do you guys think big tech is losing sleep over blockchain?

zombiepixel
2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

More not thinking it through.  

i know many things about the blockchain enough to understand how its gonna be big but not enough about 1 thing on the blockchain. this is the reason why i started this post

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s not even controversial. It’s just dumb.  Controversial implies there are two sides.  

and we dont have 2 sides here? i think its great you think its dumb!

Just now, zombiepixel said:

and we dont have 2 sides here? i think its great you think its dumb!

Not really.  If one side has all its points based on misconceptions and lack of understanding it’s not really a side.  There aren’t any actual points.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 minutes ago, zombiepixel said:

so you bring up a good point. why would they want to give up the data? to them its gold right? but the thing is, they have no choice. the beauty of blockchain projects is that they are open source! its not 1 company giving up the data. in fact the network itself is not a company the company just contributes to that open source code that runs on the network. idk exactly how they make money but they are not the owner of the blockchain. WE are the owners of the blockchain. its a democratic system. they are only contributor to the project they created. what they might get is the increase in value of the tokens they own.

Hmmm let's look at open-source and see how disrupting it is.... 

Did gimp shut down photoshop? 

Who has a bigger markets hare windows or (pick your choice of open os) 

The list could go on and on. Open-source doesn't magically make everyone switch over if an existing solution is well established. You sound like a marketing person. As soon as I hear "that's a good question", my guard is up. The only people who say that are marketers. 

Just now, Blue4130 said:

Hmmm let's look at open-source and see how disrupting it is.... 

Did gimp shut down photoshop? 

Who has a bigger markets hare windows or (pick your choice of open os) 

The list could go on and on. Open-source doesn't magically make everyone switch over if an existing solution is well established. You sound like a marketing person. As soon as I hear "that's a good question", my guard is up. The only people who say that are marketers. 

bro i am not here to sell shit. i promise. what the fuck would i want to sell? if u want to know my motive then ill tell you. i want the industry to progress because our system is fuckt right now. and im refering to both big tech and our financial system. The only way to fix it IMO is to give the people back their control. why would i want big tech to know every fucking thing about me? why would i be okay with big banks printing away our money?

to address ur stupid statement, open source has literally changed everything. do u see people walking around with a windows phone or an android? is the majority of web dev being ran on windows or linux servers? sure gimp hasn't taken over photoshop buts it sure has been a thorn in their side. their are thousands of open source projects that are taking over the industry. 

to address ur other stupid statement, open source isnt the driving force of blockchain adoption. its the technologies usecase and reliability.

3 minutes ago, zombiepixel said:

bro i am not here to sell shit. i promise. what the fuck would i want to sell? if u want to know my motive then ill tell you. i want the industry to progress because our system is fuckt right now. and im refering to both big tech and our financial system. The only way to fix it IMO is to give the people back their control. why would i want big tech to know every fucking thing about me? why would i be okay with big banks printing away our money?

to address ur stupid statement, open source has literally changed everything. do u see people walking around with a windows phone or an android? is the majority of web dev being ran on windows or linux servers? sure gimp hasn't taken over photoshop buts it sure has been a thorn in their side. their are thousands of open source projects that are taking over the industry. 

to address ur other stupid statement, open source isnt the driving force of blockchain adoption. its the technologies usecase and reliability.

Now you are turning to personal insults. This is where I step out of this conversation. You have presented nothing that shows how this will be revolutionary. And your last post sounds exactly like every other blockchain groupie. Cries of down with the system! Without thinking about what that world would actually really be like. 

I'm done. 

1 minute ago, Blue4130 said:

Now you are turning to personal insults. This is where I step out of this conversation. You have presented nothing that shows how this will be revolutionary. And your last post sounds exactly like every other blockchain groupie. Cries of down with the system! Without thinking about what that world would actually really be like. 

I'm done. 

idc.

This whole thread feels like you're upset cause you recently learned about blockchain and people aren't talking about it as much as they used to.

3 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

This whole thread feels like you're upset cause you recently learned about blockchain and people aren't talking about it as much as they used to.

yes. 👍 

7 hours ago, zombiepixel said:

sure gimp hasn't taken over photoshop buts it sure has been a thorn in their side.

I don't think GIMP has had any significant effect on Adobe; in the creative industry (which is where the money is made from products such as photoshop) almost nobody uses GIMP. Sure individuals have started using GIMP, but most of them wouldn't have bought photoshop anyway, or would've just cracked it.

7 hours ago, zombiepixel said:

is the majority of web dev being ran on windows or linux servers?

Ok right but that's not because linux is open-source. That's because Linux is considered a better OS for that kind of thing, and a better product is the one that gets used the most. If Linux was closed source but had the same properties, it'd still be used for web servers. 

Really, the same goes with block chain. If it's a better solution to problem X, people will use it to solve problem X. If it's not a better solution than one that they already have, why would they use it? Because "block chain" sounds cool? Because some guy on a forum thinks that "block chain is the future"? 

In the consumer space one pretty successful use of blockchain applied to non-coin existing concepts (and that you never mentioned...) is LBRY. But it works so well becasue... of their partnership with Youtube. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

its still all bullshit and nothing ever came of blockchain.

its been there for about a decade now and still has zero major use cases, same for crypto currencies still being basically an investor gamble and completely useless as a currenty.

20 hours ago, mr moose said:

Sorry, i think the mistake I made was assuming people would treat an idea as just an idea for thinking about.  It was not meant to be a completely reasoned out policy for as is implementation that requires in depth debate.

Heh, sorry :) That's just the way I tick. Don't want to start a fight with you.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Heh, sorry :) That's just the way I tick. Don't want to start a fight with you.

NP,  context and intent is invisible through written discourse.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 6/13/2020 at 3:24 AM, WereCatf said:

No, there isn't. It's all a load of bullshit and hot air.

Ha! Wait until my Crypto-Cloud-Blockchain-AI-Smart-VR-Nano-RGB-BigData startup EXPLODES in your face! Then we'll see who's laughing! 

7 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Ha! Wait until my Crypto-Cloud-Blockchain-AI-Smart-VR-Nano-RGB-BigData startup EXPLODES in your face! Then we'll see who's laughing! 

I'll be laughing, I installed mcafee internet security so all my data and internet transactions will be safe.  😏.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

im sorry. the technology is way too immature. people dont take is serious yet and they have good reason not too. its falls behind due to scalability issues and will fall short from being useful if we tried using it today at the scale i want it to be used. but i am a firm believer that this technology is revolutionary and i still hold my stance about how it will affectedly cripple these big tech companies. I have to accept that this is decade long bet.

ultimately, the probability if this technology taking off and becoming successful is very favorable and i am willing to bet everything i have on it. blood, sweat, tears, money, passion, everything. i wanted to spark a good conversation and discuss this topic with people who might also be interested on this forum (maybe find a partner to work on a project with) but i dont think thats gonna happen. but i encourage you guys to look into it. its not a fad, its not hot air, its actually pretty concrete shit. so thanks guys!

On 6/13/2020 at 7:41 PM, zombiepixel said:
  • digital identity

If you want losing your identity to be as simple as losing a tiny file on your computer, sure.

• cloud computing
  • private VPNs

Curious what you're thinking here. I can't see a way to do it.

• supply chain management

Centralized is better for this.

• trustless data store

To store data on the blockchain means every archival node has to have a copy of it, which means the data can't be very big. IPFS or even plain old torrents are better.

On 6/13/2020 at 8:03 PM, zombiepixel said:

ask yourself this, when you made your LTT account what was required? an email right? what does that email serve as? a digital identity. one that is hosted by a centralized server for a centralized company. with blockchain we wont need that company anymore. you will be able to create an account for any service with ur blockchain identifier instead of an email

I host my own email server at home so this isn't even true. All you need is a static IP address, a domain name ($10 a year) a raspberry pi or some old computer, and some know-how and you're good to go.

On 6/13/2020 at 8:03 PM, zombiepixel said:

all accounts made under an email can be compromised if that email is compromised. but with blockchain we can eliminate that threat. 

And all accounts made under a blockchain can be compromised if the private key is compromised.

The Eight Fallacies of Distributed Computing

Essentially everyone, when they first build a distributed application, makes the following eight assumptions. All prove to be false in the long run and all cause big trouble and painful learning experiences.

1. The network is reliable
  2. Latency is zero
  3. Bandwidth is infinite
  4. The network is secure
  5. Topology doesn’t change
  6. There is one administrator
  7. Transport cost is zero
  8. The network is homogeneous

— Peter Deutsch

1 hour ago, zombiepixel said:

im sorry. the technology is way too immature. people dont take is serious yet and they have good reason not too. its falls behind due to scalability issues and will fall short from being useful if we tried using it today at the scale i want it to be used. but i am a firm believer that this technology is revolutionary and i still hold my stance about how it will affectedly cripple these big tech companies. I have to accept that this is decade long bet.

ultimately, the probability if this technology taking off and becoming successful is very favorable and i am willing to bet everything i have on it. blood, sweat, tears, money, passion, everything. i wanted to spark a good conversation and discuss this topic with people who might also be interested on this forum (maybe find a partner to work on a project with) but i dont think thats gonna happen. but i encourage you guys to look into it. its not a fad, its not hot air, its actually pretty concrete shit. so thanks guys!

People have and do take it seriously.  I have had many in depth discussions regarding blockchain and where it can be used.  The problem is you need to think outside of the tech and look at the environment it is going to be applied in.  For example many people thought bitcoin and crypto in general was going to take over and upset the banking sector, that somehow crypto due to the nature of blockchain would undo "the evil of centralized currency".  The problem with that is that all the forces that dictate how the economies work are separate from the technology that it uses.    The economy dictates the value of the currency, in fact even bitcoins value is dictated by the economy.  If no one wants to buy into it with US$ then it has no value in US$ regardless how many people are mining it (as proven by the massive crash).

Basically you can very crudely consider blockchain to be a very secure form of record keeping.  If the process doesn't require accurate and secure recording keeping then it won't benefit from blockchain.  And even when some security measures are too good, I.E if you forget your password you can kiss goodbye your digital whatever.  As far as I know there is no way to recover a blockchain password.

I wonder how many people reading and/or posting in this thread actually know what blockchains are and how they work.

My guess is very few, if any, and yet people have extremely strong opinions about it...

25 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I.E if you forget your password you can kiss goodbye your digital whatever.  As far as I know there is no way to recover a blockchain password.

Blockchain doesn't do authentication by password, but by private key. If you lose your private key there is no way to get a new one, since there is no way to verify to the network that you're you, since that's the whole point of the key. Now imagine if your whole identity (birth certificates, transaction history, medical history, ownership etc. etc.) was tied to a blockchain address... Sounds fun doesn't it :).

The Eight Fallacies of Distributed Computing

Essentially everyone, when they first build a distributed application, makes the following eight assumptions. All prove to be false in the long run and all cause big trouble and painful learning experiences.

1. The network is reliable
  2. Latency is zero
  3. Bandwidth is infinite
  4. The network is secure
  5. Topology doesn’t change
  6. There is one administrator
  7. Transport cost is zero
  8. The network is homogeneous

— Peter Deutsch

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I wonder how many people reading and/or posting in this thread actually know what blockchains are and how they work.

My guess is very few, if any, and yet people have extremely strong opinions about it...

That’s how mountebankery always works.  Get something that people know is real, but a bit off in the fuzz.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

They probably only know how it works from it's connection to bitcoin, when that's a different animal that is on top of A blockchain, not THE blockchain itself.

Blockchain's in theory are designed to protect the chain of custody of a message (or asset control of a real item.) It's not a storage device, it's not infallible (the originator could poison the well, so to speak) , it's only good if you trust everyone in the chain of custody, and if you don't there's nothing stopping someone from just destroying it and screwing everyone. That's what the distributed ledger is for. So someone can't just destroy their portion and claim they didn't.

And we've seen that with bitcoin and other cryptocoin systems already, if someone loses the wallet, they are royally and truly up the creek without a paddle.

Which basically comes back to trusting the blockchain. So research journals, inventory control, and such, require opt-in, and as we know, opt-in doesn't work, only opt-out does. So until such time that a standard that everyone can use exists for that specific industry, it's just going to be more vaporware for the most part, and the major players that invest in it, have to convince the existing customers that they should pay more to do it this new way because it's more secure... somehow. It's not typically in a business's best interest to promote a decentralized system of any sort, because they lose control and the ability to monopolize it.

10 minutes ago, vlads_ said:

Blockchain doesn't do authentication by password, but by private key. If you lose your private key there is no way to get a new one, since there is no way to verify to the network that you're you, since that's the whole point of the key. Now imagine if your whole identity (birth certificates, transaction history, medical history, ownership etc. etc.) was tied to a blockchain address... Sounds fun doesn't it :).

private key/password same thing to the end user.  Only the geeks get their knockers bunched up over technicalities.