4900HSlow - 4900HS laptop has a new competitor

rcmaehl
18 minutes ago, XMG Support said:

Nevertheless, we have to avoid that users who like to experiment drive their voltage converters and other components too hard at the limit in the long run and thus give us an increased RMA rate

Could go with something like the Kingpin GPUs where you agree to warranty void by applying the firmware, if possible password protect it with "I agree to void my warranty" as the password.

Wait... an AMD laptop chip is beaten by an AMD desktop chip.

*GASP!*

Are we so bored now that we're basically having AMD compete against itself? Has it already gotten to that point?

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

You guys know that these are just Clevo rebrands right

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

1 hour ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Considering XMG have said that themselves, yes. But it's not like XMG is doing nothing/no customization of the product.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 3/31/2020 at 9:41 AM, SavageNeo said:

Thermalthrottling intensifies

Won’t thermal throttle any more than mobile i9’s lmao

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

On 4/30/2020 at 10:21 PM, scuff gang said:

Won’t thermal throttle any more than mobile i9’s lmao

On that subject. Check out what Asus are doing for some idiotic reason. Black covers on the fan cut outs.

On 3/31/2020 at 6:43 PM, Konrad_K said:

Yes it is faster, but I'd say that calling this beast a "laptop" is a little far fetched. Yes, technically it is a laptop but it's way to big and to be comfortable to carry in a backpack and the battery life is most probably awful, and the large power adapter is probably as heavy as a modern thin and light. 

Actually, it's a bit smaller than my HP Probook 450 G5. Although 50% thicker and 25% heavier. But neither of that is a big deal IMO. I can fit the Probook into my backpack just fine and so the Apex will work as well.

As for battery life - the battery does seem a bit on the weak side (wish they would've chosen ~90 Wh over those ~60 - but I don't know how much that would've impacted the weight) but you can switch to a power saving profile (~28W) while on battery. The Asus TUF A15 for instance throttles a LOT more when on battery. Which... is of course a blessing and a curse, especially since you can't even choose to use a more powerful profile.

I guess XMG could choose to spread out their profiles even further to offer something similar. Although the problem then may be the dGPU. I haven't read anything about profiles for that and it seems to actually gobble up the most juice.

On 4/30/2020 at 6:06 AM, mrchow19910319 said:

Is there an argument here? It may not be the most professional company but hey, if the product works well (and so far, all benchmarks seem to indicate that it does) and Schenker/XMG provides good customer support (notebookcheck recently did a survey of ~1000 people and they won by a landslide), why not?

On 5/3/2020 at 9:52 PM, SomeEdward said:

Is there an argument here? It may not be the most professional company but hey

Hehe. This video and Youtube channel is probably not even by the original CLEVO CO. in Taiwan. Apparantly just reposting videos from this original Chinese review channel.

Besides this small Youtube channel, there are some other companies/resellers that use Clevo's trademark on their website besides not having any official affiliation with them (except a customer/supplier relationship). It's all fair and game... :)

Anyway, I'm so excited to see what Linus Tech Tips is going to do with our APEX 15.

• Best case: cool video, good entertainment, lots of clicks, ramp up in pre-orders and production, proof to Clevo that the project was worth it, start working on next years plans
  • Worst case: they might hate it, ridicule it, stop our momentum in its tracks and it will be forgotten by the same time next month

Place your bets NOW!

// Tom

On 5/2/2020 at 4:30 AM, 5x5 said:

On that subject. Check out what Asus are doing for some idiotic reason. Black covers on the fan cut outs.

I checked the video, they start talking about the fan cut outs at the 8:41 time mark.

This ususally happens when the chassis tooling is already set in stone before any serious thermal testing or simulation could be done. They probably covered the fan cutouts to allow airflow to spread more widely inside the chassis. This is done very often in high-end laptop designs. Sometimes single cutouts are strategically covered, sometimes only partially.

This is usually done to provide cooling to areas that don't have their own temperature sensor, with the large battery being one of them. So beware: removing the fan covers might improve your CPU/GPU temperatures but could provide harzardous for the overall system life. In the worst case you might risk battery overheating with all its consequences (bloating and worse).

(Speaking only from personal experience. I'm not affiliated with Asus or their manufacturer in any way.)

// Tom

While you wait for the LTT video, check out this new in-depth analysis of the performance profiles, fan behaviour and memory speed benefits from a satisfied customer of ours who ordered his XMG APEX 15 on Day 1:

The more interesting part of the analysis starts at mark 7:11, after the usual hands-on and Cinebench stuff got out of the way. Must-watch for anyone interested in buying this laptop. Show him some love!

(Also, he might upload more content regarding 3D printing in the future, in case anyone is interested.)

Cheers,

Tom

9 minutes ago, XMG Support said:

-snip-

Just FYI we don't actually allow advertising on the forum, for news topics linking to other videos that are not LTT while technically is against the Community Standards it is allowed if it directly adds to the news topic and information. We also assess what's being linked to make sure the forum isn't being used to push traffic to a Youtube channel or website that would abnormally benefit from it, basically that's why we allow videos of all the popular tech Youtubers as they don't really gain from it.

Your account profile is a safe harbor though so you can post customer video reviews like this on there and mention in a post here that you can find these reviews on your profile.

We also have an Industry Affiliate status that can be applied to accounts as required, these tend to be representatives of companies that will also stick around long term. You should check out the Industry Affiliate Code of Conduct even if you do not wish to apply for this as it's good to follow regardless if you have been assigned this or not and are representing a company.