Do I need a Ryzen Threadripper for a NAS server from my camera to my PC?

Do I need a Ryzen Threadripper for a NAS server from my camera to my PC? What would be a good CPU for a personal NAS that I will use to store my videos and transport my clips from my camera to my PC. It will store my Youtube videos, and it will be connected to my PC and camera to transport files. This is a personal server, so what is a good processor for this?

So your just using it to store data, accessed by something like a smb share?

If thats the case, cpu really won't matter for most uses.

What bandwidth do you need? What network connectinos?

How many tb?

Threadripper is probably way overkill here

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

So your just using it to store data, accessed by something like a smb share?

If thats the case, cpu really won't matter for most uses.

What bandwidth do you need? What network connectinos?

How many tb?

Threadripper is probably way overkill here

I will have a TB of storage. I will use gigabit per second ethernet. I will connect the server to my camera and PC with thunderbolt 3, and I will store my finished videos on the server. How is the core i9 9900 for my server?

Just now, Hugo Lloris said:

I will have a TB of storage. I will use gigabit per second ethernet. I will connect the server to my camera and PC with thunderbolt 3, and I will store my finished videos on the server. How is the core i9 9900 for my server?

Why are you connecting the camera to the server? Can you make a diagram. Id just plug the camera into your pc.

If you only have one tb of storage and a gigabit network, a pentium or althon is more than enough.

I am building a NAS with 200 TB storage and thunderbolt 3 to transport my video from my camera to my PC. I will use it to store my videos (200tb HHD's) and I will use it to transport my film from my camera to my PC using thunderbolt 3. What is a good CPU for my server? How about a Core i7 10th gen or Ryzen 9? Do I need a threadripper?

If all you need it for is storing the data, not doing any type of encoding on ingest, etc then really any low end Xeon or Ryzen CPU will get it done. Personal preference would be to aim for a 4C/8T ~3GHz. Gives room from future options.

200TB ≠ bigger/better CPU. You don't need a 10th gen, you don't need the latest Ryzen. I'd pick up an old retired server personally but I know thunderbolt support could be a problem in that situation.

Basic file server functions are not CPU intensive.

You don't need high end CPU's like that unless youre doing some sort of processing on the server (e.g ffmpeg, premiere, etc.. encoding)

How much memory though will depend on what your storage system is. If you're using ZFS then its a good idea to get more memory to use for cache and other functions. 

P.S this is just a duplicate of your thread an hour ago...

<removed by staff>

Edited by SansVarnic
Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

-= Topics merged =-

One topic is enough.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

What CPU do I need for a storage server with 250tb of storage, and a server to transport footage from my camera to my PC? Do I really need a Threadripper, or is an i5 good enough? This server will store my videos, and transport large files from my camera to my PC via thunderbolt 3, and it will have 250tb hard drives and a 500 gb ssd. The ssd will be used to transport files from my camera to my PC, and the hard drives will be used to store my final videos. What is a good CPU for this server?

I mean it depends 

Budget ?

What type of footage are you I'm assuming either transcoding or just writing to your pc

What storage is it 

Like is it a high speed high bandwidth redundant nvme bases server or just an HDD server or what 

Also this thread should be in server section

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

4 minutes ago, Hugo Lloris said:

Do I really need a Threadripper, or is an i5 good enough?

You are choosing two totally different CPU's.

Get an AMD R3600, Threadripper for main editing rig maybe, not for storage

Please tag me @Windows9 so I can see your reply

What CPU is good for a storage server with 250tb storage? I will use my server to store my finished videos, but will also use it to transport videos from my camera to PC via thunderbolt 3. I will have 250tb hhd's and 1 500gb m.2 for transport my video projects from my camera to my PC, but I will store my finished edited video on the 250tb hhd's. How is an i5 for this server?

You can use desktop parts if you want but personal preference I'd use a Xeon. Gives better flexibility for server applications. These would be E3's and E5's. Probably a 4C/8T just for the option of having the server do other things in the background.

I'd also opt for a motherboard with a server chipset.

Pretty much any cpu would work.

You will first have to decide how many drives are you gonna use and how they're gonna be connected to the motherboard.

For 250 TB, you'd probably look at 24+ hard drives so you're probably gonna use 2 or more SAS/SATA controllers besides the onboard sata controller, so you would want a motherboard with at least 2-3 pci-e x8 or x16 slots.

With Intel processors, you'd have only the first pci-e slot connected to cpu and the rest would be connected to chipset, so all slots would share around 4 GB/s

With Threadripper, you'd have 60 pci-e lanes ... so you could get a cheap 1900x 8 core threadripper and a 100$ board and you'd have plenty of bandwidth

edit: if you don't care about speed then any motherboard with enough pci-e slots will work

52 minutes ago, Hugo Lloris said:

will have 250tb hhd's

52 minutes ago, Hugo Lloris said:

on the 250tb hhd's

You mean..

GB?

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

1 hour ago, Hugo Lloris said:

What CPU is good for a storage server with 250tb storage? I will use my server to store my finished videos, but will also use it to transport videos from my camera to PC via thunderbolt 3. I will have 250tb hhd's and 1 500gb m.2 for transport my video projects from my camera to my PC, but I will store my finished edited video on the 250tb hhd's. How is an i5 for this server?

This is your third topic asking the same question essentially. The answers were already given to you. Low end i3 will be enough. 

-= Topics Merged =-

One topic on the subject is enough.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER