G2A confirms stolen game key sales, pays $40,000 to Factorio devs

Pickles von Brine

I don't understand why people were buying on G2A in the first place when you can pirate games for free.

On 5/22/2020 at 4:19 AM, AshRiver said:

Anybody knows good sites selling games key legit at discount similar to G2A and Kinguin?

Fanatical and Green Man Gaming. I personally use Fanatical.

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

25 minutes ago, -CLASSIFIED- said:

its quite simple why people don't do this , steam locks those keys for those regions (99% of the time as far as i can tell this is the case). anyone outside of those regions cannot activate they keys , and possibly not even play the game when out of country. 

I think he was talking about for example Family share feature in Steam when he was talking about games share and not activating key from another region.

Also btw, Steam game gifting limitation is not actually hard locked based on region, its a system of steam comparing the prices per game in the two regions the two people are in and allowing or not based on each games price difference. So one game where the price difference is like 2€ it might allow but another where its 8€ it might not even if the regions is the same in both cases. I do not know exactly where the price difference lock goes tho.

I have found myself being able to gift some games to a online friend in Canada, while not being able to with another game.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, F.E.A.R. said:

I don't understand why people were buying on G2A in the first place when you can pirate games for free.

Fanatical and Green Man Gaming. I personally use Fanatical.

Dont forget about Humble Bundle. I know Ive gotten some games for a pretty good price on their. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Dont forget about Humble Bundle. I know Ive gotten some games for a pretty good price on their. 

The reason why I don't mention Humble Bundle, is because their system works if I'm not wrong, like Steam. I dislike putting 5,10,20,50€ on every try. Fanatical and GMG just take away money from your credit card, you don't have to put money on your account.

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

Just now, F.E.A.R. said:

Fanatical and GMG just take away money from your credit card, you don't have to put money on your account

Umm... I think you have your stuff setup wrong. Steam allows you to use a direct credit card/debit card. 

1426155723_Screenshotfrom2020-05-2415-03-35.thumb.png.7c217a4f81b21f26df6af2d3fe596907.png

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Umm... I think you have your stuff setup wrong. Steam allows you to use a direct credit card/debit card. 

1426155723_Screenshotfrom2020-05-2415-03-35.thumb.png.7c217a4f81b21f26df6af2d3fe596907.png

No you don't understand me. You use your debit card on Steam, but your allowed to add 5,10,20,50€ on your account from your debit card. This isn't the case with Fanatical and GMG, because if I have 500€ on my card, and the game costs 38€ on sale, they automatically pull 38€ from the card and you're left with 462€ on your card, instead of adding 20+20€ and later you're left with money on your account that you can't pull back. This is what I dislike. Unless I'm getting things wrong.

1 minute ago, F.E.A.R. said:

No you don't understand me. You use your debit card on Steam, but your allowed to add 5,10,20,50€ on your account from your debit card. This isn't the case with Fanatical and GMG, because if I have 500€ on my card, and the game costs 38€ on sale, they automatically pull 38€ from the card and you're left with 462€ on your card, instead of adding 20+20€ and later you're left with money on your account that you can't pull back. This is what I dislike.

Well for me Steam always has just pulled the correct amount on my card. Though I did see they removed the Paypal option, which is why I used in the past. Ive never had steam pull more money than what the game costs. So eaither something is set wrong on your account or steam changed the policies not that long ago. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Well for me Steam always has just pulled the correct amount on my card. Though I did see they removed the Paypal option, which is why I used in the past. Ive never had steam pull more money than what the game costs. So eaither something is set wrong on your account or steam changed the policies not that long ago. 

Okay so I was looking in account details, there was a different pay method after all (the SS you posted above). I never paid attention to this. I straight out used the method "Add funds to my Steam wallet". Yup I'm officially a dumbass.

3 minutes ago, F.E.A.R. said:

Okay so I was looking in account details, there was a different pay method after all (the SS you posted above). I never paid attention to this. I straight out used the method "Add funds to my Steam wallet". Yup I'm officially a dumbass.

It happens, sometimes you just need an extra set of eye balls. But what kinda sucks if they took out the pay pal option. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

It happens, sometimes you just need an extra set of eye balls. But what kinda sucks if they took out the pay pal option. 

Weird that they took out PayPal since it's the best paying method.

24 minutes ago, F.E.A.R. said:

The reason why I don't mention Humble Bundle, is because their system works if I'm not wrong, like Steam. I dislike putting 5,10,20,50€ on every try. Fanatical and GMG just take away money from your credit card, you don't have to put money on your account.

13 minutes ago, F.E.A.R. said:

No you don't understand me. You use your debit card on Steam, but your allowed to add 5,10,20,50€ on your account from your debit card. This isn't the case with Fanatical and GMG, because if I have 500€ on my card, and the game costs 38€ on sale, they automatically pull 38€ from the card and you're left with 462€ on your card, instead of adding 20+20€ and later you're left with money on your account that you can't pull back. This is what I dislike. Unless I'm getting things wrong.

Yeah as @Donut417 said, both Steam and HumbleBundle act just like any other e-store. You buy something, it withdraws that amount from your payment card.

With Steam in particular, you can choose to add money to your Steam Wallet (store credit). I don't even know if that's an option on HumbleBundle though, as I've never tried. Always just paid whatever the amount due.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, F.E.A.R. said:

PayPal charges the seller a fee. Likely that fee is a lot higher than whatever Merchant Payment service they use for direct Credit Card payments.

PayPal certainly has it's benefits, but if you're paying with a credit card either way, there's not much difference - every major credit card provides fraud protection, and often other benefits as well.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 5/22/2020 at 8:50 AM, Aereldor said:

Steam is subsisidized - consistently good in Ukraine, China

can you please explain what you mean by subsidized?

1 hour ago, F.E.A.R. said:

Not if people were buying keys, discovering they were stolen or non functional, and stopping charges.  You can do that with paypal.  Says some pretty bad things about reliability.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Not if people were buying keys, discovering they were stolen or non functional, and stopping charges.  You can do that with paypal.  Says some pretty bad things about reliability.

I use MasteCard, I didn't knew this was the case with PayPal.

28 minutes ago, F.E.A.R. said:

I use MasteCard, I didn't knew this was the case with PayPal.

The way PayPal works it is they don’t pay the seller immediately until the buyer gives the OK that the product isn’t fake.  It’s a different system than credit cards and is more complicated.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Seems like scdkey is the better choice here.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

13 hours ago, foldingNoob said:

can you please explain what you mean by subsidized?

It's cheap as fuck. Reflects purchasing power and not exchange rate. Or more expensive if you're Japanese or Israeli, lmao

Can of coke in USA - $1 if bought single.

let's say India...

$1 USD = 75 Indian Rupees

Same can of coke in India = 25 rupees

Games are about 1/3rd original price... 

You could buy a moderately expensive bicycle in India with $60... Nobody would spend it on a game, so steam makes them cheap. 

20 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

It's cheap as fuck. Reflects purchasing power and not exchange rate. Or more expensive if you're Japanese or Israeli, lmao

Can of coke in USA - $1 if bought single.

let's say India...

$1 USD = 75 Indian Rupees

Same can of coke in India = 25 rupees

Games are about 1/3rd original price... 

You could buy a moderately expensive bicycle in India with $60... Nobody would spend it on a game, so steam makes them cheap. 

ok thats regional pricing, not what i thought you meant by subsidize

7 hours ago, foldingNoob said:

ok thats regional pricing, not what i thought you meant by subsidize

Regional pricing is subsidization - at least, often. They are not mutually exclusive.

In some cases, Regional pricing is simply due to less expensive costs (Eg: the cost to bottle a can of Coke in India is cheaper due to cheaper labour, and possibly cheaper ingredients).

But in a case like Steam or games in general, it's largely the same game, regardless of where you buy it (aside from language regionalizations, which make up a fairly negligent amount to the cost of developing a game). So the cost of a game in a lower price bracket region is being subsidized by every other region paying full price.

I can only assume that's what @Aereldor meant, and I largely agree with him.