 4, counting from the left side is usually the default ones).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 minutes ago, minibois said:

Yup, that's alright.

P.S. keep in mind you might need to remove the fan (the one on the right in the picture) to be able to install the RAM into your motherboard (slot 2 and 4, counting from the left side is usually the default ones

Does it look ok? After this I’m confident a video will be able to assist me pretty well. 

Does it look ok? After this I’m confident a video will be able to assist me pretty well. 

IMG_0308.MOV 12.26 MB · 0 downloads

Looks alright.

Be sure to check if your sidepanel can close at the end though, since the fan on your right (in the original picture) does look kind of high up

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 minutes ago, minibois said:

Looks alright.

Be sure to check if your sidepanel can close at the end though, since the fan on your right (in the original picture) does look kind of high up

Is it ok if the fan is kinda touching the ram stick not too much but barely 

9 minutes ago, Donballer said:

Is it ok if the fan is kinda touching the ram stick not too much but barely 

So now do I just lay motherboard in gently  and align it with the screws in the case?

BC52274C-98B1-4CC4-87F0-8F861FC9AA6C.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Donballer said:

So now do I just lay motherboard in gently  and align it with the screws in the case?

First route the motherboards CPU power connector in the back and connect it to the mobo which is typically easier for cable management depending on the case of course 

EDIT - just looked at the pic, you have a small opening so will want to do this first before putting board in

EDIT 2 - and put IO shield in before motherboard - that is the metal thing with holes in it that will align in the rectangle opening at the back of the case by the rear exhaust fan.  Push in all four corners it will snap in, and aligns with the outputs of the motherboard when you install it.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

BC52274C-98B1-4CC4-87F0-8F861FC9AA6C.jpeg

First count the holes in the motherboard and check that the standoffs in the case have the same count and are in the same position.

Also move that fan wire out of rhe way, otherwise risc locking it in below the motherboard making it hard to get (or possibly rip a capacitor of the back of the mobo.

*If* you have a fully modular psu, connect the eps and 24 pin first, they sometimes need a bit of force to click and doing that on a flat surface bends the board less than when mounted on the standoffs.

Check that ram, cpu, cooler and optionally nvme drive(s) are installed. Plan ahead, should you van to hide some (fan) cable routing underneath the mobo, now is the time to figure it out and if needed route them between the standoffs to the disered side of the motherboard.

Dont overtighten the screws, boards can crack (but their not fragile, so dont worry to much, tighten but dont overdo it).

18 minutes ago, Bartholomew said:

First count the holes in the motherboard and check that the standoffs in the case have the same count and are in the same position.

Also move that fan wire out of rhe way, otherwise risc locking it in below the motherboard making it hard to get (or possibly rip a capacitor of the back of the mobo.

*If* you have a fully modular psu, connect the eps and 24 pin first, they sometimes need a bit of force to click and doing that on a flat surface bends the board less than when mounted on the standoffs.

Check that ram, cpu, cooler and optionally nvme drive(s) are installed. Plan ahead, should you van to hide some (fan) cable routing underneath the mobo, now is the time to figure it out and if needed route them between the standoffs to the disered side of the motherboard.

Dont overtighten the screws, boards can crack (but their not fragile, so dont worry to much, tighten but dont overdo it).

Could you explain this a little bit more I have an understanding but I’m not too sure (fan) cable routing underneath the mobo, now is the time to figure it out and if needed route them between the standoffs to the disered side of the motherboard.

Can only seem1 fan (topleft in your picture, exhaust), that one is fine (so close to mobo cable is almost always  long enough) , dont worry about it.

Optionally maybe the case has 1 or more fans on the frontside (intake). These will need to be controlled, aka connected to the motherboard, (mobo will have chassis fan headers in 1 or more locations).

The fan cables are only "so and so long" and might not be long enough to be routed on the backside of the case, or even if they could (but you decide this, and where the holes for cables in the case are) the hole they come through might be (just an examlple) above the motherboard while the fan headers are at the bottom of the mobo (again, just a example, it varies all by case and mobo).

So, lets for sake of example, you route a front fan cable through the back of the case (so its out of sight), through a hole or grommet alongside the top of the case to the front (where the mobo is), but fan header is at the right hand side of the mobo, you could route the cable in advance, inderneath the mobo.

This way when you connect it later, the cable goed nicely under the mobo and is hardly visible.

Note things like this make 0 difference for functioning, however cable managing can make it look nicer and more tidy.

If you dont have a transparent sidepanel or just dont care, its nothing important :)

Oh yeah I’m just trying to play games  competitively I know most of the community loves cable management but I’m not crazy on it and could live without. Would these steps still be needed if I just wanted to get it over fast? 

7 minutes ago, Donballer said:

Oh yeah I’m just trying to play games  competitively I know most of the community loves cable management but I’m not crazy on it and could live without. Would these steps still be needed if I just wanted to get it over fast? 

You can skip this: 

"now is the time to figure it out and if needed route them between the standoffs to the disered side of the motherboard."

Id recommend doing the other steps (for example a extra standof, or one in a different position than the corresponding hole of the mobo could short or damage the mobo if its hidden underneath the motherboard); and it just takes a couple of seconds.

but cable managment, yeah can be skipped, it can become the proverbial "rats nest" but as lomg as the connections are correct, the pc wont care at all. Just make sure before power on no cables are touching any gpu or cpu fans since that could turn ugly :)