AA Battery randomly exploded on me today

dilpickle

Today I was sitting in front of my computer when I hear a POP sound. It was not extremely loud. I also hear sort of a faint buzzing noise. I looked around to see what it was but couldn't find anything.

A couple of minutes later I hear the buzzing is coming from my wireless mouse. I open it up and notice that one of the two AA batteries is slightly wet. I now understand what happened. One of the batteries is leaking.

Keep in mind that at this point the mouse is still working. And the current batteries have been installed for weeks. I take out the batteries and wipe down the inside of the mouse and install new batteries. Working perfectly.

The mouse itself is almost 20 years old. Logitech Cordless MouseMan - the very first wireless optical mouse.

It's been thru countless batteries and I've never had any problems with it. It is still working after this too. The rest of the Energizer batteries in the same package have not had any issues either.

I've done some googling to try to find out what causes batteries to explode or leak but I don't see anything that matches what happened here.

Could very well just be a bad battery; no real biggie there. Just keep an eye on the batteries in your mouse and if it repeats, it's your mouse or the batteries. If it doesn't, well, just a fluke battery.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

14 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Today I was sitting in front of my computer when I hear a POP sound. It was not extremely loud. I also hear sort of a faint buzzing noise. I looked around to see what it was but couldn't find anything.

A couple of minutes later I hear the buzzing is coming from my wireless mouse. I open it up and notice that one of the two AA batteries is slightly wet. I now understand what happened. One of the batteries is leaking.

Keep in mind that at this point the mouse is still working. And the current batteries have been installed for weeks. I take out the batteries and wipe down the inside of the mouse and install new batteries. Working perfectly.

The mouse itself is almost 20 years old. Logitech Cordless MouseMan - the very first wireless optical mouse.

It's been thru countless batteries and I've never had any problems with it. It is still working after this too. The rest of the Energizer batteries in the same package have not had any issues either.

I've done some googling to try to find out what causes batteries to explode or leak but I don't see anything that matches what happened here.

Get in touch with Energizer directly. Include pictures of the battery and package (if you have it) so they can track down the batch. Then return the batteries if you can.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

As a kid I was playing my SNES and my TV caught fire and was still working... 

Thankfully we got it out before it left the TV.

My replacement was a tiny TV and I stopped gaming after a bit and played more sport for a few years.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

It's so weird they say new alkaline batteries cannot leak or catch on fire yet they still leak and apparently catch on fire.

34 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

It's so weird they say new alkaline batteries cannot leak or catch on fire yet they still leak and apparently catch on fire.

They can start a fire but I don’t think they can just ignite themselves. 

They don’t leak when built correctly but a faulty batch can leak. 

Likely just a Faulty battery. Reaction

just went too fast, created too much heat and popped maybe

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

6 hours ago, dilpickle said:

You might have got a defective battery, call the manufacturer of the battery to explain what happened, because if it happened to you, they'll want to know the lot number so they can investigate and/or recall any batteries that might have the same defects.

thankfully it's not a lithium battery that did this or you prob wouldn't have a mouse (or a hand) anymore

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Nobody's going to mention anything about using a 20 year old MouseMan?

Dude's a hero if you ask me. Who needs RGB when you've got FAT32, right?

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, dilpickle said:

Energizer is going to send me a $50 check for the mouse and $20 in battery coupons.

That's a pretty good outcome. :)

You were using one heck of an old mouse. The longest use I've ever gotten out of a mouse was about 8 years, on a non-gaming, web browsing machine. The scroll wheel got funky first and then the left mouse button became unreliable,

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, dilpickle said:

-snip-

Damn surprised you got this sorted rather quickly. Congrats. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580