SAMSUNG is going to release the first 8 tb consumer ssd

Drama Lama

According to Heise.de Samsung is going to release the first 8 tb ssd for consumers 

amazon accidentally listened 4 models with 1 2 4 and 8 tb ranging from 130 to 900 dollar 

Samsung apparently plans to launch the 870 QVO SSD series as the successor to the 860 QVO. The US retailer Amazon has meanwhile listed four models with 1, 2, 4 and 8 TB storage capacity at prices from 130 to 900 US dollars.

the drives are from Samsung’s QVO line so they have QLC nand flash 

1 2 and 4 tb will be available at the end of June. the 8 tb variant is probably going to be available in august 2020

The SSDs with 1, 2 and 4 TB are to be delivered from the end of June 2020, the 8 TB version will follow in August 2020. German market prices should be based on those of the current SSD 860 QVO series

the site is now offline but can be accessed

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache%3AZyF6jrDR7rkJ%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FSamsung-MZ-77Q8T0B-AM-Internal-Version%2Fdp%2FB089C3TZL9+&cd=1&hl=de&ct=clnk&gl=de

the Original article: https://www.heise.de/news/Samsung-870-QVO-Erste-Endkunden-SSD-mit-8-TByte-Speicherplatz-4779584.html

(it’s a german site )

own thougts: it’s really huge and I ask myself what is considered a „consumer „ product because also a lot of professionals could use the product 

its my first tech news post so I might make a lot of mistakes 

Edited by Drama Lama

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

1 minute ago, Benji said:

The first end-user SSD with 8TB already exist in the form of the Sabrent Rocket Q 8TB NVMe SSD 🤔

Well I didn’t knew of that 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

Can it really be classed as "consumer" if it costs $4billion?

899 isn't that much. But as a QLC it kind of sucks

for 50$ less you can get the Micron 5200 instead.

Or for 1999 for the Sabrent rocket SB-RKTQ-8TB

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Well, very good covering up to such capacity. They're covering pretty much every range performance and capacity with upcoming SSDs thos year. Though it will be a while before multi-TB SSDs become common. I mean not even HDDs are yet. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

It's SATA, unfortunately, but it could be great as the modern-day secondary storage or backup drive.

Right now, getting an 8TB single-volume SSD with full NVMe performance generally means getting something like a Mac Pro or MacBook Pro.

16 minutes ago, Commodus said:

It's SATA, unfortunately, but it could be great as the modern-day secondary storage or backup drive.

i'd take this over a standard mechanical hdd.  i can hear my bloody hdd from the next room.

Details separate people.

49 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Right now, getting an 8TB single-volume SSD with full NVMe performance generally means getting something like a Mac Pro or MacBook Pro.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08957PT2K?tag=linus21-20

NVMe M.2 SSD 2280 key... 8TB 3300/2900 read/writes... Could throw this into any modern motherboard, Intel or Ryzen, and you have a single-volume SSD with 8TB of capacity and full NVMe speed.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

7 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

NVMe M.2 SSD 2280 key... 8TB 3300/2900 read/writes...

Sabrents are a little.... iffy.  At best.  You'll probably be OK with it, unlike a Samsung (of the same size) that you'd definitely be OK with.  It's curious why Sammy hasn't done a dual-sided NVMe drive yet of either 4 or 8TB?  Why is Sabrent the trail blazer here with no one following behind them?  You have to scratch you head and say, "Hmm..."

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

On 6/10/2020 at 8:52 AM, jasonvp said:

Sabrents are a little.... iffy.  At best.  You'll probably be OK with it, unlike a Samsung (of the same size) that you'd definitely be OK with.  It's curious why Sammy hasn't done a dual-sided NVMe drive yet of either 4 or 8TB?  Why is Sabrent the trail blazer here with no one following behind them?  You have to scratch you head and say, "Hmm..."

Just wondering why you think Sabrents are iffy at best?  I'm maybe considering getting one of their Rocket (not Q) SSDs, probably 2TB, and am wondering if they're proving to be unreliable (as in dying prematurely), or really slow for large file transfers (like if you're copying like 1.5 to 1.8 TB to it in one operation it slows to like 100 or 300 MB/s after several hundred MB), or is there some other issue?  (Others on my shortlist, same capacity, include Corsair MP510, HP EX950, Mushkin Pilot-E, WD SN750, XPG SX8200 Pro, and maybe Patriot VPN100 but I have my doubts about its heatsink fitting in my laptop.)