do you guys think big tech is losing sleep over blockchain?

zombiepixel
1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

How do you know that block chain will provide that ? Lol 

I mean at this point if you like it or not your data is somewhere on the internet

sure my data is out their. and we all can choose to continue living like that and accept that its always going to be out their. but what if someone stops and attempts to find a solution to that? instead of someone holding ur data for you, you hold it yourself and bring it instead.

the horse was fine and it got you to where u wanted it to take you. are you going to just accept that the horse will forever be your means of transport or are you going to make the car? you cannot accept the current situation on the internet when it could be better.

13 minutes ago, zombiepixel said:

im referring to the massive industry of cloud computing. the problem we are facing right now is that we have a heavy reliance on big tech like google, amazon, and microsoft to provide centralized computing services like google cloud, aws, and azure.

Do you?

Easy solution, host your own IT again, then you have full control over it and don't need any reliance on big tech...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Do you?

Easy solution, host your own IT again, then you have full control over it and don't need any reliance on big tech...

true. but your own tech wont be as elastic as theirs. the advantage of using aws or google cloud is the scalability of their services. you will get the same thing for cheaper with a blockchain based cloud service.

Not everything needs such scalability.

And I still don't see how blockchain would help in any way.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Not everything needs such scalability.

And I still don't see how blockchain would help in any way.

why would anyone not want scalability? lol what?

10 hours ago, zombiepixel said:

their is good reason to believe that big tech might be crippled after the eminent rise of blockchain based applications that will subsequently make centralized servers and centralized data almost obsolete and untrustworthy. i really want to hear your opinions about this technology and your own projections of what tech will look like in the near future.

It doesn't mean those servers and/or cloud platforms will not have a place. You are also assuming that the blockchain is going to be managed and maintained by customer owned machines. We will still see the same SaaS type setups we see now, just they will move to their own blockchain solution.

Blockchain doesn't immediately make all of these things obsolete. It is just a way of managing, securing, and storing data. There are many ways to implement it and it will be dependent on what the app/software developers want to do. Microsoft and amazon aren't going to magically move away from their cloud environments. 

7 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

It doesn't mean those servers and/or cloud platforms will not have a place. You are also assuming that the blockchain is going to be managed and maintained by customer owned machines. We will still see the same SaaS type setups we see now, just they will move to their own blockchain solution.

Blockchain doesn't immediately make all of these things obsolete. It is just a way of managing, securing, and storing data. There are many ways to implement it and it will be dependent on what the app/software developers want to do. Microsoft and amazon aren't going to magically move away from their cloud environments. 

i agree. obsolete is a bit to much to say. i wont be surprised if these companies participate in decentralized cloud computing. but i dont think they will have as big of a role in the industry as they have now.

56 minutes ago, zombiepixel said:

the horse was fine and it got you to where u wanted it to take you. are you going to just accept that the horse will forever be your means of transport or are you going to make the car?

But if there are hurdles that need to be jumped over the car would be pointless. 

In other words:

You propose blockchain as a solution to problems that it can't solve, or that it can solve only in a worse way than current systems already do.

11 hours ago, zombiepixel said:

their is good reason to believe that big tech might be crippled after the eminent rise of blockchain based applications that will subsequently make centralized servers and centralized data almost obsolete and untrustworthy. i really want to hear your opinions about this technology and your own projections of what tech will look like in the near future.

The biggest issue I have with blockchain is a bit  like the issue I have with some types of “big C” Christians.  A lot of crypto miners like to use the term blockchain to talk about their behavior, much like a lot of a particular type fundamentalist evangelical literalists like to use the term “Christianity” rather than stating their sect.  It’s a repugnant instance of a largely non damaging even generally positive thing.  Block chain is USED by big business.  Particularly banks. 

the issue I have with cryptocurrency is if it’s really a currency it has a material backing and for cryptocurrency the material backing is often illegal drugs. I think the “proof of work” thing is a smoke screen.  So we get the term “blockchain” instead of crypto miner.  It forces the larger community to clean up after the bad actors and allows said bad actors to hide behind the reputation of the larger community while damaging that reputation in general.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The biggest issue I have with blockchain is a bit  like the issue I have with some types of “big C” Christians.  A lot of crypto miners like to use the term blockchain to talk about their behavior, much like a lot of a particular type fundamentalist evangelical literalists like to use the term “Christianity” rather than stating their sect.  It’s a repugnant instance of a largely non damaging even generally positive thing.  Block chain is USED by big business.  Particularly banks. 

the issue I have with cryptocurrency is if it’s really a currency it has a material backing and for cryptocurrency the material backing is often illegal drugs. I think the “proof of work” thing is a smoke screen.  So we get the term “blockchain” instead of crypto miner.  It forces the larger community to clean up after the bad actors and allows said bad actors to hide behind the reputation of the larger community while damaging that reputation in general.

lol i love how you compared blockchain enthusiasts to religious fanatics. but no. i am not referring to the coins themselves. as ive posted in my previous comments i am more interested in the technology than the coins. proof of work is not a smoke screen. it is something that is almost coming to fruition very soon. and its exciting because it will create a very strong bond between IoT devices and Blockchain.

we will essentially live in a super connected world. its very exciting!

19 minutes ago, zombiepixel said:

it is something that is almost coming to fruition very soon. and its exciting because it will create a very strong bond between IoT devices and Blockchain.

You’re legit just spouting buzzwords. Like a SV startup with a terrible product trying to bs it’s way into VC money.

40 minutes ago, zombiepixel said:

lol i love how you compared blockchain enthusiasts to religious fanatics. but no. i am not referring to the coins themselves. as ive posted in my previous comments i am more interested in the technology than the coins. proof of work is not a smoke screen. it is something that is almost coming to fruition very soon. and its exciting because it will create a very strong bond between IoT devices and Blockchain.

Sounds frothy. “Almost” a thing isn’t the thing and doesn’t mean the thing will exist or work.  Second stage communism was “almost” a thing for a very very long time.  I’ll believe “proof of work” is a thing if and when it happens.  Proof of work is vapor ware.  Vapor ware sometimes happens.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

19 minutes ago, Anjelllo said:

You’re legit just spouting buzzwords. Like a SV startup with a terrible product trying to bs it’s way into VC money.

lol i get what your saying. what i mean to say is that all devices are going to connect to one another so that they can send important data to others. for example, cars, we are going to see a lot of them be able to communicate with one another to allow a more autonomous transport network. more specifically data about position and final destination so that all cars within an area can adjust if that specific cars exit is coming up. this will also allow these cars to become truly autonomous due to having a shared ledger where they can communicate. it will also allow more devices on the blockchain to exist to provide computing resources.

and that is just cars..

we have so many more devices like household kitchen appliances. which sounds dumb but these devices will also need to communicate to a blockchain. maybe if a water filter is going bad it can send a signal to the blockchain where the company can see its status and notify the customer of it. these appliances will also provide computing power to the network which in turn will reward the owner of these appliances for providing that computing power as well.

thank is what i mean by blockchain and IoT. connectivity by incentive.    

Just now, zombiepixel said:

lol i get what your saying. what i mean to say is that all devices are going to connect to one another so that they can send important data to others. for example, cars, we are going to see a lot of them be able to communicate with one another to allow a more autonomous transport network. more specifically data about position and final destination so that all cars within an area can adjust if that specific cars exit is coming up. this will also allow these cars to become truly autonomous due to having a shared ledger where they can communicate. it will also allow more devices on the blockchain to exist to provide computing resources.

and that is just cars..

we have so many more devices like household kitchen appliances. which sounds dumb but these devices will also need to communicate to a blockchain. maybe if a water filter is going bad it can send a signal to the blockchain where the company can see its status and notify the customer of it. these appliances will also provide computing power to the network which in turn will reward the owner of these appliances for providing that computing power as well.

thank is what i mean by blockchain and IoT. connectivity by incentive.    

oh and top of all of that for the cars, it will provide a more secure server where cars can have their autonomous network run instead of a centralized server that may have vulnerabilities and can be susceptible to attacks leading to accidents and death. 

All of that already exists and doesn't need blockchain. 

F@H

GPD Win 2

5 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

All of that already exists and doesn't need blockchain. 

so a 100% centralized server that can never get hacked exists? i dont think so.. people need to trust Tesla that they are going to maintain and secure their servers to get in the vehicle confidently and not lose sleep over it. it only takes 1 bad apple who gets access to those servers to cause mass death via bad autoimmunity but with blockchain we eliminate that threat and the need for that trust. 

What's a "100% centralized sever"? None of the big companies / large services use a "100% centralized server", they use large distributed CDNs.

Also anyone with proper access to a blockchain will be able to change stuff on it as well. If a company can't be trusted to secure their servers with existing technologies it makes no sense to expect they'll do better just by using a blockchain. There still needs to be a process somewhere that interacts with the blockchain, and you'll always be able get access to it. 

Do bank websites and transaction systems get hacked all over the place? No, and they're not using blockchain. 

Again it's just a storage method, and requires all the same security measures as others.

F@H

GPD Win 2

24 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

What's a "100% centralized sever"? None of the big companies / large services use a "100% centralized server", they use large distributed CDNs.

Also anyone with proper access to a blockchain will be able to change stuff on it as well. If a company can't be trusted to secure their servers with existing technologies it makes no sense to expect they'll do better just by using a blockchain. There still needs to be a process somewhere that interacts with the blockchain, and you'll always be able get access to it. 

Do bank websites and transaction systems get hacked all over the place? No, and they're not using blockchain. 

Again it's just a storage method, and requires all the same security measures as others.

a server that is 100% controlled by 1 entity. and banks have gotten hacked all the time. 

guys, these things arent hypotheses, these are real projects that have actual developers. you can look them up. the fact that a tech forum does not have a blockchain section THIS LATE into the industries maturity is concerning.

1 hour ago, zombiepixel said:

oh and top of all of that for the cars, it will provide a more secure server where cars can have their autonomous network run instead of a centralized server that may have vulnerabilities and can be susceptible to attacks leading to accidents and death. 

The control software for an autonomous vehicle shouldn't depend on any remote connection. 

9 minutes ago, zombiepixel said:

these things arent hypotheses, these are real projects that have actual developers. you can look them up.

Yeah, and a lot of them are only using it to ride the hype train rather than out of actual need or becasue it really offers significant advantages.

F@H

GPD Win 2

12 minutes ago, zombiepixel said:

guys, these things arent hypotheses, these are real projects that have actual developers. you can look them up. the fact that a tech forum does not have a blockchain section THIS LATE into the industries maturity is concerning.

Back up your claims with real world examples.