Help with CAT6 and connecters

Juch

hey, i have a question about the connecters for cat6 cables. my house is wired with cat6, but i need to put on the rj45 connecters on the ends with my crimp tool. I was woundering if I NEED CAT6 Connecters, or if rj45 connecters are all the same, and the only thing speed wise for cat6 is the cable its self.

Lmk

Thanks

#LLT

beauty

just one more thing, basically thats saying that just the order you put the cables in the crossover method, rather then the normal way?

No. keep the same order of wires on both ends of the cable. Doesn't matter which one, though I think the one with green on the left is preferred by cable manufacturers.

A crossover cable (one with one order on end 1 and the other order on end 2) is only needed with very old 10 mbps and 100 mbps only network cards, if you want to make a direct connection between two network cards.

1 gbps and better network cards have auto-pair detection and will automatically detect the order of wires so crossover cables are no longer needed to connect two computers together without a switch or hub between them. 

So yeah, technically and if you want to be anal about it, you should use cat6a connectors with cat6a cable. However, the standard is like that to make ethernet cables work up to 100 meters of cable length and in more difficult conditions and at those high speeds like 10gbps.

For small lengths of cable, like up to 10-25 meters of cable, you can use the basic RJ45 (cat5e , cat6) connectors, as the slightly lower quality of manually crimping the connectors won't affect the strength of the signal to such degree to cause issues.

So you'll be perfectly fine.

thanks so much

going with the CAT6 Cables WITH the CAT5e connecters

13 hours ago, Juch said:

thanks so much

going with the CAT6 Cables WITH the CAT5e connecters

Mind the Wire gauge. CAT6 23 AWG might not fit in a CAT5/5e terminator.

3 hours ago, Brian Blankenship said:

Mind the Wire gauge. CAT6 23 AWG might not fit in a CAT5/5e terminator.

Yes, listen to this. I tried cat5 rated connectors with my CAT6 cables. It was 50/50 success crimping. I couldn't seat the cable deep enough. I ended up buying proper ends and was much happier. 

ok, I used the cat5, and i made it work. Thinking back on it that makes sense because it was a pain to fit it properly... unless it wasnt ment to fit lol... its working now.

Thanks everyone!