Why is my internet so slow even though its rated for 1 GB

Both my Ethernet and my motherboard are rated for 1 Gigabyte, but for example Steam only downloads at about 10 MB even with no limit on. Other things are a bit faster, like Origin that downloads at 50 GB. Is this just a problem with me having bad internet?

What bandwidth are you paying for? You are limited to the slowest link so if you pay for 100mbps for example, you are limited by that, not the gigabit port on the motherboard.

1st, there is a difference between gigabit ethernet and a gigabyte per second connection.

2nd, If you are not paying for internet service that provides for a download speed of 1 gigabyte per second, it doesn't matter what your hardware supports.

1 gigabit connection would be ~0.125 Gigabyte connection or. ~128Megabytes per second.

That's the theoretical maximum, on a clear day with no one else using the internet.

There is also the ways that broadband works, like DSL and Cable...

Alienware Area 51m 2019:  RTX 2060 | i7-9700 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance (2x16GB) 2666 | 1TB 970 EVO | 240GB Corsair Force MP510.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=812790

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NZKshatriya/saved/

BACKUP SYSTEM:  ASUS Prime X470 PRO | Ryzen 5 1600 | G.skill FORTIS 16GB(2x8GB) 2400 | SanDisk SDSSDA 120GB | EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 | HAF-XB-EVO

Many things limit downloads for steam and other things.

Firstly the hardware at the other end has to supply the data fast enough.

Then the connection to your router has to deliver it.

Then it has to write to the drive you have. 

Any one of these could be the limiting factor.

Often local networks are gigabit (Gb) and are mostly just limited by the read/write speeds of the source and target locations.

When you go outside your local network there is a whole heap more stuff slowing things down!

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

run a internet speed test and see what speeds you are getting while doing this if you can change serves thats running the test change to different areas. are you useing cable as your isp if so more people home that shrinks your speed too as more and more people get on the cable. aslo reset your router and if you can log into it and see if the eithernet is the pirority some you can make the wifi pirority insted of etheirnet

8 hours ago, Loabzz said:

Both my Ethernet and my motherboard are rated for 1 Gigabyte, but for example Steam only downloads at about 10 MB even with no limit on. Other things are a bit faster, like Origin that downloads at 50 GB. Is this just a problem with me having bad internet?

Are you actually paying for 1 gbps download speed? Because if you aren't, then its nothing to be concerned about. Just having the set up that's capable of attaining it won't really matter because its based on the service level agreement you have with your service provider to start with. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Origin  and so on i have found are normally faster then steam. Second unless your paying for higher speeds that could very well be as fast as you can down load.

CPU - I9 10900 | CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H100x AIO | Motherboard -  Aorus B460 PRO AC | RAM -G.SKILL Ripjaw V series 4x8GB 2666MHZ | Graphics Card - Gigabyte RTX 3070  | Power Supply - Cooler Master 650w  | Storage -  Working on a new Spicy 

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

Did you limit your download speed in the settings menu in steam?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2020 at 4:55 PM, The_russian said:

What bandwidth are you paying for? You are limited to the slowest link so if you pay for 100mbps for example, you are limited by that, not the gigabit port on the motherboard.

My family has Verizon 5G wifi so it should be fast.

5 minutes ago, Loabzz said:

What speeds are you actually paying for? That doesn't give much information, that is like saying I use Comcast. 

1 hour ago, Loabzz said:

Please let us know what package / subscription / speed tier you're subscribed to, and run a speedtest using speedtest.net and fast.com using a wired connection directly to the modem, making sure you bypass all other networking gear and that no one else is heavily using the internet at the time.

Since you indicated the connection is being delivered over a Verizon Cellular modem (Verizon 5G), please also perform a speedtest using the Ookla Speedtest app on the most recent smartphone you have that's also using Verizon's cellular service. (Turn off WiFi to test cellular speeds.)

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 hour ago, The_russian said:

What speeds are you actually paying for? That doesn't give much information, that is like saying I use Comcast. 

So I just did an internet speed test and my download was 84 Mbps, and up load was 77 Mbps. That makes me think that its a problem with the steam and not my actual internet, but that wouldn't make sense because I have bandwidth usage on steam on no limit.

6 minutes ago, Loabzz said:

So I just did an internet speed test and my download was 84 Mbps, and up load was 77 Mbps. That makes me think that its a problem with the steam and not my actual internet, but that wouldn't make sense because I have bandwidth usage on steam on no limit.

That's actually the same as Steam as you said you were downloading at 10MB/s which is 80Mbit.

People are often caught out by the fact Steam reports in MB and bandwidth tests are Mbit.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

45 minutes ago, Loabzz said:

As Alex Atkin mentioned, Steam reports speeds in megabytes per second while internet speed is measured in megabits. A byte is 8 bits so you are getting the expected 80 megabits per second for Steam.