Windows may 2020 update causing problems with optane

spartaman64
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

There you go. Intel provided a fix and explanation on the problem. 

Intel says:

During a major OS update, all devices are reinstalled with the best matching drivers. With the 17.5.0.1017 RST driver, the way the Intel® Optane™ memory pinning components are installed was modified. If at some point the driver was upgraded from a version earlier than 17.5.0.1017 to a newer one, the OS update may try to reapply the removed installation files from the earlier versions.  Due to a compatibility issue, an error message may occur.

Source and instructions to fix the issue:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056299/memory-and-storage.html

If you install Windows 10 May 2020 Update on a device with Intel Optane memory, you’re likely to get into trouble, according to my own tests and user reports on Intel forum, Twitter and Feedback Hub

Microsoft is currently notifying some people about the update’s availability and it’s also blocking users from installing the update because it believes May 2020 Update isn’t ready for everyone.

The compatibility issues with certain Intel Optane memory modules is stopping the update from being installed via Windows Update, but you can still force it using the Media Creation tool.

If you force the update via Media Creation Tool, your PC is likely to run into compatibility issues. During the update process, Windows 10 removes one Optane Memory Pinning file from the device, but it would still try to run it and this leads to multiple errors and even performance issues.

We were able to reproduce the compatibility issues on our machine with Intel Optane memory and Windows 10 version 2004. The error message states that the ‘Intel Optane Memory Pinning’ couldn’t load the specified module.

“Unable to load DLL ‘iaStorAfsServiceApi.dll’: The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8),” the read message reads.

source: https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/06/04/windows-10-may-2020-update-intel-optane-issues/

Seems like a pretty big oversight if this happens to the majority or a significant amount of optane users. Does microsoft not do testing anymore?

8 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

Seems like a pretty big oversight if this happens to the majority or a significant amount of optane users. Does microsoft not do testing anymore?

Afaik they indeed don't really test as they used to.

They now hope enough people use insider builds to provide them feedback and most\all of their in-house QA is gone with windows 10.

But, as with every single update for the last i think 2 years now, there are always big problems and issues.

It's no longer thinking "will it be stable" but more a case of "what's broken this time?" because there's always something.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

If MS is blocking people with Optane (thus acknowledging the problem in the first place), yet people are making a run-around to force the OS to update, how is that Microsoft's fault? Did they just now put the block in place, or am I missing something from the article?

25 minutes ago, StDragon said:

If MS is blocking people with Optane (thus acknowledging the problem in the first place), yet people are making a run-around to force the OS to update, how is that Microsoft's fault? Did they just now put the block in place, or am I missing something from the article?

Yes Microsoft has already put a block since several days ago. From what I read Intel and Microsoft are investigating. My guess is that Intel driver update would be required.

so currently the new build doesn't work with AMD cpus or intel Optane, nice work there saying it is launching

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

so currently the new build doesn't work with AMD cpus or intel Optane, nice work there saying it is launching

Where are you seeing it not work with AMD CPUs?

Is that an insider build issue because I've got the official 2004 version running fine on my computer

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

Huh?

so currently the new build doesn't work with AMD cpus...

So far, It's running just fine on my R7-3800x 🤨

nani it works with my 3600

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Where are you seeing it not work with AMD CPUs?

Is that an insider build issue because I've got the official 2004 version running fine on my computer

at least I've been told something about my system isn't compatible and that seemed to be the only thing based on other users maybe that isn't it then

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

at least I've been told something about my system isn't compatible and that seemed to be the only thing based on other users maybe that isn't it then

Hmmm, I noticed everyone above who also said it works is on the 3000 series which is also what I'm running. Maybe it's an issue with 2000 series CPUs then? Seems a bit weird though

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Hmmm, I noticed everyone above who also said it works is on the 3000 series which is also what I'm running. Maybe it's an issue with 2000 series CPUs then? Seems a bit weird though

yeah so far I've seen a few 2000 owners who are told can't update yet

5 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

They are many reason why it may not be compatible. A software (typically security software) or driver might be be locking it. Ensure that everything is updated.

Or you fall on the known issues here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

I think it is more Bluetooth, or their board has the Conexant ISST audio chip, or run age old Nvidia drivers.

3 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

Per Microsoft for v2004

Up through the following AMD 7th Generation Processors (A-Series Ax-9xxx & E-Series Ex-9xxx & FX-9xxx); AMD Athlon 2xx processors, AMD Ryzen 3/5/7 4xxx, AMD Opteron[2] and AMD EPYC 7xxx[2]

If you know of anything more specific, please cite the page you read this from.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

They are many reason why it may not be compatible. A software (typically security software) or driver might be be locking it. Ensure that everything is updated.

Or you fall on the known issues here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

I've got nothing but windows defender running. drivers look to all be up to date.

none are listed there. eh not a big deal I'll worry about updating later

Just now, GDRRiley said:

I've got nothing but windows defender running. drivers look to all be up to date.

none are listed there. eh not a big deal I'll worry about updating later

So then it was temporarily blocked by the automated system.

Basically, if telemetry detects a failure from people, it auto blocks a group of people. Once more people update or Microsoft gets to investigate the telemetry data, things are narrowed down, and the block will be removed for those who ended up not actually be affected.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

So then it was temporarily blocked by the automated system.

Basically, if telemetry detects a failure from people, it auto blocks a group of people. Once more people update or Microsoft gets to investigate the telemetry data, things are narrowed down, and the block will be removed for those who ended up not actually be affected.

ah okay makes sense

2 hours ago, samcool55 said:

But, as with every single update for the last i think 2 years now, there are always big problems and issues.

As much as I love to hate on MS update practices since Windows 10 (and boy, do I hate them), I think in this case they're doing exactly what they should, and what they should have done in several of the previous "updates" that went wrong: finding the issues before release, and not pushing them on systems that will be problems (I'm for not pushing updates, period, but not pushing them on systems that will break is a significant step forward). 

I just hope there wasn't an actual oversight, that is, undetected issues affecting systems that are green-lighted for this update. 

Edited by SpaceGhostC2C

2 hours ago, StDragon said:

So far, It's running just fine on my R7-3800x 🤨

It doesn't show up on my rig, with a fresh install of W10 and a 3700X. It is visible on my tablet however, though the update is blocked for now

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

16 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

It doesn't show up on my rig, with a fresh install of W10 and a 3700X. It is visible on my tablet however, though the update is blocked for now

FYI, I don't have Optane in my rig. Also, I performed an in-place upgrade from v1909 to v2004 without warning or fail :) 

How I like to update Windows 10 to the latest build is via the Windows Media Creation Tool. I proceed to create a boot-able USB flash drive (or download the ISO). Next, create a folder at the root of C drive; I call mine "Window10_Update" (without quotes) and copy all of the contents from either USB or ISO into that folder. Finally, just run the setup.exe to perform the update.

Because it's on an SSD, the process goes much faster.

Once completed, you can feel free to delete that folder to free up space.

5 hours ago, StDragon said:

FYI, I don't have Optane in my rig. Also, I performed an in-place upgrade from v1909 to v2004 without warning or fail :) 

How I like to update Windows 10 to the latest build is via the Windows Media Creation Tool. I proceed to create a boot-able USB flash drive (or download the ISO). Next, create a folder at the root of C drive; I call mine "Window10_Update" (without quotes) and copy all of the contents from either USB or ISO into that folder. Finally, just run the setup.exe to perform the update.

Because it's on an SSD, the process goes much faster.

Once completed, you can feel free to delete that folder to free up space.

I've got my USB A+C stick setup as my primary W10 install media. With my old SATAII/USB 2.0 SSD setup as my GP install drive. Both are far faster than HDD, and despite being slower on reads the SSD installs just as fast due to the better IOPS.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

11 hours ago, StDragon said:

yet people are making a run-around to force the OS to update, how is that Microsoft's fault?

How about not deploying a botched update at all? Or better yet, clicking update shouldn’t install an update’s beta version. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

13 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

As much as I love to hate on MS update practices since Windows 10 (and boy, do I hate them), I think in this case they're doing exactly what they should, and what they should have done in several of the previous "updates" that went wrong: finding the issues before release, and not pushing them on systems that will be problems (I'm for not pushing updates, period, but not pushing them on systems that will break is a significant step forward). 

I just hope there wasn't an actual oversight, that is, undetected issues affecting systems that are green-lighted for this update. 

While it is a step in the right direction. We do also know they sometimes just don't care about bugs and just don't fix them (or fix them when it's too late).

A good example of this is the bug where your documents, music and other personal documents would be gone after upgrading if you had them stored on a different location than default. (which I do for example because I have a lot of stuff and don't need them all stored on my boot drive).

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Can we please, please stop calling these Optane Memory. They are a storage device not memory, Intel your naming is shit, please stop.

11 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Can we please, please stop calling these Optane Memory. They are a storage device not memory, Intel your naming is shit, please stop.

Especially when persistent RAM exists.