What are good GPU temperatures

AaronG 21

What are good temperatures for a gpu? I open msi afterburner and it says (when I play games, ex: gta five) that it reaches at 65c is that good? Bc when I touch the gpu feels hot 

Yes 65C will feel hot, your body temperature is 37.

A GPU is fine up to 90-100C.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Obviously the cooler the better. I personally don't like letting my GPU go over 70 (blower style card). So 65 is fine and will feel hot to us, but these chips are designed to work under load.

Keep an eye on load as this will affect the GPU's temps in Afterburner.

I use NZXT CAM top check temps, it also has another feature, Afterbuner should have it, to set a custom fan curve so you can enforce cooling if you want to instead of allowing stock fan curve.

Just in general, If you hear the fans really going up you might be putting the GPU under too much stress. Check its usage/temps and scale back your game as appropriate.

image.png.9cf33b65bf44e7b7a1b0a64bff659da2.png

SETUP:

• Ryzen 9 3900XT @ 4.3 all core (peak core voltage 1.3)  (water)
  • 2x8GB TeamGroup 8Pack Ripped Edition 3600mhz CL14
  • RTX 2080ti OCd @ +150 core, +1000 memory (water)
  • Aorus B550 Elite (rev1)

Personal Bests:

• Cinebench R15: 1785  1883 (Aug 2020)
  • Cinebench R20: 4136  4243 7125 7550 (Feb 2021)
  • 3DMark/Time Spy: 10,238 13,106 13,993 14,149 15,295 (Feb 2021)

Build Log: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1314971-the-ultimate-noctua-pc-15-fans-custom-loop-case-mods/

Under 60 is great. Under 70 is good. Under 80 is fine. Generally you don't really want to go above that, but many cards are rated for 90-100. Really it's the temperature cycling which damages hardware

That's an F in the profile pic

20 hours ago, EmpC said:

Obviously the cooler the better. I personally don't like letting my GPU go over 70 (blower style card). So 65 is fine and will feel hot to us, but these chips are designed to work under load.

Keep an eye on load as this will affect the GPU's temps in Afterburner.

I use NZXT CAM top check temps, it also has another feature, Afterbuner should have it, to set a custom fan curve so you can enforce cooling if you want to instead of allowing stock fan curve.

Just in general, If you hear the fans really going up you might be putting the GPU under too much stress. Check its usage/temps and scale back your game as appropriate.

image.png.9cf33b65bf44e7b7a1b0a64bff659da2.png

Ok! I didn’t move neither touch any setting on msi afterburner, other than the fan speed, Bc when I put it on auto, the fans turn off, even on high end games, which causes to over heat for what I have known, this happened two days ago, so since then I just manually change the speed, if I’m playing high demanding games I put it to 90, 100 fans speed and it keeps it to what the after burner says 56-70 degrees. I was worried that it could be that the sensor was broken and it was giving me wrong degrees, but about what you guys told me from our body heat I guess it’s fine if it’s at those temperatures, if you guys can help me on what to do to let it run automatically and fans work normally please let me know