DirectX & OpenGL to open up low-level access

DonPOETA

Had a feeling this would happen.

Good news overall.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

PC gamers finally getting what they paid for.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Here's the catch....

wait for it

ONLY ON WINDOWS 8.1!!!

just wait!

-_-

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Here's the catch....

wait for it

ONLY ON WINDOWS 8.1!!!

just wait!

-_-

Windows 9. And will probably have an update for Windows 8.x.

It is a repost, but I like your post.

You say that you want DirectX dead, but seeing how AMD themselves, come in, and that Microsoft is investing it's resources to improve OpenGL as well as it's DirectX, shows that DirectX has something that OpenGL doesn't, and Microsoft is not worried about a thing. And it does explain why a huge number of developers prefer DirectX over OpenGL.

Funniest post I have ever read.

MS isn't worried about a thing huh? More like they are scared to death right now, which is the only reason they came out with this statement.  Why would devs bother with DirectX when Steam OS is coming out, OpenGL can do this (post below) and OpenGL runs in Windows, and an I3 and a 750ti cheap as hell steam machine would blow away an Xbox One. Consoles just lost the one advantage they had, and SteamOS and OpenGL will give that advantage to steam machines lowering the cost tremendously. These "next gen" consoles are screwed. The PS4 isn't even selling well in Japan, and the Xbox One isn't selling well in the West now.

"Tim Foley (Intel), Cass Everitt (NVIDIA) and John McDonald (NVIDIA) will present high-level concepts available in today's OpenGL implementations that radically reduce driver overhead--by up to 10x or more. The techniques presented will apply to all major vendors and are suitable for use across multiple platforms. Additionally, they will demonstrate practical demos of the techniques in action in an extensible, open source comparison framework."

RIP "next gen" consoles. 

MS is scared to death right now. The DirectX monopoly is on the brink of collapse. The only thing that can keep it going and prolong it's inevitable death is bribes for win 8 exclusives just like they do with Xbox titles. Those better be some damn good games...

As far as the new DirectX being on Win 7? Yeah right. The entire reason the Xbox division exists is to screw over OpenGL, prop up the DirectX monopoly and force OS upgrades and keep people off alternative operating systems. It is advertising. They have lost money on it since it began. 

MS is going to have dumb Win 8/9 exclusive games that are DirectX. The money they threw into the Xbox division will now probably go towards bribing developers to not make native OpenGL ports.

They would lose less money bribing devs then they will on the dumb Xbox. So yeah DirectX will be around awhile. Why? Money. Not because it is a superior API or because it makes any sense for devs to use it at all, since every gaming device and OS, including mobile uses OpenGL and so can the Xbox/Windows.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Windows 9. And will probably have an update for Windows 8.x.

Windows 7 is still the #1 choice for gamers statistically 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

MS isn't worried about a thing huh? More like they are scared to death right now, which is the only reason they came out with this statement.  Why would devs bother with DirectX when Steam OS is coming out,

OpenGL does not need SteamOS. It runs on Linux based OS since day 1. Every couple of years, people say how Linux will dominate Windows, and Windows will be irrelevant for gaming, but it's the same thing that happens every single time. Manufactures that have Linux drivers, updates them, because the current one are so old. it's not even funny, then Linux based OS doesn't really pick up. Even with Netbooks, where they running mostly a Linux based OS (mostly Ubuntu) and yet, people switch back to Windows. They are more to gaming on a PC. You don't realize it, because you take a lot of thing for granted, or willing to give up on many things. Most aren't.

OpenGL can do this (post below) and OpenGL runs in Windows, and an I3 and a 750ti cheap as hell steam machine would blow away an Xbox One.

Your computer is not only newer, but more expensive than the XBox One and PS4.

Consoles just lost the one advantage they had, and SteamOS and OpenGL will give that advantage to steam machines lowering the cost tremendously. These "next gen" consoles are screwed.

Yea, people said that since the Super Nintendo days. Sales suggest that it only gets stronger every year.

The PS4 isn't even selling well in Japan, and the Xbox One isn't selling well in the West now.

PS4 is selling extremely well everywhere else. The reason is that the PS4 was targeted at the Western market, which in the recent years, Europe is having a similar taste.

This will shock you.. the WiiU is selling pretty well in Japan. Not like the Wii, granted, but better than the PS4 and XBox 360. In fact, more WiiU got sold than XBox 360 in total in Japan. WiiU was targeted at Asian market not the Western.

MS is scared to death right now. The DirectX monopoly is on the brink of collapse. The only thing that can keep it going and prolong it's inevitable death is bribes for win 8 exclusives just like they do with Xbox titles. Those better be some damn good games...

Sorry no. DirectX works, because it is easier to learn and program than OpenGL. It also has the most documentation, and Microsoft provides support (paying of course, but companies are willing to get). OpenGL you are left on your own. Also, DirectX has better debugging tools than OpenGL.

As far as the new DirectX being on Win 7? Yeah right. The entire reason the Xbox division exists is to screw over OpenGL, prop up the DirectX monopoly and force OS upgrades and keep people off alternative operating systems. It is advertising. They have lost money on it since it began.

XBox One third party games are also on PS4. PS4 doesn't take DirectX, as it doesn't run Windows. If the game is in OpenGL. So no.

If it outperforms Mantle then this will be pretty significant. But they have to first get games to support it first. :) 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

lets not try to compare consoles and gaming pc b/c they serve two different purposes to gamers. Consoles are for people who just want to plug and play and not need to worry about technical issues. While gaming pcs are for those of us who don't mind the extra work it takes.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

yes this awesome i remember when they said they would do this and i actually cant believe they really did. i see amd or mantle like google fiber they dont want to own the industry but give customers what they deserve and should have in this day n age and drive the lazy money drainers to actually invest in there customers!

Here's the catch though, It will only work for games made using the Modern UI.  :lol:

Mystery is the source of all true science.

fsx not trolling, this shizz is serious! 

anywas, i think i go with the rest of you guys, just hoping they come like, here is another revamp version, better and stronger, now you need win9 for it, cause fudge you we want money 

Maybe all games will have a DirectX 12 preview mode until it comes out 2 years later  <_<

This is why NVidia fan boys need to say that AMD needs to go burn and never come back blah blah..

Having competition brings up issues and creates innovation. Even if AMD mantel flopped with BF4 and its still early days its now woken up the beast and will now benefit everyone in the pc gaming scene on both development and end user. I think AMD have made a good thing happen here!

Intel Core i7 4770K | Gigabyte R9 290 OC 4GB Windforce Edition | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Mobo

Noctua NF-S12A FLX 120 + 140mm Fans | Corsair H100i CPU Cooler | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | BitFenix Ghost Case

Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM-850 PSU | G. Skill Sniper 16GB (4x4GB) | AOC G2460PQU 144Hz Monitor

Windows 7 is still the #1 choice for gamers statistically 

Yes, but it's likely that they will push it for Windows 8 to increase their sales. Besides that, DirectX 11.2 is only for Windows 8. 

and once said update comes... youll have to buy a new gpu that actually supports it..

Intel integrated graphic is gamers choice for graphics, statistically.

your point?

Hail Sithis!

i would like a move to openGL i do NOT want to keep buying a new operating system just to have a new version of DX

Then don't.

Then don't.

YEAH sticking with dx11 for the next 40 years ok ......

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

your point?

Just because it's "statistically" the choice of gamers it does not mean it's better, thus being the obvious choice. I've had a bad time leaving win7 behind which I loved, and hated win8. That is until I tried BF4 on win8 and saw i got 15 FPS more on win8 alone. That said my best friend outright refused to even try win8, and used win7 until he saw what improvement win8 gave me. That's the same man that used XP as his daily driver for everything except games until he switched to win8.

Win8 isn't the flop Vista was, time will show.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

Just because it's "statistically" the choice of gamers it does not mean it's better, thus being the obvious choice. I've had a bad time leaving win7 behind which I loved, and hated win8. That is until I tried BF4 on win8 and saw i got 15 FPS more on win8 alone. That said my best friend outright refused to even try win8, and used win7 until he saw what improvement win8 gave me. That's the same man that used XP as his daily driver for everything except games until he switched to win8.

Win8 isn't the flop Vista was, time will show.

I wasn't saying it's better, I was saying that Microsoft should take that into account when releasing an update to directX.

Hail Sithis!

I wasn't saying it's better, I was saying that Microsoft should take that into account when releasing an update to directX.

Should, but you know they wont, they will do the same thing they've done with Direct X every single time: Hijack it under an update to force people to open their wallets (or without conceding or condoning, their favorite torrent site)

-------

Current Rig

-------

Ah, well in that case it should from our standpoint, but it never will, as they think it would hurt their win8 sales. Although I think it would be a negligible number, and M$ would have more to gain from that move, as it would hurt the Linux base much more than win8, basically crippling Linux gaming IMHO.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

I guess I'm not the only one who wants windows 9, and finds windows 8 dreadful right? If they use new DX-related stuff to further push windows 8/8.1/8.2, basically forcing people to get it, rather than having the option.. that'll be pretty annoying to quite a lot of folks.

However, if Microsoft were smart, they'd say "If you "upgrade" from Windows 7 (insert version here) to windows 8 (equivalent version to windows 7 version), you will automatically receive windows 9 (version etc) for free, once it's released".. That would prompt a lot of people to get it, rather than trying to shove it down our throats, and using strangle-tactics via software like DirectX XX-version.

I despise this kind of marketing, especially from companies like Microsoft, which have started doing it on every front. So, it's safe to say, OpenGL is more than welcome to knock DX of off it's throne.

"Hidden optical drive, crouching PC-builder."