i7 8550u why so trash?

i was searching in the web for comparisons and i7 8550u with 4ghz and 4 cores 8 threads has the same performance to an i5 6400 with 4 cores and much lower clock speed 

why is that?

1 minute ago, BardiaMGTGC said:

i was searching in the web for comparisons and i7 8550u with 4ghz and 4 cores 8 threads has the same performance to an i5 6400 with 4 cores and much lower clock speed 

why is that?

umm, where did you get this result from?

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

1 minute ago, Srijan Verma said:

umm, where did you get this result from?

userbenchmark and youtube

3 minutes ago, BardiaMGTGC said:

userbench isnt reliable. youtube is iffy (depends on the source)

ok, the explaination is pretty straight forward.
the 8550U is a U series processor which means its meant for Ultra low power consumption for maximum battery life, because of which it has a TDP for 25 which is quite low for the cpu to even sustain 4ghz under max load.
Also being a mobile CPU there are always trade offs like :lower bus speed,

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

3 minutes ago, Srijan Verma said:

ok, the explaination is pretty straight forward.
the 8550U is a U series processor which means its meant for Ultra low power consumption for maximum battery life, because of which it has a TDP for 25 which is quite low for the cpu to even sustain 4ghz under max load.

10-25W mattering on device.

9 minutes ago, BardiaMGTGC said:

userbenchmark sucks and should be destroyed.

who on youtube?

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Here is the comparison from PassMark. The i7-8550U being a mobile CPU is only slightly more powerful then the i5-6400 Desktop CPU but overall has a decent advantage in single threaded performance, which is important for most games of today and pretty much anything before 2017.

image.png.103c59798ca37aab7019e8bb59a3e6ad.png

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

10-25W mattering on device.

who on youtube?

different youtubers with 6400 and gtx1050 and 8550u and gtx1050 and compared (i searched for 1050 because most i7 8550u that i saw came with either mx150 or 1050)

1 minute ago, Applefreak said:

Here is the comparison from PassMark. The i7-8550U being a mobile CPU is only slightly more powerful then the i5-6400 Desktop CPU but overall has a decent advantage in single threaded performance, which is important for most games of today and pretty much anything before 2017.

image.png.103c59798ca37aab7019e8bb59a3e6ad.png

is 2 logical cores per physical same as hyper threading?

Yes, it's just the correct term. Hyper-Threading is Intel's trademarked Name to make it sound more exciting I guess.

I am not sure about the legitemacy of the benchmark itself. But if you're wondering why would an 8th gen i7-8550U (according to userbench) performs similar to a 6th gen i5-6400?

So, the i5-6400 is a desktop-class processor, while the i7-8550U is a ultrabook-class processor.

The i5-6400 is a 65W TDP CPU, while the i7-8550U is a 15W TDP CPU. Basically, althrough they have similar paper specs, the i5-6400 is fed more (like over 4x more) power than the i7-8550U.

So, the i7-8550U, althrough is a much newwer compared to the i5-6400, is being fed less than the i5, and that's why it (according to userbench) doesn't has much advantage against the i7-8550U.

But, how can the i7-8550U catch up with the i5-6400 with similar paper specs? The architecture and generation is different. The efficiency of the newer hardware shows us improvements as technology gets better.

26 minutes ago, BardiaMGTGC said:

different youtubers with 6400 and gtx1050 and 8550u and gtx1050 and compared (i searched for 1050 because most i7 8550u that i saw came with either mx150 or 1050)

desktop and mobile versions of the 1050 aren't the same ether.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

desktop and mobile versions of the 1050 aren't the same ether.

This is true. However it's somewhat close within 10-15 percent at the worst (most of which can be attributed more to thermals, CPU, and ram differences). Nvidia made a serious effort to have their desktop and mobile GPUs match in performance with the original 1000 series. This started going away some when they did the 1000 max-q series. Then they totally threw that idea out the window with the 2000 series to the point that a GTX 1080 GPU is still the second most powerful GPU over the RTX 2070 and RTX 2080 max Q. 

5 minutes ago, toasty99 said:

This is true. However it's somewhat close within 10-15 percent at the worst

before you get hit by a bad laptop that runs them at max temp.

mobile GPUs never have been named well. refresh on refresh on refresh. (I know my gt 635M was the 3rd name the same chip had had)

I am runing an i7 8550u and I am really not happy with it. I guess its peak performance is ok, but it throttles really fast, since the fans do not really ramp up and it being really picky about battery percentage. So I am not sure if this is about the CPU or my notebooks power management...

3 hours ago, lal12 said:

I am runing an i7 8550u and I am really not happy with it. I guess its peak performance is ok, but it throttles really fast, since the fans do not really ramp up and it being really picky about battery percentage. So I am not sure if this is about the CPU or my notebooks power management...

Hello, it looks like your laptop has a thermal heat issue.

This is very widely known in the notebook community that some notebooks just doesn't have sufficient cooling system, and hinders the full performance of the notebook components.

From your story, I think there are two things that you can do to get your temps a little bit cooler.

First, you can try to undervolt your CPU. There are many guides and tutorials on YouTube, and it can really shave off that high temps. Perhaps you can try to do it.

Second, you can try repasting your CPU. This is a bit more difficult since it is involving opening your notebook and unscrewing some of the components, and re-doing your thermal paste. Again, there are quite a lot of video on the internet about this procedure.

Warning! Do it at your own risk! The two solution I gave above might void your ongoing warranty! I do not take any responsibility on any damages that might be done by the procedures.

I have personally done Undervolting, which is far less risky than repasting. But, if you do have and confident of some experience in opening your laptop, re-pasting is a good solution too.

43 minutes ago, Azura Lightfeilt said:

Hello, it looks like your laptop has a thermal heat issue.

This is very widely known in the notebook community that some notebooks just doesn't have sufficient cooling system, and hinders the full performance of the notebook components.

It probably is an issue. However I think it is not the only one: the fan curve does not seem to be steep enough, since sometimes it speeds up enough mostly

it doesn't. Also the behavior on battery is very strange, you get less power even if it is at 100% and the fan suddenly speeds up when you are down to like 10-15% battery.

Unfortunately I did not quite found a solution on how to control the fan myself. I run Linux and I yet haven't found a way to interact with the fan. Either it is exclusively managed by the notebook firmware (even on Windows) or Linux just has no driver for this part.

Second, you can try repasting your CPU. This is a bit more difficult since it is involving opening your notebook and unscrewing some of the components, and re-doing your thermal paste. Again, there are quite a lot of video on the internet about this procedure.

Yeah should have done it when I installed a bigger RAM module. But I think opening this model lets suffer the case, so I think I try to avoid to open it too often.

First, you can try to undervolt your CPU. There are many guides and tutorials on YouTube, and it can really shave off that high temps. Perhaps you can try to do it.

Sounds like an option, I will probably look into this in the future.

Thanks!

My 8550U is on par with a desktop 4790K in the CPU-Z benchmark.  That is not so bad and definitely not trash.

https://i.imgur.com/gybEEUk.png

The benchmark scores you find on the internet are mostly from people that do not know how to get maximum performance out of this CPU.  On the right laptop, you can run them indefinitely at well beyond their 15 Watt TDP rating.  Just need to find a way to keep them cool. 

https://i.imgur.com/eo0J744.png

12 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

It's weighted towards 'typical consumer tasks'. https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Faq/What-is-the-effective-CPU-speed-index/55

Userbenchmark can have some useful numbers if you know what they mean but it's not the same as a passmark score, etc. and they should make it more clear. Use the site as an addition as opposed to a replacement to other sources. In the past, the main % comparison was listed under 'gaming performance' and was more specific but now it's more vague and listed under 'effective speed'. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.