DirectX & OpenGL to open up low-level access

DonPOETA

This had better come out on Windows 7 as an update, or I'm gonna be TICKED.

Or it doesn't matter.

Or just make an OS made especially for gaming that work too.

I think DX9 games are still going to be released...
Also this will probably force us into a new version of windows.

Honestly, having a API that doesn't tie us to an OS would be the best thing. It's not fun how Microsoft monopolizes the gaming community, If gamers of tomorrow had the ability to choose OS, the people around them will also start choosing their OS.

Why does it take Mantle for DirectX to improve on those areas.

B/c essentially they were never threaten by any other api, well besides opengl but I guess they didn't really see it as a threat, so they got lazy. And probably it was also something to do xbox. Now I guess they saw mantle as a threat and now they are working to keep DX as the top dog.

I would really like it if opengl wins b/c it would be by a company that doesn't have any external motive to keep their api from innovating. cough cough xbox windows 8 or 9 cough cough

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

B/c essentially they were never threaten by any other api, well besides opengl but I guess they didn't really see it as a threat, so they got lazy. And probably it was also something to do xbox. Now I guess they saw mantle as a threat and now they are working to keep DX as the top dog.

I would really like it if opengl wins b/c it would be by a company that doesn't have any external motive to keep their api from innovating. cough cough xbox windows 8 or 9 cough cough

I'd have to agree with you on OpenGL. I believe products should still continue to grow/improve regardless of other threats, unless the product is near the end of the life cycle in which the product is no longer improving but still receives support/bug fixes. If the product continues to grow, it will continue to be number one and will limit the possibility of other similar products to come into market because of how much effort it would take to match/best it. Thats how I believe it should work anyway.

Interesting, they might be serious about pushing PC gaming again. Wait, put down your weapons and hear me out there's a line of thought here:

-Microsoft all but abandons Games for Windows Live

-Steam gets established as THE big daddy of PC gaming, 75 million active users

-Valve decides "to hell with windows" and pushes to move to Linux

-Surprisingly, enough manufacturer support is gathered

-Xbone is looking bad atm, already a price cut for some territories
-Major restructuring at the house of MS: New CEO, previous to that rumors that they would sell the xbox division

-Elop, who was on the run to be CEO and started the rumors, is put in charge of xbox

-Now Microsoft is talking low level direct x: The one thing that they've been intentionally ignoring to avoid cannibalizing their xbox division, which is now in charge of a guy that was ready to sell it the fuck off

Maybe they think is not too late and want to avoid say, AMD gaining more ground with mantle and having something like Valve incorporating Mantle into SteamOS which would make games that should already seriously outperform the same games vs windows be completely and utterly destroyed. They might be thinking let's get the low-level direct x implementation we already have on the xbone for windows and get some of that renewed and flourishing PC gaming market back.

Now I don't know if that's a pattern there or maybe I just went completely batshit.

-------

Current Rig

-------

YESSSSS finally.... Microsoft please push my GPU to the MAX !!!!!

CPU: AMD 5790t Motherboard: Gigabyte Forumlar XII RAM: Ah Whole set of it GPU: GTX 290x Ti Storage: Ah Ton of HDD PSU: Once it on Display(s): Well I still seeing pixels Cooling: It running COOL BRO Keyboard: *click* *click* Mouse: MORE *click* Sound: OHH DE BASEE

The wink-wink shake hands microsoft-amd so that nvidoa can keep it's pride.

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

This had better come out on Windows 7 as an update, or I'm gonna be TICKED.

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

Better not be 11.3 but instead it's 12 because they need to revamp this software baaaaaaad.

fsx not trolling, this shizz is serious! 

anywas, i think i go with the rest of you guys, just hoping they come like, here is another revamp version, better and stronger, now you need win9 for it, cause fudge you we want money 

Against All Odds pc build

AMD Athlon II x4 750k///MSI A55m E33///Kingston hyper x blue 8gb (2x4)///corsair cx430///EVGA GTX 750 SC///Rosewill FBM 01///Samsung EVO 850 120gb///Windows 8.1///Corsair Raptor k40

I think DX9 games are still going to be released...

Also this will probably force us into a new version of windows.

Honestly, having a API that doesn't tie us to an OS would be the best thing. It's not fun how Microsoft monopolizes the gaming community, If gamers of tomorrow had the ability to choose OS, the people around them will also start choosing their OS.

The problem is that every API is tied to a version of a OS as it has to support it or its latest revision. The sad thing is that unless Microsoft makes this new version available to every windows PC at no cost most devs will still use DX9 but at least they can stop their bitching about DX being broken. DX 10 and 11 are not being used mostly because DX9 goes all the way back to XP not because they are some what OS exclusive. BTW doesnt win7 have DX11, since most gamers at least have that why arnt more games using it?

YESSSSS finally.... Microsoft please push my GPU to the MAX !!!!!

If it isin't there yet :P hehehe xD 

Against All Odds pc build

AMD Athlon II x4 750k///MSI A55m E33///Kingston hyper x blue 8gb (2x4)///corsair cx430///EVGA GTX 750 SC///Rosewill FBM 01///Samsung EVO 850 120gb///Windows 8.1///Corsair Raptor k40

i think if they are willing to play nice i really dont care which API wins as long as yyou get better performance out of it. Mantle was needed to show Microsoft that we need a refresh of DX as it has been pretty much the same, and with all the new hardware that has multi-cores its needed to use them all

Spoiler

CPU: i5-6600k MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2800Mhz 15-15-15-35, GPU: Sapphire R9 290 SSD: Samsung 840 250GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2, Cooling: EK supremecy EVO ,EK-FC R9 290X with backplate, XSPC EX240 Crossflow & Alphacool UT60 240mm, XSPC D5 Bayres w/ Alphacool VPP655, 7/16-5/8 Compressions/Tubing, Noctua NF-F12 x4 PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 http://valid.x86.fr/8g2m02

If it isin't there yet :P hehehe xD 

LOL trueee :P 

CPU: AMD 5790t Motherboard: Gigabyte Forumlar XII RAM: Ah Whole set of it GPU: GTX 290x Ti Storage: Ah Ton of HDD PSU: Once it on Display(s): Well I still seeing pixels Cooling: It running COOL BRO Keyboard: *click* *click* Mouse: MORE *click* Sound: OHH DE BASEE

The problem is that every API is tied to a version of a OS as it has to support it or its latest revision. The sad thing is that unless Microsoft makes this new version available to every windows PC at no cost most devs will still use DX9 but at least they can stop their bitching about DX being broken. DX 10 and 11 are not being used mostly because DX9 goes all the way back to XP not because they are some what OS exclusive. BTW doesnt win7 have DX11, since most gamers at least have that why arnt more games using it?

I was talking more about the ability to ditch windows. something like OpenGL runs both Windows and Linux. This way gamers can choose to get a free Linux version. I'm not trying to kill windows at all, I just want them to make worth the $100 the OS costs. If I could easily move to another OS to game, but windows have features that are worth the money, I would chose them again.

API competition... hope this works

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

I don't give a rat's ass about directx. I just want more game support for linux support so i can ditch windows

Praise Duarte!

It is a repost, but I like your post.

You say that you want DirectX dead, but seeing how AMD themselves, come in, and that Microsoft is investing it's resources to improve OpenGL as well as it's DirectX, shows that DirectX has something that OpenGL doesn't, and Microsoft is not worried about a thing. And it does explain why a huge number of developers prefer DirectX over OpenGL.

I don't give a rat's ass about directx. I just want more game support for linux support so i can ditch windows

You are going to wait for a very long time.

Once again Linus credits the repost :\

Pretty upsetting.

Once again Linus credits the repost :\

Pretty upsetting.

If the repost is better than the original post, it deserves it. No one like people posting just a quote or worst just a link just to get the "first" title. The news post should have your own understanding of it, encapsulate 1 or more sources, image is liked, and of course promote a discussion.

Too bad us Windows 7 users will probably never see this, and maybe even Windows 8 users.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

AMD you better take a good look at Mantle before everything else... Mantle decreases image quality and increases FPS - NO ONE agrees with this! And at the same time - Nvidia, your G-sync is still crazy expensive! I wonder if Maxwell will support DX12 if there is any.

The only thing i want from all of this is a supreme 3D gaming on high resolutions, with best quality image and no damn stuttering and tearing. I don't care about the rest. If i have to go on Linux, FINE! Just put those technologies together and stop putting gamers and devs on choice. If you have to, put Mantle and DirectX together (which might not work).....

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

Absolutely nailed it. I would love to make the switch from Windows to Ubuntu on my gaming PC,but the drivers and not enough games are natively supported. I made the switch a while back on my workstation laptop.