Sony closing 20 out of 31 U.S Stores and 5000 layoffs

GoodBytes

Sony has announced that they will be closing 20 out of it's 31 stores by year end, in the U.S.

This part of it's restructure to bring the company finances in better shape.

sony-style-store-photo_800.0_cinema_720.

It is a company-wide cost-cutting effort, the company says.

Already, Sony has fired a lot of employees, sold buildings and sold their PC division, and a few years back sold their TV panel manufacturing, and now Sony TV uses Sharp panels and internals.

In addition, the company expects to fire 5 000 employees worldwide by the end of Sony's 2014 fiscal year, and continue in 2015.

"While these moves were extremely tough, they were absolutely necessary to position us in the best possible place for future growth," said Mike Fasulo, president and chief operating officer of Sony Electronics, in a press release today. "I am entirely confident in our ability to turn the business around, in achieving our preferred future, and continue building on our flawless commitment to customer loyalty through the complete entertainment experience only Sony can offer."

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/26/5450464/sony-closing-sony-stores-us-2014

Solution: Cut Pay at the top levels and give real people a chance to earn and still have a job.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

They've been downsizing for a couple years now, have seen friends let go from marketing and dev groups.

They used to make the best monitors and for some odd reason dumped that segment of their business. At work we have a ton of older Sony LDC's and CRT's still kicking butt. Why they dumped that is a loss to me.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Solution: Cut Pay at the top levels and give real people a chance to earn and still have a job.

This is pretty much Nintendo's philosophy, and while they may be failing, I think it's a good one to take up.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Sony had their own stores? O_o

Yep, they're all over the place here in the US. I have been to a few. They're nice and all, but they carry everything I could buy in the Best Buy or Micro Center that isn't in a crowded mall.

Also, hello fellow New Yorker!

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I wonder how much they spend on developing proprietary solutions to things rather than using industry standards and refining the user experience...

I am guessing quite a bit. I mean, a lot of companies do this too of which a prime example is Apple, but they at least are on stable financial ground.

It's not like anyone went to the Sony store anyways :P. I feel bad for those 5000 people though.

I was laid-off 1 week before last Christmas.  It was for a job that I relocated to and incurred a lot of expenses doing so.

I feel sad for no one.

Sorry for the pessimistic view, however.

I was laid-off 1 week before last Christmas.  It was for a job that I relocated to and incurred a lot of expenses doing so.

I feel sad for no one.

Sorry for the pessimistic view, however.

No apologies are necessary we know we live in a pretty cutthroat job market.

-------

Current Rig

-------

That really could pay for those employees' salaries, depending on how much the execs are paid.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Yep, they're all over the place here in the US. I have been to a few. They're nice and all, but they carry everything I could buy in the Best Buy or Micro Center that isn't in a crowded mall.

Also, hello fellow New Yorker!

in Roosevelt field mall the sony store is right next to the apple store. and its depressing how the apple store is filled and the sony store is emptier than a empty cereal box

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

in Roosevelt field mall the sony store is right next to the apple store. and its depressing how the apple store is filled and the sony store is emptier than a empty cereal box

I love Roosevelt Field, and yeah. It's pretty sad :(

Sony has stores? Didn't know. 

They need to do these things to really save money:

1) Just flat out close down all of your stores, in the U.S. at least. 

2) Use industry standards 

3) Cut executive salaries 

COMIC SANS

I also didn't know they had any xD

They've had stores for at least 10 years, we've purchased a TV from a Sony store in the past. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2