More Mantle Benchmarks. 290X beats 780 Ti With a 3970X @ 4.9Ghz. (32% boost on 1600p)

As is the tradition of GameGPU.ru, they benchmark the majority of games released & the DLC that's associated with big titles such as BF, Crysis & CoD.
Today they published their benchmarks for the Second Assault DLC for BF4 & also included Mantle results for various cards.

Two interesting points pop up immediately, firstly GCN 1.0 (7000 series, R9 280 series and below except  260X) cards don't show much performance gain if any as AMD has only optimized for GCN 1.1 (290, 290X, 260, 260X & 7790) in their latest Mantle drivers with support for GCN 1.0 to follow.

The second point is that even with an intel 3970X overclocked to a whopping 4.9Ghz, the 290X showed very healthy performance gains, especially in 2560x1440 which was quite surprising.
Performance went up 32% in 2560x1440 which allowed the 290X to overtake the 780 Ti.
In 1920x1080 Mantle showed a more modest 16% improvement which put the 290X & the 780 Ti on equal ground.

DX11 benchmarks
http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test

Mantle benchmarks

Sauce

That is going to happen in a game that a. supports mantle and b. is already AMD optimized.

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

That is going to happen in a game that a. supports mantle and b. is already AMD optimized.

BF4 doesn't favor neither Nvidia nor AMD, if you look at the DX11 benchmarks you'll find the 280X & the 770 performing exactly on par, similarly with the 290X & the 780 and the 660 compared to the 270.

I'd like a lot of people to adopt Mantle, but until it really takes hold I'm not holding my breath.

Personally I can't wait to see benchmarks of games that are build solely around the engine. That and SC.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Looks like at 1080p, the 780 Ti is still slightly higher.

EDIT: (Didn't want to leave such a short post) Still, it'll be nice to see where the performance for AMD cards settle when it's out of beta.

BF4 doesn't favor AMD, look at the damn benchmarks.
Both red and green are neck and neck at every single graphics tier.

You want to see AMD optimized... this is AMD optimized.
59481.png

BF4 doesn't favor neither Nvidia nor AMD, if you look at the DX11 benchmarks you'll find the 280X & the 770 performing exactly on par, similarly with the 290X & the 780 and the 660 compared to the 270.

This, this is just wrong. If it isn't AMD optimized, then why does AMD give it out with their GPU's?

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

This, this is just wrong. If it isn't AMD optimized, then why does AMD give it out with their GPU's?

That's silly. AMD used to give out huge bundles of games with their cards that weren't optimized specifically for them.

http://sites.amd.com/us/promo/never-settle/Pages/nsreloadedx.aspx

AMD is likely giving it out in promotion of Mantle.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

This sort of thing is common, Nvidia bundled Metro with its cards and it ran faster on AMD GPUs.

Similar thing happened with Crysis 3 it was bundled with AMD cards but ran faster on Nvidia.

There's only so much you can optimise a crap/poorly coded game.

Antec 1100 | Asus P8Z87-V | Silverstone Strider 850W 80+ Silver | Intel i5 3570k 4.3Ghz | Corsair h80 | Asus Xonar DGX | Sapphire HD 7850 1000 Mhz | 16 GB Patriot 1600MHz | Intel 330 180GB | OCZ Agility 3 60GB (Cache for HDD) | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Asus VE247H x2 | Ducky Shine 2 - Cherry MX Brown | Razer Deathadder 3.5G | Logitech G430

That's silly. AMD used to give out huge bundles of games with their cards that weren't optimized specifically for them.

http://sites.amd.com/us/promo/never-settle/Pages/nsreloadedx.aspx

AMD is likely giving it out in promotion of Mantle.

Well...

to make their cards more appealing to buyers that's all. AAA game developers optimize for both nvidia and AMD graphics, You can't afford to Ignore one.

Thief will come soon out and it will have Mantle support so lets see how Mantle will perform there.

RTX2070OC 

I really wish Nvidia would support it, really interested to see how much performance gains we might see on GeForce cards.

It would be awesome if they were to cross license stuff. AMD cards got G-Sync and PhysX,and Nvidia got TrueAudio and Mantle.

It would really help both teams because the adoption rate of those technologies would go through the roof.

That will probably never happen though...

It would be awesome if they were to cross license stuff. AMD cards got G-Sync and PhysX,and Nvidia got TrueAudio and Mantle.

It would really help both teams because the adoption rate of those technologies would go through the roof.

That will probably never happen though...

Imagine TrueAudio,PhysX,Mantle, and G-sync getting PC gaming standard :o

That would make PC gaming even more compelling.

And it would bring at the end more sales to both Nvidia and AMD.

RTX2070OC 

LOL @ Linus

A 1000$ CPU overclocked to 4.9 is "shoddy" I guess... ALL DAT UTUBES MUNNI !

He included "or" which in its usage was a modifier. So either a fancy new graphics card, or an apu/shoddy cpu

As is the tradition of GameGPU.ru, they benchmark the majority of games released & the DLC that's associated with big titles such as BF, Crysis & CoD.

Today they published their benchmarks for the Second Assault DLC for BF4 & also included Mantle results for various cards.

Two interesting points pop up immediately, firstly GCN 1.0 (7000 series, R9 280 series and below except  260X) cards don't show much performance gain if any as AMD has only optimized for GCN 1.1 (290, 290X, 260, 260X & 7790) in their latest Mantle drivers with support for GCN 1.0 to follow.

The second point is that even with an intel 3970X overclocked to a whopping 4.9Ghz, the 290X showed very healthy performance gains, especially in 2560x1440 which was quite surprising.

Performance went up 32% in 2560x1440 which allowed the 290X to overtake the 780 Ti.

In 1920x1080 Mantle showed a more modest 16% improvement which put the 290X & the 780 Ti on equal ground.

DX11 benchmarks

Mantle benchmarks

Sauce

Seeing that this is the same bogus website that had a 8350 = to an I5 in BF4 benchmarks, when official AMD benchmarks showed the I5 KILLED the 8350 prior to Mantle?

Sorry. No thanks. This is about as legit as Tek Syndicate.

GameGPU is a joke. People need to stop believing in astroturfing websites.  

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Isn't operation Metro in BF3 and not BF4?

It is in bf4 dlc second assault

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

Seeing that this is the same bogus website that had a 8350 = to an I5 in BF4 benchmarks, when official AMD benchmarks showed the I5 KILLED the 8350 prior to Mantle?

Sorry. No thanks. This is about as legit as Tek Syndicate.

GameGPU is a joke. People need to stop believing in astroturfing websites.  

290X is actually WAAY faster than GameGPU is showing, they only benchmarked operation Metro which only showed modest performance gains.

Other maps showed a 2X performance improvement.

TfahyIo.png

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Battlefield-4-PC-238749/Specials/Battlefield-4-Second-Assault-Benchmarks-1109970/?utm_source=youtube.com&utm_medium=socialPCGH&utm_campaign=computecsocial&utm_content=Battlefield-4-PC-238749SpecialsBattlefield-4-Second-Assault-Benchmarks-1109970

290X is actually WAAY faster than GameGPU is showing, they only benchmarked operation Metro which only showed modest performance gains.

Other maps showed a 2X performance improvement.

TfahyIo.png

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Battlefield-4-PC-238749/Specials/Battlefield-4-Second-Assault-Benchmarks-1109970/?utm_source=youtube.com&utm_medium=socialPCGH&utm_campaign=computecsocial&utm_content=Battlefield-4-PC-238749SpecialsBattlefield-4-Second-Assault-Benchmarks-1109970

Again, another site I could give a damn about. Show me something from a site like anandtech whose benchmarks I actually trust. I KNOW RussianGPU has lied in the past, now I am supposed to trust some German site, when a Polish site shows the 780 killing a r9 290?

http://pclab.pl/art55953-3.html

Even if the sites were accurate (which I have no way of knowing)? I could care less what a last gen I7 does at stock. The 780TI is being bottlenecked. 

Multiplayer is very hard to benchmark and results can vary greatly. RussianGPU claimed a 8350 was faster then a I5 Haswell before Mantle, so I KNOW they are full of it. Most laughable thing I have ever seen.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Again, another site I could give a damn about. Show me something from a site like anandtech whose benchmarks I actually trust. I KNOW RussianGPU has lied in the past, now I am supposed to trust some German site, when a Polish site shows the 780 killing a r9 290?

http://pclab.pl/art55953-3.html

Even if the sites were accurate (which I have no way of knowing)? I could care less what a last gen I7 does at stock. The 780TI is being bottlenecked. 

Multiplayer is very hard to benchmark and results can vary greatly. RussianGPU claimed a 8350 was faster then a I5 Haswell before Mantle, so I KNOW they are full of it. Most laughable thing I have ever seen.

pclab.pl have always posted biased reviews against AMD, it's a terrible website that spreads lies you should never trust it.

It always shows results which contradict all the other review sites.

Also, they benched a completely different map with an unknown number of players.

For all we know they could have benched an empty BF4 map.