Plot Hole in Thor Ragnarok/Avengers Infinity War and Avengers Endgame?

WaggishOhio383

Edit: Before you go any further, I guess I should say spoiler alert, but then again if you cared about spoilers for these movies you probably would have seen them by now.

I recently stumbled across an interesting plot hole in some recent Marvel movies. My apologies if this plot hole has already been addressed by someone else, but I've never heard any discussion about it, and it annoys me that noone else (to my knowledge) noticed it. At the end of Thor Ragnarok, Thor has all the people from Asgard get onto the spaceship and fly away before he releases Surtur, completely destroying Asgard. They then fly away to make a new home on Earth. However, their journey is cut short at the beginning of Avengers Infinity War when Thanos arrives and destroys the entire ship, which would presumably kill all the people on board (the entirety of Asgard's remaining population). This leaves Thor as the sole survivor who is later rescued by the Guardians of the Galaxy. However, in Avengers Endgame, we get a scene showing off New Asgard, where we see all the Asgardian people alive and well, as if nothing ever happened. Is there ever any explanation for how they got there without dying, or is it left to the viewer to try to discern? One possibility I thought of is that Heimdal could have teleported the people to earth before the ship was destroyed, but is he even capable of doing that without the bifrost? I'd apreciate any input if anyone has a good explanation for how this could have happened. Maybe I'm just stupid and there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for how they got to New Asgard. Either way, I'd love to clear this up.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Didn't Thanos just killed HALF of the refuges. 

That's his whole purpose, halving population.

Could also just be that the others escaped through escape pods or another ship that we don't really see, which seems to be what was supposed to have happened
https://screenrant.com/avengers-infinity-war-asgardians-survived/
As apparently the Grandmaster's ship was docked onto the refugees ship.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Didn't Thanos just killed HALF of the refuges. 

That's his whole purpose, halving population.

Could also just be that the others escaped through escape pods that we don't see, which seems to be what was supposed to have happened
https://screenrant.com/avengers-infinity-war-asgardians-survived/

I guess that makes sense. It just annoys me when movie directors say that something happened off screen. It feels like they just forgot about it and then had to make up an excuse for the plot hole.

This did raise another question for me though. If Thanos's goal was to kill half of every population, did the snap not kill any Asgardians since he already killed half of them earlier? Just something to wonder about.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

46 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

This did raise another question for me though. If Thanos's goal was to kill half of every population, did the snap not kill any Asgardians since he already killed half of them earlier? Just something to wonder about.

Yes. But, lets be honest here, the snap alone was a terrible idea to begin with. Thanos didn't think this through, he single mindlessly decided he'll cull half the population of every races of the universe... to help them ?

Yet, just on earth alone, we have more than enough resources and land to accommodate a couple more billion of people. The fact that there's people starving, ain't gonna change by culling half the population. Even more so if the ones getting removed are random so we could potentially lose all of our farmers, scientists and brightness minds while only having rednecks left or something that know jack shit about farming. The world will go to shit very quickly and a lot more than just half the population will disappear.

Lets not even mention things like trains, airplanes, cars, boats, etc, that will just crash/sink because their drivers/pilots/crews just disappeared. It will disrupt the entire international trade resulting in even more famine, more poverty, more everything... except for well being. Nuclear and other power stations being left unmanned probably didn't help either.

Now there could be, maybe, some races in that universe who are unable to subsist on their planet alone...  But you'd think before reaching that point, they'd go out exploring the world or do a culling of their own with a pseudo war or through a virus. It's not hard for world leaders to make that decision... Or just by using a strict "one child" policy like what China did for so long.

So all in all, Thanos is a moron, he didn't think the snap through properly and you're looking too deep into this.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

The never say he killed everyone on the ship, you could draw that conclusion but they dont actually say that in the movie so that closes the plot hole from their point of view.

9 hours ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Edit: Before you go any further, I guess I should say spoiler alert, but then again if you cared about spoilers for these movies you probably would have seen them by now.

I recently stumbled across an interesting plot hole in some recent Marvel movies. My apologies if this plot hole has already been addressed by someone else, but I've never heard any discussion about it, and it annoys me that noone else (to my knowledge) noticed it. At the end of Thor Ragnarok, Thor has all the people from Asgard get onto the spaceship and fly away before he releases Surtur, completely destroying Asgard. They then fly away to make a new home on Earth. However, their journey is cut short at the beginning of Avengers Infinity War when Thanos arrives and destroys the entire ship, which would presumably kill all the people on board (the entirety of Asgard's remaining population). This leaves Thor as the sole survivor who is later rescued by the Guardians of the Galaxy. However, in Avengers Endgame, we get a scene showing off New Asgard, where we see all the Asgardian people alive and well, as if nothing ever happened. Is there ever any explanation for how they got there without dying, or is it left to the viewer to try to discern? One possibility I thought of is that Heimdal could have teleported the people to earth before the ship was destroyed, but is he even capable of doing that without the bifrost? I'd apreciate any input if anyone has a good explanation for how this could have happened. Maybe I'm just stupid and there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for how they got to New Asgard. Either way, I'd love to clear this up.

The part that blew up was only one large chunk of the ship.

So Thanos didn’t kill them all. 

It’s also not really a plot hole when they decide to exclude something from the story. Not to mention how much stuff gets cut on the editing room floor. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 5/10/2020 at 9:42 PM, TetraSky said:

Thanos didn't think this through, he single mindlessly decided he'll cull half the population of every races of the universe... to help them ?

You misunderstand. Thanos was never about "helping those IN the universe" in the films. He did the whole "half of everything" routine so the Universe didn't eventually get fucked up and "die" etc etc

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

While there are plot holes in this series, this isn't one - just watched it twice through during quarantine

Just like he didn't kill both Gods on the ship (could have).  He wasn't going to kill either...but Loki made fun of him (when he said, you will never be a god, right before Thanos got ANGRY - emotional, which prior he never let emotion into his decisions - because in the realms his race is under Gods in terms of raw power - Thanos is a Titanian Eternal) so he killed 1 god, but left the other god alive.  Half.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

On 5/10/2020 at 9:56 PM, WaggishOhio383 said:

I guess that makes sense. It just annoys me when movie directors say that something happened off screen. It feels like they just forgot about it and then had to make up an excuse for the plot hole.

It's implied. You're expected to put two and two together - Thanos says multiple times he kills half of each population and when you see Asgardians survivors later it's made obvious he didn't kill them all. He also spared Thor and the Hulk.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

It's implied. You're expected to put two and two together - Thanos says multiple times he kills half of each population and when you see Asgardians survivors later it's made obvious he didn't kill them all. He also spared Thor and the Hulk.

Hulk got Bifrosted to Earth by Heimdall - his last act to warn the avengers, so Thanos kills him

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 minute ago, Tristerin said:

Hulk got Bifrosted to Earth by Heimdall - his last act to warn the avengers, so Thanos kills him

Right, forgot about that. Still if he just wanted to kill everyone he would have just blown up the ship, not boarded it. It's not like the infinity stone would have blown up too.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Right, forgot about that. Still if he just wanted to kill everyone he would have just blown up the ship, not boarded it. It's not like the infinity stone would have blown up too.

Yup - Thanos at multiple times continues his edict of half.

It wasn't until he said that the Avengers pissed him off so its now personal, that the actual most powerful forms in the near Universe got involved.  (TECHNICALLY Strange and Marvel are more powerful than Thanos, and could have ended this at any time - BUT if they get directly involved, the Universe is required to make more evil that can match that Good Interference)

Once he did that, Marvel increases in her power to match his.  At first he punches her, knocks her down.  Then she gets head butt by him and it doesn't even make her flinch (flexing her power) - he has to take the Power Stone out of the fist (most powerful of the Stones) and punch her directly with it to affect her.

EDIT - at any time Marvel could have killed Thanos, any time.  She is the embodiment of Infinity Stone power.  Strange could have rolled him back in time to an infant at any time with the Time Stone.  But to do so, fucks time Fabric. Instead he has to poke and prod (along with Marvel) lesser beings to help get the work done (or they would become weaker, always relying on the Most Powerful beings to fix things)

On 5/10/2020 at 12:56 PM, WaggishOhio383 said:

There might be another explanation as well.

Is it not possible that at least some of the Asgardians weren't on their home planet when the feces hit the fan? They would have been aware that other races lived on other planets throughout the galaxy, maybe some went out exploring for whatever reason and found out what happened upon their return (or heard about it when they were still out and about). Once they were able, seems like they would have headed to New Asgard.

I am not super familiar with the MCU, but is that not a possible explanation?

-kp

On 5/10/2020 at 8:15 PM, WaggishOhio383 said:

IW and endgame are poorly written movies there's plotholes everywhere. for example why didn't strange just stop time to remove the gauntlet or let someone cave Thanos' head in? Why didn't he trap him in the mirror dimension because you need a sling ring to get out?

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

On 5/16/2020 at 4:23 PM, kpluck said:

There might be another explanation as well.

Is it not possible that at least some of the Asgardians weren't on their home planet when the feces hit the fan? They would have been aware that other races lived on other planets throughout the galaxy, maybe some went out exploring for whatever reason and found out what happened upon their return (or heard about it when they were still out and about). Once they were able, seems like they would have headed to New Asgard.

I am not super familiar with the MCU, but is that not a possible explanation?

-kp

Asgard is destroyed during Thor Ragnarok. 

On 5/16/2020 at 4:58 PM, Lord Vile said:

IW and endgame are poorly written movies there's plotholes everywhere. for example why didn't strange just stop time to remove the gauntlet or let someone cave Thanos' head in? Why didn't he trap him in the mirror dimension because you need a sling ring to get out?

Actually Strange tried that, but Thanos was able to shatter the mirror dimension - presumably with the Reality stone. 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Still wondering when Asgard stopped off in NSW. Thor and Loki obviously have different baby mommas. 

33 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Asgard is destroyed during Thor Ragnarok. 

Actually Strange tried that, but Thanos was able to shatter the mirror dimension - presumably with the Reality stone. 

Why didn't he try it from the start? in the bajillion version of events he saw why did he not think to pause time and let tony unibeam his head? 

44 minutes ago, Mutoh said:

Still wondering when Asgard stopped off in NSW. Thor and Loki obviously have different baby mommas. 

I mean... Loki is *literally* adopted. He’s not even an Asgard, species wise. 

17 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Why didn't he try it from the start? in the bajillion version of events he saw why did he not think to pause time and let tony unibeam his head? 

So basically why didn’t the movie end within 5 minutes? Because that’s boring. 

Aside from that, maybe there was some defence against that kind of attack. 

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

So basically why didn’t the movie end within 5 minutes? Because that’s boring. 

Aside from that, maybe there was some defence against that kind of attack. 

It's a plothole riddled mess. But I didn't know what I was expecting it's not like the MCU has a good track record when it comes to producing good films. 

1 hour ago, Lord Vile said:

It's a plothole riddled mess. But I didn't know what I was expecting it's not like the MCU has a good track record when it comes to producing good films. 

You’re certainly welcome to hold that opinion. But I don’t expect a lot of people to share it. 

I certainly don’t. Sure there are occasionally some “not great” MCU movies (Captain America 1 and Thor 2 come to mind). But by and large, they make very good films. 

And for such a complex storyline that ultimately is he convergence of a dozen movies, IW and EG are great. Certainly not a mess, by any stretch. 

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

You’re certainly welcome to hold that opinion. But I don’t expect a lot of people to share it. 

I certainly don’t. Sure there are occasionally some “not great” MCU movies (Captain America 1 and Thor 2 come to mind). But by and large, they make very good films. 

And for such a complex storyline that ultimately is he convergence of a dozen movies, IW and EG are great. Certainly not a mess, by any stretch. 

By and large they’re 6 out of 10s. Could probably count on one hand the “good” ones that are worth watching more than a few times. A lot just get stale and they’re all just too similar. 

They certainly are a mess especially when you realise they butchered one of marvels few good comics. They did that to Civil war too. 

18 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

By and large they’re 6 out of 10s. Could probably count on one hand the “good” ones that are worth watching more than a few times. A lot just get stale and they’re all just too similar. 

They certainly are a mess especially when you realise they butchered one of marvels few good comics. They did that to Civil war too. 

That's just, like, your opinion man :P 

sudo chmod -R 000 /*