Got hacked... letting off steam.

GamersCouch

So, my Activision account got hacked! Chatted with Activision and they confirmed this. Also, they confirmed it's happening to multiple accounts. Spent some good money on this and a decent amount of time. This is what they told me.

Thank you, in this case as what I am seeing right now, another person change the email and the password on your profile, that is why you do not received the email to reset the password, here is the situation with the information you just provide me I see your account but I am unable to do anything on it, so in this case we will need to send this information up to a higher level team to further review your case, unfortunately you are not the only player that have this problem, so we will need to look into what is going on.
Sadly we do not have any estimated time how much time is going to take, so will let you know via email once we have an update.

They changed my email and password. I can't log in or reset my credentials... argh! It's been 3 weeks now, and nothing. Here's what they changed my name to:

Image.thumb.jpg.1ae150cf741ffaec5c6b6a2cb49b2506.jpg

How did your account get compromised? Do they allow you to have two factor? may be soemthing to look into in the future. Either way that sucks. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

On 4/30/2020 at 11:11 PM, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

How did your account get compromised? Do they allow you to have two factor? may be soemthing to look into in the future. Either way that sucks. 

From what I can tell, there is no way to get two factor authentication enabled. I have another account that I let my kids play on, and I tried to make it more secured, but there is no way to do that. Still no reply from Activision.

Wait, Activision doesn't send emails that your email has been changed to the original email first? Yikes!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

And this, is why any service that lets you change the email associated to your account, without notifying the existing email of the change and without the ability to Stop/Reverse the change, is shit.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Had this happen to a buddy's blizzard account years ago. Went on vacation, didnt log in, came back and had no access. 

Luckily they were able to get his account back eventually. Hoping for the same result here OP.

1 hour ago, Mutoh said:

Had this happen to a buddy's blizzard account years ago. Went on vacation, didnt log in, came back and had no access. 

Luckily they were able to get his account back eventually. Hoping for the same result here OP.

Please let that be the case. I wouldn't even know what steps to take if they don't. I saw a petition to start a lawsuit for this very same thing due to lack of network security...

Why is it always Russians?

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

2 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Why is it always Russians?

Because of too much free time... and too much vodka bottles.

Intel Core i7 8700(Stock coler ;-;)/Gigabyte RTX 2070 Windforce 8GB rev2.0/16GB DDR4 2666Mhz RAM/ Gigabyte Z390 UD/Xigmatek Poseidon RGB case/700W Aerocool power supply.

4 hours ago, GamersCouch said:

Please let that be the case. I wouldn't even know what steps to take if they don't. I saw a petition to start a lawsuit for this very same thing due to lack of network security...

Not just network security, it could be a social engineering issue. That's what happen to Linus a few years back.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

if your account gets hacked like this most of the time your email and password got leaked from a data breach on some website you registered on. You foolishly used the same email / password on more than one account. your leaked data was sold in a thing called a "combo list" then ran in a program by  "cracker(s)" who tired that combo on many websites or what they call "configs" then they sell the accounts that the program could successfully log into. If your email / pass was able to be changed then they either had email access or the account just allowed them to change it with no email confirmation as some places are like that. 

My advice would be to change your password on all accounts that have the same password as that one. I would also use different passwords per account. If you kids know the password I would limit that so you just log in for them and they do not know the account info. That why they cannot go on a sketchy site and possible get the account compromised. That is also something that could have happened.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

On 5/7/2020 at 8:30 PM, blu4 said:

if your account gets hacked like this most of the time your email and password got leaked from a data breach on some website you registered on. You foolishly used the same email / password on more than one account. your leaked data was sold in a thing called a "combo list" then ran in a program by  "cracker(s)" who tired that combo on many websites or what they call "configs" then they sell the accounts that the program could successfully log into. If your email / pass was able to be changed then they either had email access or the account just allowed them to change it with no email confirmation as some places are like that. 

My advice would be to change your password on all accounts that have the same password as that one. I would also use different passwords per account. If you kids know the password I would limit that so you just log in for them and they do not know the account info. That why they cannot go on a sketchy site and possible get the account compromised. That is also something that could have happened.

I've learned my lesson years ago when that happened to me on my old PSN account. Ever since then I've used Last Pass, generating different passwords to different accounts since then. I can assure you, this is not the case. Thanks for your half hearted advice though.

Y

21 hours ago, GamersCouch said:

I've learned my lesson years ago when that happened to me on my old PSN account. Ever since then I've used Last Pass, generating different passwords to different accounts since then. I can assure you, this is not the case. Thanks for your half hearted advice though.

Exactly! I recommend Last Pass for that very reason.

Now if only banks would allow for virtual CC numbers to be used for online purchases, then I (and the bank) could know where the card info got leaked from. CC fraud is the worst, and it always seems to come out of Florida 🤬