Zoom says China asked it to censor pro-democracy activists in US and it obeyed

Warboy

Zoom Video Communications Inc. said it deactivated accounts of pro-democracy Chinese activists based in the U.S. at the request of China, intensifying concerns that Beijing is extending its censorship clout globally.

Chinese officials reached out to Zoom in May and early June about four videoconference calls that were publicized on social media to commemorate Tiananmen Square protests, the San Jose, California-based company said Thursday in a blog post. Zoom said that China “demanded” the company terminate the meetings and host accounts because of the activity, which it deemed illegal.

Source - ThePrint and Japan Times

This presents a interesting problem.  I'm very against one country bending a company's arm to handle a user in a completely different country. What other companies could China affect to be against Western culture? 

China is a powerful country and if you have seen what happened with the NBA after one NBA official posted solidarity with Hongkong you understand why the zoomers don’t want to get into the focus of Chinese government 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

1 minute ago, Drama Lama said:

China is a powerful country and if you have seen what happened with the NBA after one NBA official posted solidarity with Hongkong you understand why the zoomers don’t want to get into the focus of Chinese government 

I seem to have missed this. What happened?

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

1 minute ago, Statik said:

I seem to have missed this. What happened?

One NBA official posted he stands together with Hongkong protestors or something and China made sanctions against nba I don’t remember the details 

but the case showed the pure might of China government 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Just now, Drama Lama said:

One NBA official posted he stands together with Hongkong protestors or something and China made sanctions against nba I don’t remember the details 

So like I said Zoom knows they better don’t make them ask twice 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Technically i don't think this is a "HUGE news" or whatever . you see the same behavior with online targeted censoring on activists & political bias news in literally every region all over the globe. we just hear about those that get out into mainstream or coming from political opposition. Though this sounds sorta frustrating , it's a "whose hands have less blood" kinda thing.  every online platform does this.

Details separate people.

The gov'ts should just pay for any true and accountable losses in remaining non-compliant to the Chinese gov't. "The only thing necessary for evil to succeed is for all good [companies] to do nothing". 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

There might be other reasons as to why they complied. While the Zoom app itself is banned in China (as with nearly anything else that isn't directly controlled by the CCP), it's not like they don't have any business there.
Because even though they are based in San Jose, they actually have a development team in China
https://technode.com/2020/04/13/is-zoom-crazy-to-count-on-chinese-rd/

Hence why they'd have no choice but to obey, lest they want to get the full might of China bearing down on their lowly employees (among the other things they can do, like taking possession of the code)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Drama Lama said:

I still wish the government would make a move against the NBA for doing that.

We really need to start punishing companies for doing shit like this at China's behest. Some form of economic harm. Maybe revoking a business license or two?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 hours ago, Warboy said:

. What other companies could China affect to be against Western culture? 

All of them.  When you have a choice between sales money in China or blocking a handful of people that are of no consequence to your bottom line you choose the money?

EDIT: P.S western culture isn't under threat, in fact it is growing around the world.  China is the loudest one holding onto their culture (they aren't necessarily against western culture, they are just against losing control).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

All of them.  When you have a choice between sales money in China or blocking a handful of people that are of no consequence to your bottom line you choose the money?

EDIT: P.S western culture isn't under threat, in fact it is growing around the world.  China is the loudest one holding onto their culture (they aren't necessarily against western culture, they are just against losing control).

They don't even operate in China....so it would be no consequence for ignoring china either.

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

(among the other things they can do, like taking possession of the code)

Nothing that robust encryption and careful implementation can’t solve. Though life would suck for the employees. :(

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I still wish the government would make a move against the NBA for doing that.

We really need to start punishing companies for doing shit like this at China's behest. Some form of economic harm. Maybe revoking a business license or two?

The US does the exact same thing all the time, though - intimidating others into doing what the US wants or face repercussions, especially sanctions - and has been doing it for far longer than we've been hearing about China doing it. Maybe China is just learning from the US.

U.S. threatens countries with loss of aid over U.N. vote on Jerusalem

US will 'take names of those who vote to reject Jerusalem recognition'

Kaspersky Lab Response to Issuance of DHS Binding Operational Directive 17-01

US threatens ICC with ‘consequences’ if it acts on war crimes complaint against Israel filed by ‘fake’ Palestinian state

US threatens to arrest ICC judges if they pursue Americans for Afghan war crimes

‘Interference in domestic affairs’: Germany fumes at US sanctions on Nord Stream 2 pipeline

Trudeau: It's 'insulting' that the US considers Canada a national security threat

U.S. moves to cut Huawei off from global chip suppliers as China eyes retaliation

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

6 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

The gov'ts should just pay for any true and accountable losses in remaining non-compliant to the Chinese gov't. "The only thing necessary for evil to succeed is for all good [companies] to do nothing". 

“The government should just pay” is a solution that can heal many problems.  The problem is pay with what?  For 40 years the amount of money the government collects has been reduced year on year because of claims of “waste” which often turn out to be issues that eventually come back to haunt the country in question.  The problem is there’s no money left.   To accommodate the rich things have slowly been cut to the bone and then into the bone, then lopped off.  Now the rich are so powerful they say “if you try to take it back I’ll just leave” and there isn’t a lot that can be done, except perhaps shoot the rich or destroy the areas they would leave to and those are both very extreme.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 hours ago, Warboy said:

They don't even operate in China....so it would be no consequence for ignoring china either.

Yes they do, they just don't allow individuals to host meetings,  you have to have a business register to get a host account.   Probably just another Chinese government demand.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Ah yes another episode of foreign funded activists complaining about Californian software.

The whole "Federal state of China" stream last week was hilariously stupid.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Why bother with Zoom when Google Meet is better? With Google Meet, you don’t need to install a program for PC and Mac, it’s integrated with GSuite and Gmail, and it’s much simpler to use. 

The only advantage Zoom has is that any participant/s can natively record the meeting and save as a video file, whereas with Google Meet only organizers and teachers can record the meeting. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Ahahaha, imagine obeying KEKW

They'd be fine with communism for all shouts haha. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |