Need feedback on gaming rig.

Budget (including currency): Around 3600 CAD, including monitor

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Planning on having it prepared to run games 5 or so years from now.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Monitor would preferably be 27", 144 hz and 1440p. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/odinlegoman/saved/YKwXbv is what I have planned out, feedback would be nice. Thinking of getting another monitor at a future point.

Edited by OdinTheGuy
Typo involving budget.

5 minutes ago, OdinTheGuy said:

Budget (including currency): Around 2600 CAD, including monitor

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Planning on having it prepared to run games 5 or so years from now.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Monitor would preferably be 27", 144 hz and 1440p. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/odinlegoman/saved/YKwXbv is what I have planned out, feedback would be nice. Thinking of getting another monitor at a future point.

You went 1000$ over your own budget? Is your budget 3600 or 2600 now?

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

You went 1000$ over your own budget? Is your budget 3600 or 2600 now?

Typo! Sorry.

Just now, OdinTheGuy said:

Typo! Sorry.

Right now is probably the worst time to buy such a expensive system. Intel is launching it's new cpu's right now and Nvidia is launching their new stuff in september. I'd just wait at this point. That and corona is really spiking prices or making things very hard to find.

you need stronger cooler for 9900k, dark rock pro 4, or noctua nhd 15

1 minute ago, Chabax said:

you need stronger cooler for 9900k, dark rock pro 4, or noctua nhd 15

Got it! Updated it.

2 minutes ago, Chabax said:

you need to change motherboard aswell, get Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI

Updated that as well. Thanks! First time building a PC, have no idea what to do haha.

Do not buy an Intel Z390 based system. You should wait for the embargo to lift on the 20th May, then check out reviews. After that you should then buy an R7 3700X instead 😎

Seriously though it is not a great time to be buying Intel. The Z390 is end of life, and 14nm++++++++++++ is creaking under the strain of the architecture. 

3 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

Do not buy an Intel Z390 based system. You should wait for the embargo to lift on the 20th May, then check out reviews. After that you should then buy an R7 3700X instead 😎

Seriously though it is not a great time to be buying Intel. The Z390 is end of life, and 14nm++++++++++++ is creaking under the strain of the architecture. 

Okay. I honestly trust you over the Chabax guy. He PM'd me a PC build with like 650 watt power supply and cheaped out other stuff, and somehow got the budget past 4000 CAD. It couldn't hurt to wait a week for a way better quality motherboard.

22 minutes ago, OdinTheGuy said:

Okay. I honestly trust you over the Chabax guy. He PM'd me a PC build with like 650 watt power supply and cheaped out other stuff, and somehow got the budget past 4000 CAD. It couldn't hurt to wait a week for a way better quality motherboard.

The Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro wifi is a good board, but there is no upgrade path from an i9 9900K. So no way of knowing how an 8 core will perform in 5 years. Should still be fine, but there are better options with Ryzen.

The 10 core i9 10900K looks like it runs very hot and is very power hungry if rumours are correct, but until we see reviews we don't know how good/bad it is for sure. 

13 hours ago, jaslion said:

Right now is probably the worst time to buy such a expensive system. Intel is launching it's new cpu's right now and Nvidia is launching their new stuff in september. I'd just wait at this point. That and corona is really spiking prices or making things very hard to find.

You have official information that Nvidia is releasing in September?

Or is that a guess?

16 hours ago, Dravinian said:

You have official information that Nvidia is releasing in September?

Or is that a guess?

Pretty concrete rumours.

I wouldn't go for an Intel build in this time of the year, especially since 10th Gen Intel is around the corner, but the 10900K will run like a preheated oven. You should wait for 10th Gen to get released to see for benchmarks, otherwise I'd go with a Ryzen 3900X.

If you're going to go for a build now, this is what I suggest:

Here are some other monitor suggestions:

ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD 27 Inch Frameless WQHD 1440p 144Hz 1ms IPS Gaming Monitor with FreeSync Eye Care HDMI and DisplayPort,Black .

LG 27GL850-B 27 Inch Ultragear QHD Nano IPS 1ms NVIDIA G-Sync Compatible Gaming Monitor

ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27” Monitor, 1440P WQHD (2560 x 1440), IPS, 165Hz (Supports 144Hz), G-SYNC Compatible, 1ms, Extreme Low Motion Blur Sync, Eye Care, DisplayPort HDMI

LG 32GK650F-B 32" QHD Gaming Monitor with 144Hz Refresh Rate and Radeon FreeSync Technology

VIOTEK GFT27DB 27-Inch WQHD Gaming Monitor with Speakers, 1440p 144Hz 1ms, FreeSync & Works w/G-SYNC, TN Panel 115% sRGB, DP HDMIx3 VESA HP OMEN X 27” 240 Hz 1ms Gaming Monitor, QHD 2560 x 1440p, AMD Radeon FreeSync 2 HDR, HDR, DCI P3, (6FN07AA) Black (27HDR)

MSI Optix MPG27CQ QHD 144Hz Curved RGB 27in VA Gaming Monitor

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

15 hours ago, F.E.A.R. said:

I wouldn't go for an Intel build in this time of the year, especially since 10th Gen Intel is around the corner, but the 10900K will run like a preheated oven. You should wait for 10th Gen to get released to see for benchmarks, otherwise I'd go with a Ryzen 3900X.

If you're going to go for a build now, this is what I suggest:

Here are some other monitor suggestions:

ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD 27 Inch Frameless WQHD 1440p 144Hz 1ms IPS Gaming Monitor with FreeSync Eye Care HDMI and DisplayPort,Black .

LG 27GL850-B 27 Inch Ultragear QHD Nano IPS 1ms NVIDIA G-Sync Compatible Gaming Monitor

ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27” Monitor, 1440P WQHD (2560 x 1440), IPS, 165Hz (Supports 144Hz), G-SYNC Compatible, 1ms, Extreme Low Motion Blur Sync, Eye Care, DisplayPort HDMI

LG 32GK650F-B 32" QHD Gaming Monitor with 144Hz Refresh Rate and Radeon FreeSync Technology

VIOTEK GFT27DB 27-Inch WQHD Gaming Monitor with Speakers, 1440p 144Hz 1ms, FreeSync & Works w/G-SYNC, TN Panel 115% sRGB, DP HDMIx3 VESA HP OMEN X 27” 240 Hz 1ms Gaming Monitor, QHD 2560 x 1440p, AMD Radeon FreeSync 2 HDR, HDR, DCI P3, (6FN07AA) Black (27HDR)

MSI Optix MPG27CQ QHD 144Hz Curved RGB 27in VA Gaming Monitor

I like the build, but the motherboard isn't available, and it's around 500 bucks under my current budget. (which isn't including the motherboard that isn't purchasable).  I also changed the case back to what I had, simply due to taste. If you could help me sort out the motherboard issue, which I think shouldn't take too long, that'd be fantastic. Thank you! https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/odinlegoman/saved/YKwXbv

7 minutes ago, OdinTheGuy said:

I like the build, but the motherboard isn't available, and it's around 500 bucks under my current budget. (which isn't including the motherboard that isn't purchasable).  I also changed the case back to what I had, simply due to taste. If you could help me sort out the motherboard issue, which I think shouldn't take too long, that'd be fantastic. Thank you! https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/odinlegoman/saved/YKwXbv

Yeah I just checked. A lot of things are out of stock. But you should check some local retailers in Canada (It's a big country) and check if the Asus X570 Prime-P, Asus X570 Asus TUF, Asrock X570 Taichi or the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra (The TUF, Taichi and Aorus Ultra go up to 300$ US dollars).

Also please remove Windows from your buying list. Nobody buys Windows, but this is the problem with countries like USA, Canada, Germany, Austria etc. fighting against "piracy" (it's called file sharing) and can't fight against lootboxes and gambling in gaming. If you don't know how to pirate Windows or don't have a VPN, just install the Windows 10 Basic (offline not online) and buy Windows 10 Pro key from Ebay for 7-10$ CAD.

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

3 minutes ago, F.E.A.R. said:

Yeah I just checked. A lot of things are out of stock. But you should check some local retailers in Canada (It's a big country) and check if the Asus X570 Prime-P, Asus X570 Asus TUF, Asrock X570 Taichi or the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra (The TUF, Taichi and Aorus Ultra go up to 300$ US dollars).

Also please remove Windows from your buying list. Nobody buys Windows, but this is the problem with countries like USA, Canada, Germany, Austria etc. fighting against "piracy" (it's called file sharing) and can't fight against lootboxes and gambling in gaming. If you don't know how to pirate Windows or don't have a VPN, just install the Windows 10 Basic (offline not online) and buy Windows 10 Pro key from Ebay for 7-10$ CAD.

Alright, I got the ASRock X570 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard. 50 dollar discount as well :).

Core i9 10900K is actually decent heat wise, from what Linus said in his review of them. It still runs high on power, but that's less of a problem then having your house burn down.

14 minutes ago, OdinTheGuy said:

Core i9 10900K is actually decent heat wise, from what Linus said in his review of them. It still runs high on power, but that's less of a problem then having your house burn down.

Well you can't get it now, you have a Ryzen build. Besides the 10900K and 10700K outperform Ryzen by 20-40 fps. And the margin is non existent at 1440p, only in a Intel favorite game like Far Cry. The CPU draws too much power and it's 83°C at all core 5.1GHz with the best 360mm AIO. Simply it isn't worth it. 

1 minute ago, F.E.A.R. said:

Well you can't get it now, you have a Ryzen build. Besides the 10900K and 10700K outperform Ryzen by 20-40 fps. And the margin is non existent at 1440p, only in a Intel favorite game like Far Cry. The CPU draws too much power and it's 83°C at all core 5.1GHz with the best 360mm AIO. Simply it isn't worth it. 

Yeah, just stating it. I bet Ryzen is going to step up their game with their next gen stuff.

1 minute ago, OdinTheGuy said:

Yeah, just stating it. I bet Ryzen is going to step up their game with their next gen stuff.

AMD has already stepped up the game. And I'm pretty sure Ryzen 4000 is gonna blow Intel into the water. You can easily upgrade to a Ryzen 4000 since you have an X570. There's a reason why Intel is slightly better in single core performance than AMD. And AMD is closing this gap. However I can't explain it to you because I don't remember the differences and reasons. 

I too would go for a ryzen processor, they cost less tha intel counterpart and they sometimes outperform greatly the compared product. 

As for the 5 years from now games, my main machine is still running an i7 3770 non k and I can play any game I want (1080p high to ultra, some newer games at medium to high settings), so I wouldn't bother much about it. Just make sure that the cpu you are gonna buy doesn't bottleneck the best GPU you could ever afford, like a 2080 for instance. Even if you don't buy an RTX now you might want to upgrade your rig in the future, maybe in 3 years they come up with a GPU you feel like buying and if you have the correct motherboard and cpu combo now you will not need to change anything else

17 minutes ago, Raptor_Fawr said:

I too would go for a ryzen processor, they cost less tha intel counterpart and they sometimes outperform greatly the compared product. 

As for the 5 years from now games, my main machine is still running an i7 3770 non k and I can play any game I want (1080p high to ultra, some newer games at medium to high settings), so I wouldn't bother much about it. Just make sure that the cpu you are gonna buy doesn't bottleneck the best GPU you could ever afford, like a 2080 for instance. Even if you don't buy an RTX now you might want to upgrade your rig in the future, maybe in 3 years they come up with a GPU you feel like buying and if you have the correct motherboard and cpu combo now you will not need to change anything else

The rig I'm planning on buying relatively soon has a 2070 super, and a Ryzen 9 3900X. Also, just to note, the price has been boosting up on the PC slowly. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/odinlegoman/saved/YKwXbv Not a problem right now, but, still good to keep an eye on.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are planning to buy a high end ryzen like the one you mentioned you should check for a b550 motherboard, it's not required but it could be a good idea to keep an eye on those