What is this hole on the back of my case next to the power supply for?

Blueaid

Case is the Corsair Carbide 275R. I've honestly never noticed it before until now. Every picture I see on the internet of this case doesn't have this hole. I checked videos as well. I know this case got revised at one point. If I wanted to cover it with black electrical tape could I? Only asking if it's for air flow.

IMG_20200611_205834.jpg

IMG_20200611_210031.jpg

Maybe a vent or a place to put fingers when you lift the case?

They included that hole specifically for the purpose of making people ask questions.  Works, don't it.

Machining error maybe? Doesn't show that hole in any of the pictures that I see of the same case on Newegg or the Corsair website.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

5 minutes ago, MrBrightSyde said:

Machining error maybe? Doesn't show that hole in any of the pictures that I see of the same case on Newegg or the Corsair website.

I just searched the case on youtube and sorted by most recently uploaded and all videos have the same hole. I'm just wondering if it's safe to cover at this point.

Might be for routing cables out of the case.

Another case had a similar thing someone asked about.

Can be for things like an led strip on the case or for ambient lighting.

6 minutes ago, artuc said:

Might be for routing cables out of the case

Maybe some case have them ( I don't know why ) but certainly not this one 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Looks like a hole for cables of some sort, one use case i can think of is if you install/uninstall drives frequently so you can pull SATA data and power cables out there for ease of access without having to open and close the case each time.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

9 hours ago, Blueaid said:

Case is the Corsair Carbide 275R. I've honestly never noticed it before until now. Every picture I see on the internet of this case doesn't have this hole. I checked videos as well. I know this case got revised at one point. If I wanted to cover it with black electrical tape could I? Only asking if it's for air flow.

Spoiler

IMG_20200611_210031.jpg

Cutouts like this are usually reserved for passing cables through to either the rear I/O or just internal cables in general. The only real use I've seen for them is on the S340 Elite (and a random gigabyte case I cant remember the name of) that had an HDMI pass-through for VR headsets, allowing you to easily plug them into the front of your case instead of reaching around to the back. 

NZXT S340 Elite Mid-Tower Chassis Review (Page 7 [Case Build & Finished  Product]) | TweakTown

NZXT S340 Elite Mid-Tower Chassis Review (Page 3 [NZXT S340 Elite Mid-Tower  Chassis]) | TweakTown

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Here to solve the mystery for you guys.  The 275R has a similar chassis design to our SPEC-06 which has an RGB variant.  The hole is for the controller that allows adjustment of the front RGB.

IMG_0003.JPG

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/