Microsoft changes the Insider program of Windows 10

GoodBytes

Microsoft announces that it is changing the Windows 10 Insider Program with a new model/approach. Under its new leadership, it now aims to change how the program runs to better suite the current times in terms of development of the Windows 10 OS, which has changed.

Amanda Langowski, a prominent developer at Microsoft who pushed the idea of the Insider Program for years, is now in charge of the program, is changing how the program was original designed. In the past, at a public level, users had 2 rings to choose from: Fast Ring and Slow Ring.

ring2.thumb.jpg.11bddb66407be08c17b4ddac4aa81db9.jpg

In the above diagram, the green rings are the ones available to the public. Unless there was a problem or holiday, essentially, the rate of release was weekly for the Fast Ring, and Slow Ring was on a monthly basis (they picked the best fast ring release, which often times was the or near latest). A third ring was added later, but was more considered a 'channel' release, which was Release Preview. This was the release of Windows 10 version in Release Candidate stage. There was also a fourth ring that was in between Microsoft ring and Fast Ring that came and went called "Skip Ahead", which was only availible for those who didn't want to stick with the polishing releases of Windows 10 of a release, and jump ahead to the next version, but, from what I recall, there were never new features, it was all backend stuff for setting up the ground works of new features.

We are transitioning and converting our current ring model, based on the frequency of builds, to a new channel model that pivots on the quality of builds and better supports parallel coding efforts. In addition to this change, Insiders will also find similar offering names and expectations across Windows and Office programs and soon Microsoft Edge and Microsoft Teams. Our goal is to not only make it clearer for existing Insiders to choose the experience that’s right for them, but also for new Insiders to pick the right channel as they join. The Insider community is very important to us all and we’re working to align how all our Insider programs work better together across Microsoft.

So this is now changing to a new model. The model is full on channel base.

There will now be 3 channels to picks:

• Release Preview (remains)
  • Beta (replaces Slow Ring)
  • Dev (replaces Fast Ring)

On the surface they looks like a rename, but that is not accurate.

They are defined as follow:

be63c233f03586473dc5a970f53d284d.thumb.png.106063daaab994a2a49cb529ed6d4389.png

Microsoft notes that those on the Dev Channel, may get features that will NOT reach the coming up version of Windows 10, but rather later, or much later. Technically, although not specified, it cut off all together (poor reception, for example), which has happened in the past. This is important to note and not to forget.

Microsoft recommendation and target for each channel are essentially as so:

• Dev: For "highly technical users". In other words, people who can live with issues and don't mind dealing/troubleshooting them to access the latest APIs and feature set.
  • Beta: For current Insiders and IT Professionals who want to test the coming up version of Windows with its feature set reaching closer to polish stages. 
  • Release Preview: Same as now. So great for anyone who needs to or want to do validation of the release candidate type release before it hits the official channel.

If you are part of the Office Insider program, the above looks very similar. The only difference is that Office doesn't have Dev channel.  So now Office and Windows Insider are now aligned.

Current Insiders don't need to do anything. On the next release (now, actually), Fast Ring will be moved to Dev Channel. When a Beta release will be ready, Slow Ring users will be moved to it.

If you want to change channels, now, for Insiders, simply go to: Settings > Update & Security > Windows Insider Program, and click on your Ring, and pick the ring that will join you to the channel you want).

For those who want to jump in now. As it just got started, you'll still see the old rings until everything get migrated to the channel, which Microsoft aims to be at the end of month.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/06/15/introducing-windows-insider-channels/

Hmm, nice. This is very similar to the model used for Edge and Office, I can appreciate this change.

I guess I will be on the Beta Channel moving forward [currently in the Slow Ring].

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

The wording is amusing.  Seeing Beta claiming as "reliable" and Release Preview as "advanced quality updates", when even public releases haven't been either of those things!

Although at least with the latest update they seem to have caught it before it caused too much trouble.  Though not sure why they felt the need to tell me there is a new update coming but its not ready for my PC yet.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

35 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Although at least with the latest update they seem to have caught it before it caused too much trouble.  Though not sure why they felt the need to tell me there is a new update coming but its not ready for my PC yet.

Ah, you see, in the past, it didn't tell you this. They added this, because people where wondering why they didn't get an update, while they were just not delivered to them due to a known compatibility issue. Many, forced update, not knowing that that was the reason, and they faced the known issues.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Ah, you see, in the past, it didn't tell you this. They added this, because people where wondering why they didn't get an update, while they were just not delivered to them due to a known compatibility issue. Many, forced update, not knowing that that was the reason, and they faced the known issues.

I figured so, but wouldn't the better option be to not allow someone to force an update that is broken in the first place?

I believe even the install ISO is now the new version which seems very premature if using it would result in a broken OS.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I figured so, but wouldn't the better option be to not allow someone to force an update that is broken in the first place?

you forced it over them recommending you not, kinda on you the user.

cool what really just seems to be name changes with some small changes

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

All these changes mean absolutely nothing, if Microsoft continues to ignore the feedback they're getting from the Insiders. The issue with printing that @TrigrH there mentioned, for example, had been reported by Insiders months ago already. Actually, all the issues with the patch had already been reported months ago by a large number of Insiders and....nothing. Nada. The devs at Microsoft ignored all the feedback.

This all seems to me like just management trying to make themselves look important and nothing more.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 hour ago, TrigrH said:

Broken updates are still hitting home users wayy before they are ready. Had to uninstall KB4560960 from two machines this week as it completely broke the ability to print.

They always will, there is no possible way MS (or any company for that matter) can release an update for an OS that won't fail at all.   There is nothing MS can do to avoid this, if they could they would.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So kinda more streamlined and in line with rest, that's good. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I guess I can live in hope they also make some changes at the other end of the scale: make LTSB available to individuals.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

14 hours ago, mr moose said:

They always will, there is no possible way MS (or any company for that matter) can release an update for an OS that won't fail at all.   There is nothing MS can do to avoid this, if they could they would.

You seen to have missed the post where its explained most issues are well reported by insiders so COULD have been avoided.  This is literally supposed to be the whole point of the insider programme.

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

You seen to have missed the post where its explained most issues are well reported by insiders so COULD have been avoided.  This is literally supposed to be the whole point of the insider programme.

I didn't miss it.    The person I quoted made a comment that shows an observation from within a specific environment that highlights specific issues, I am just saying if we move outside of that environment and consider the whole the number of issues e.i windows does not appear have more broken updates than any of the other major OS like ios, android or Mac os.  

So the question of does the insider program work,  obviously it doesn't work as well as they'd like or they wouldn't restructure it, but just because some people have problems with it doesn't mean the whole thing is a failure and updates are always broken.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

11 hours ago, mr moose said:

So the question of does the insider program work,  obviously it doesn't work as well as they'd like or they wouldn't restructure it, but just because some people have problems with it doesn't mean the whole thing is a failure and updates are always broken.

That, I can agree. Especially since Windows has a lot of components and they have to maintain it for both consumer and business customers.

Looking at the 20H2 and the return on the optional updates, they have done some changes there as well. Mainy, 20H2 features will be available for testing to all (no A/B testing) and the optional updates will have a preview attached (I think insiders with receive an early preview first before making it a public preview). I guess they are are improving how they test updates slowly.

On 6/17/2020 at 5:29 AM, SansVarnic said:

Hmm, nice. This is very similar to the model used for Edge and Office, I can appreciate this change.

I guess I will be on the Beta Channel moving forward [currently in the Slow Ring].

office?

Also do you know if theres a changelog for canary/whatever builds out there?

✨FNIGE✨