Zoom says China asked it to censor pro-democracy activists in US and it obeyed

Warboy
9 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Big country big bully

Dying country angry victim.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

23 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Dying country angry victim.

Big exit big fail. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Big exit big fail. 

Predicted in the 80’s when Regan was elected. The problem is killing the US will take the world with it.  It was called the Ottoman Empire model.  The world is too connected now though.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Predicted in the 80’s when Regan was elected. The problem is killing the US will take the world with it.  It was called the Ottoman Empire model.  The world is too connected now though.  

Lots of things were predicted during the Reagan days and most of them are finally catching up and killing us. US companies are slowly becoming indentured to China's cheap labor and business practices. Should have dealt with China's economic model decades ago, but instead we (the politicians and business class) embraced it. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

46 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Lots of things were predicted during the Reagan days and most of them are finally catching up and killing us. US companies are slowly becoming indentured to China's cheap labor and business practices. Should have dealt with China's economic model decades ago, but instead we (the politicians and business class) embraced it. 

Corporations don't have national loyalty, unless they're part owned by the state. And the CCP is printing money to buy the loyalty of those not directly under its control.

There are many proverbs to the effect, but essentially to destroy free enterprise, the state must leverage the attributes of the adversary against itself. At the end of the day, corporations will compete against each-other to sell you to the higher bidder in control; and the Chinese government very much wants to be in control.

1 minute ago, StDragon said:

Corporations don't have national loyalty, unless they're part owned by the state. And the CCP is printing money to buy the loyalty of those not directly under its control.

There are many proverbs to the effect, but essentially to destroy free enterprise, the state must leverage the attributes of the adversary against itself. At the end of the day, corporations will compete against each-other to sell you to the higher bidder in control; and the Chinese government very much wants to be in control.

The state doesn't have to buy the company. They can just tell them that they'll start losing protections such as patents, trademarks, and copyrights. Open the market for all to enjoy or leave them to only lose. If the company thinks China will take care of them, let them think and live that consequence. A smaller company, or group of companies, will gladly take their place in the market. You have to leverage your power and it should be for freedom, not lack thereof. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

The CEO of Zoom is Eric Yuan . Either he's a shadow CCP member, or he's being blackmailed in order to protect family members at home. Pure conjecture. But if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck....

Just now, StDragon said:

The CEO of Zoom is Eric Yuan . Either he's a shadow CCP member, or he's being blackmailed in order to protect family members at home. Pure conjecture. But if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck....

..it’s possibly a platypus, and in Australia frequently is.  Weird accusations made purely on a last name.  Also not even “might be” but “is”.  “Eric” is not exactly chinese.  

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

..it’s possibly a platypus, and in Australia frequently is.  Weird accusations made purely on a last name.  Also not even “might be” but “is”.  “Eric” is not exactly chinese.  

Not even close. And many Chinese adopts western first names as an alternate. His real first name is Zhēng.

It should be no surprise that it's caught the attention of the US Congress.

8 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Not even close. And many Chinese adopts western first names as an alternate. His real first name is Yuán.

So someone is looking into it and there might be something or nothing.  Smacked of racism really hard.  The whole “it’s like this because furriner name” was super creepy.  The use of the duck test is another big red flag.  The duck test works with ducks only because of very specific situational things and the majority of times it is applied as it was here it’s being used to hide something.  I am suspicious of ANY use of the duck test as the majority of the time whatever it is being used to “prove” turns out to be BS. Not even 50% random worthless.  Actually majority false.

21 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Check the penis? Ducks have unique "[garbled noise]" that can identify even which breed it belongs to. 

14 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Not to be political, but they also did multiple investigations over several years on the same damn incident.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So someone is looking into it and there might be something or nothing.  Smacked of racism really hard. 

Your trigger malfunctioned. We are in an unofficial Cold War 2 in case you haven't figured it out.

You might be interested in learning about the largest modern "re-education" camp that China has built to contain the Uyghurs

3 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Your trigger malfunctioned. We are in an unofficial Cold War 2 in case you haven't figured it out.

You might be interested in learning about the largest modern "re-education" camp that China has built to contain the Uyghurs

More blanket statements.  Is the Chinese government potentially quite scary? Yup.  Does what the Chinese government does necessarily have anything to do with this Eric guy?  I suppose not totally impossible.  Statistically unlikely.  Apparently it’s being checked according to you.  Are there groups in the US and EU even more scary than the Chinese government trying to promote irrational fear of things like the Chinese government for their own gain? Also yup.   Are you a supporter of one of those groups?  I don’t know.  Starting to sound like it to me.  

12 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Why are you using government funded media as a source. Are you trying to bait people into political discussion?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

8 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Why are you using government funded media as a source. Are you trying to bait people into political discussion?

Good point.  It seems to be working on me.  Ihbt I suspect.

18 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Good point.  It seems to be working on me.  Ihbt I suspect.

Excellent Quality | Bait / This is Bait | Know Your Meme

Shame it isn't pearlescent... 

China seems to be increasing their efforts to subvert protest on YT, Twitter, FB, and more. At some point, something is going to break. What will? I have no idea. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Business Hall of Bootlickers

• Activision Blizzard: banned player for supporting HK democracy protest. Confiscated all his winnings. Fired his interviewers. Apologized to China: condemned incident, swore to defend China's national dignity

• Apple: censor Taiwan flag emoji in iOS in HK

• Apple: banned HK protest map from App Store. Approved app after backlash. Bannedapp once again after China hissy fit

• Apple: removed from China App Store news app that covered HK protest

• Vans: censor pro-HK democracy design in its shoe design competition

• NBA (partial entry): rebuked Rockets manager for his pro-HK tweet, saying NBA was "extremely disappointed with Morey's inappropriate comment." Backpedalled after backlash, now saying they support Morey's freedom of speech.

• Disney / ESPN: forbid mention of Chinese politics when discussing Rockets manager's HK tweet

• Viacom / Paramount: censor Taiwan flag from the jacket worn by Tom Cruise in new "Top Gun" movie

• Disney / Marvel: censored Tibetan monk from "Doctor Strange" & turned him into white woman. Movie screenwriter: "if you acknowledge that Tibet is a place & that he’s Tibetan, you risk alienating one billion people who think that that’s bullshit".

• ASICS, Calvin Klein, Coach, Fresh, Givenchy, Pocari Sweat, Valentino, Versace, Swarovski: details here

• Marriott: apologized & changed "Taiwan" to "Taiwan, China" after China threw a hissy fit

• Nike: removed Houston Rockets products from China webstore

• Activision Blizzard: cut livestream when American U team held up pro-HK sign.

• Apple: handed over iCloud data & encryption keys to China

• Cathay Pacific: fired employees for FB posts supporting HK protests.

• Apple: minimized the seriousness of iOS exploits that enabled China to track Uyghurs, when 1M+ of them are rounded up by China in concentration camps

• Google: censored pro-HK game "The Revolution of Our Times" from Google Play because it was about a "sensitive event".

• Gap: apologized for selling T-shirts IN CANADA that didn't include Taiwan as part of China

• Tiffany: removed tweet showing model covering 1 eye after China accused it of supporting HK

• Marriott: fired employee who liked tweet from Tibetan group

• Mercedes: apologized for quoting Dalai Lama on Instagram

• American, Delta, United: deleted mention of Taiwan as a country from websites

• Audi: apologized for using "incorrect" map of China that left off Taiwan

• Muji: destroyed store catalogs that contain "incorrect" map of China

• Zara: apologized for listing Taiwan as country

• Medtronic: apologized for publishing "illegal content" that listed "Republic of China (Taiwan)" as country

• Ray-Ban: changed "Taiwan" & "Hongkong" to "China Taiwan" & "China Hongkong"

• Qantas, Air France, Air Canada, British Airways, Malaysia Airlines, Japan Airlines, ANA: changed "Taiwan" to "Taiwan China"

• TikTok: censor videos that mention Tiananmen Square, Tibetan independence, Falun Gong

• Sheraton: banned Taiwan National Day event under China pressure

• Disney: removed non-white characters from Chinese poster of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” 

• Philly Sixers: ejected fans for supporting HK

• Princeton: don't talk about 3 Ts: Tibet, Tiananmen, Taiwan

• Leica: released ad on Tiananmen protest. Apologized & distanced itself from ad

• Reddit: took $150M from Tencent. Removed thread like this

• Rockhampton, Queensland: censored Taiwan flag in student project

• Cisco: helped build Great Firewall including module to persecute Falun Gong

• MGM: changed Red Dawn's villain from China to N Korea to placate China

• Global Blue: fired staff for calling Taiwan a country

• L'Oréal / Lancôme: canceled HK artist concert for her pro-democracy activism

• US universities: self-censor in fear of offending China

• Disney: block Winnie the Pooh website in HK.

I love the people equating China with the US just because the US does fucked up shit too. The US's hands are far from clean but to equate it to China is tantamount to CCP propaganda. Also, fuck Zoom.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

zoom sold clients data directly to chinazi, they deserved sanction

On 6/13/2020 at 9:45 PM, S w a t s o n said:

I love the people equating China with the US just because the US does fucked up shit too. The US's hands are far from clean but to equate it to China is tantamount to CCP propaganda. Also, fuck Zoom.

Not entirely. US, unlike China, is responsible for nearly 11 million civilian deaths in the last 20 years alone. And we didn't even go over infrastructure damages that was caused by US illegal bombings, because obviously UN security council applies to everyone except US.

So, to be completely honest, Chinese exercising soft power is one of the least problems we currently have in the world. At least they don't go around the world and bomb countries without UN security council approvals. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

2 hours ago, DaRk0 said:

Not entirely. US, unlike China, is responsible for nearly 11 million civilian deaths in the last 20 years alone. And we didn't even go over infrastructure damages that was caused by US illegal bombings, because obviously UN security council applies to everyone except US.

So, to be completely honest, Chinese exercising soft power is one of the least problems we currently have in the world. At least they don't go around the world and bomb countries without UN security council approvals. 

I guess it's different if China killed 45 MILLION of it's own citizens in just four years during Mao Zedong's "Great Leap Forward". But, for communism.

China doesn't care about its own people; they're treated like serfs. What makes you think they care about any other nation? Would you expect them too otherwise?

The US has its own interests, and an obligation to serve its own people. I don't expect China's interest to align with that of the nation I live in (US). 

On 6/12/2020 at 3:32 PM, Warboy said:

Source - ThePrint and Japan Times

This presents a interesting problem.  I'm very against one country bending a company's arm to handle a user in a completely different country. What other companies could China affect to be against Western culture? 

Oof, that is harsh. At least they admitted it. 

1 hour ago, StDragon said:

The US has its own interests, and an obligation to serve its own people.

Really makes me think.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

4 hours ago, StDragon said:

I guess it's different if China killed 45 MILLION of it's own citizens in just four years during Mao Zedong's "Great Leap Forward". But, for communism.

I think that was for industrialization, not communism. And the comment you quoted also listed those killed by the US in current history as millions. And Britain killed over 35 million Indians by its colonial policies and brutality. And the US also killed a crazy number of millions of people since the end of WW2. The US also bears significant responsibility for the millions killed by the Nazis because the US heavily-sponsored Hitler and the Nazis' rise to power, fed Hitler's anti-Jew ambitions before he even was Germany's Chancellor, and supplied their war preparations to an extent that WW2 would likely not have been possible apart from the US' sponsorship. And going even further back, the US also killed many millions of Native Americans.

But difference between those historical examples and the pointing-out of the dishonest hypocrisy in saying "The US's hands are far from clean but to equate it to China is tantamount to CCP propaganda" is that those aforementioned examples are history, whereas, in the current and ongoing time, where China is being demonized by the US, the US is actually much more of an ongoing detrimental influence in the world for a lot more people than China is.

The US has its own interests, and an obligation to serve its own people. I don't expect China's interest to align with that of the nation I live in (US). 

That's a nice sentiment. But that's really all it is.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

8 hours ago, StDragon said:

China doesn't care about its own people; they're treated like serfs. What makes you think they care about any other nation? Would you expect them too otherwise?

Well, if we start to go to history than all powerful nations were killing millions including UK, France, Spain, Portugal, Gemany etc. I was more taking about end of 20th century and 21st century. We don't see China going around the world bombing countries today. We do however see US and NATO doing that and it's more often than not doing that without UN approval.

Whatever China is doing inside it's own borders it's not our concern. It's the concern of China and it's own citizens. I bet your country would not like to be told what to do.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.