Internet stuck at 100mbps

Survinar
Go to solution Solved by Survinar,

i found why my internet was so slow image.png.7561079032996b7fa1549b07c678cc1c.pngonly 4 wires were connected.

So im paying my isp for 1000mbps but i cant reach that speed i only reach maximum 100mbps ive checked almost everything, i have cat5e cables which is the minimum for 1000mbps, my motherboard supports 1000mbps, my router supports 1000mbps, also selected full 1000mbps duplex in windows and in the routers settings.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

how are you testing these speeds?

What speeds do you get on your local network?

Im testing them with ooklaimage.png.3eea6ea7a90d6832dee092a806f1a3a7.png

Just now, Survinar said:

Im testing them with ooklaimage.png.3eea6ea7a90d6832dee092a806f1a3a7.png

what results do you get on different systems?

What speeds do you get plugged directly into your modem?

Hi. Have you tried your internet on other devices like a phone through wi-fi or another computer? Have you installed all the drivers needed on Windows?

You can enter the device manager on Windows, see the model of your network card and download the drivers off the internet.

Also, if you want to troubleshoot you can also make a bootable Ubuntu Linux USB stick and see if the problem persists (you don't need to install it, you can run it on your USB stick). Here's how: https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1-overview

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what results do you get on different systems?

What speeds do you get plugged directly into your modem?

On my TV i get the same speed 100 up/down, and on my laptop its the same thing

I have been told by my isp that 1000 mbps is being transmitted into my modem and its not their fault and stuff

Just now, Survinar said:

On my TV i get the same speed 100 up/down, and on my laptop its the same thing

I have been told by my isp that 1000 mbps is being transmitted into my modem and its not their fault and stuff

what speed do you get connected directly to your modem?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

what speed do you get connected directly to your modem?

the same speed 100 up/down

5 minutes ago, Raploz said:

Hi. Have you tried your internet on other devices like a phone through wi-fi or another computer? Have you installed all the drivers needed on Windows?

You can enter the device manager on Windows, see the model of your network card and download the drivers off the internet.

Also, if you want to troubleshoot you can also make a bootable Ubuntu Linux USB stick and see if the problem persists (you don't need to install it, you can run it on your USB stick). Here's how: https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1-overview

im gonna try this just give me a sec

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

what modem?

try other speed tests

seems like a isp issue though

yeah i think it is im gonna call them to come check everything

What type is your ethernet cable? Have you tried a different cable? What are your wifi speeds?

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

1 minute ago, TomvanWijnen said:

What type is your ethernet cable? Have you tried a different cable? What are your wifi speeds?

I have a cat5e ethernet cable, i was thinking of buying a cat7 cable to see if that makes a difference and my wifi speed is 25 up and down 

Just now, Survinar said:

I have a cat5e ethernet cable, i was thinking of buying a cat7 cable to see if that makes a difference and my wifi speed is 25 up and down 

Hmm, cat 5e should be fine, but it could be that that cable is lackluster somehow, I've had that before as well. The wifi speed of 25/25 is appalling and shows that either your wifi sender is trash or something is wrong somewhere. Actually, if you get around 100/100 wired and 25/25 via wifi, then your wifi sender is definitely rubbish, or not configured properly somehow.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

You need CAT 6 to reach gigabit speeds.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

10 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

Hmm, cat 5e should be fine, but it could be that that cable is lackluster somehow, I've had that before as well. The wifi speed of 25/25 is appalling and shows that either your wifi sender is trash or something is wrong somewhere. Actually, if you get around 100/100 wired and 25/25 via wifi, then your wifi sender is definitely rubbish, or not configured properly somehow.

this is my router im using https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/wifi-router/tl-wr1043n/ and its on default settings

Just now, Survinar said:

cat5e is the minimum image.png.bcd174c2cb575b3639a7514629e09c5d.png

Had a client who can't reach gigabit speed either, told him to buy CAT 6 and he did, problem went away.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Had a client who can't reach gigabit speed either, told him to buy CAT 6 and he did, problem went away.

yeah gonna try to buy a cat 7 cable tomorrow 

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Properly speced Cat5e is perfectly capable and able to hit gigabit and 2.5 gigabit as well.

Shit like CCA cable is not in spec and will cause tons of problems. Additionally having cuts in the line will drop you down below gigabit. A new cable likely replaced a crap cable out of spec or damaged.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Survinar said:

yeah gonna try to buy a cat 7 cable tomorrow 

Please don't, Cat7 is not a TIA/EIA spec and therefor has no electrical standard to adhere to. It only exists as an ISO standard and is not recognized as an official standard. Cat6 or Cat6a is not only cheaper in almost all cases it's more likely to be good quality stuff*.

*Provided you don't have some shady seller trying to brand CCA as pure copper

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

27 minutes ago, Survinar said:

yeah i think it is im gonna call them to come check everything

What modem do you have? 

THat router won't give fast wifi speeds as it older. Try to take the router out and just plug your desktop in directly

It might be the cable image.png.cf5f452647e866b547b55c5b385a0222.pngas the link speed on the cable is 100

Just now, Survinar said:

It might be the cable image.png.cf5f452647e866b547b55c5b385a0222.pngas the link speed on the cable is 100

yea a 100 link sped would explain your issues

44 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

ad a client who can't reach gigabit speed either, told him to buy CAT 6 and he did, problem went away.

Your client must have had cheap crappy cabling. Because according to the standard Cat5e can do 1Gbps @ 100Meters. 

1 hour ago, Survinar said:

my router supports 1000mbps

Just because it has Gigabit ports doesn't mean it supports gigabit internet. Do you know for a fact your routers Lan to Wan and Wan to Lan throughput is Gigabit? Most consumer grade routers CANT do gigabit. https://www.smallnetbuilder.com the guys over here do a variety of tests on many routers, you can look yours up to verify. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.