Breaking: Microsoft officially announces that GW-BASIC from the 1980s is now open source

Kipper Klank
4 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Does...anyone care? (about the news not the post)

education may care. there likely is good teaching material in it.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

@Kipper Klank your post does not meet the Tech News posting Guidelines, please review and update appropriately.

-= Moved to General Discussion =-

When you feel compelled to update the topic please contact a mod to move it back.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 hours ago, Kipper Klank said:

Well folks, here it is. Make your dream retro computer without the worry of a massive corporation suing you for software nobody has used for over 30 years

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/microsoft-open-sources-gw-basic/

https://github.com/microsoft/GW-BASIC

This is actually super-interesting (I've previously seen an implementation of BASIC in javascript)

Rebuild the binary to run on native Windows/MacOSX/Linux, etc, suddenly all that old basic stuff now works again. Not that there's a lot that people would want to revive from the 80's.

Apart from the thousands of 80s games that you'd want.

My Rigs | CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X | Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 | GPU: AMD Radeon Powercolor 7800XT Hellhound | RAM: 32GB of G.Skill Trident Z Neo @3600MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W G+ | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C TG | SSDs: WD BLACK SN850X 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | SSHD: Seagate FireCuda 2TB (Backup) | HDD: Seagate IronWolf 4TB (Backup of Other PCs) | Capture Card: AVerMedia Live Gamer HD 2 | Monitors: AOC G2590PX & Acer XV272U Pbmiiprzx | UPS: APC BR1500GI Back-UPS Pro | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2 | Mouse: Razer Naga Pro | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

First System: Dell Dimension E521 with AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, 3GB DDR2 RAM

PSU Tier List          AMD Motherboard Tier List          SSD Tier List

23 hours ago, blu4 said:

many

*coughs*.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

On 5/22/2020 at 10:14 PM, straight_stewie said:

Still not early enough. Give me Altair Basic or give me death!

I prefer the "Trash 80" version myself but that's just me.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

13 hours ago, Albal_156 said:

Apart from the thousands of 80s games that you'd want.

Yeah, but not a lot of 80's BASIC games were things I'd call "good"

Like If I were to retrieve the 5.25" disks and copy any of the stuff off, maybe one or two I might have nostalgia for, and the rest were exercises in frustration.

My dad had a modified version of Risk where the color palette was less ugly on the Tandy 1000, but why would I play this version when I could play the 1996 version https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/risk_the_game_of_global_domination_1996

Given, it is kinda neat to look at some games that were written before the advent of good graphics capabilities. Like I've never seen a version of Monopoly in BASIC, but have seen it in text-mode DOS.

But I can't think of anything in BASIC that was worth the effort to retrieve. The only thing I know of written in BASIC (Ultima I) was only written in BASIC on the Apple II, the PC version was assembly.

Archon and Lode Runner were 80's games that barely worked on the Tandy 1000 I had at the time, but then again, running games from floppies were exercises in frustration.