So many... Help finding a 'decent' $150-$200 phone

Bender Blues
Go to solution Solved by Midzaya,

Most carriers do payment plans now a days. I'd honestly wait for the Pixel 4a, it may be around 400 dollars but it may serve you. I also read somewhere you can get a iPhone 7 or for a 100 dollars. It may be from ages ago but it still is a good phone in 2020. My dad still has his and LOVES it. 

I've googled, ya thats an endless rabbit hole with sites promoting phones rather than giving good opinions.

LTT Youtube, Linus talks about an $150 Alcatel but its from 2018.

I'm coming from a flip phone because thats all I've ever needed. But in 2020, its beyond annoying not being able to do the most basic things everyone else is doing.

I know I wont be getting much but, some good ideas on a phone in that 150-200 range?

Thank You.

** Here on the West Coast USA **

1 minute ago, NZgamer said:

Country and currency code?

Sorry. United States USD

6 minutes ago, NDBroughton said:

eyy I guessed correctly

Umm yeah, and your point is?

2 minutes ago, Bender Blues said:

Umm yeah, and your point is?

my point is that my guess on currency for my suggestion was correct, so this is within your budget...

18 minutes ago, NDBroughton said:

From my limited phone knowledge, the Motorola Moto G7 Play is probably about the best you'll get in that price range. Phones are unfortunately very expensive nowadays...

https://www.gsmarena.com/alcatel_3v-9004.php

4 hours ago, Bender Blues said:

I've googled, ya thats an endless rabbit hole with sites promoting phones rather than giving good opinions.

I'm coming from a flip phone because thats all I've ever needed. But in 2020, its beyond annoying not being able to do the most basic things everyone else is doing.

I know I wont be getting much but, some good ideas on a phone in that 150-200 range?

Thank You.

Would advise waiting and getting something at 350-400. You get a better value at that price 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

You can get a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 for around $200 to $250 on Ebay and it's an absolutely killer phone. Amazing cameras and display, I highly recommend it if you want to shell out a little more cash.

On 3/28/2020 at 11:49 PM, NZgamer said:

https://www.amazon.com/Nokia-6-1-Unlocked-Smartphone-T-Mobile/dp/B07LBPP4J9/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=nokia+5.1&qid=1585464114&sr=8-2

Nokia 6.1, right in your price range at USD$165.

I have a Nokia 3.1 myself and I love it so the Nokia 6.1 will be great too.

Looks great, thank you very much NZ! Price is right too. Cheers!

On 3/29/2020 at 3:41 AM, Lord Vile said:

Would advise waiting and getting something at 350-400. You get a better value at that price 

Easy for you to say.

In this global pandemic, where I've lost my job, you gonna float me the extra money?

11 hours ago, Bender Blues said:

Easy for you to say.

In this global pandemic, where I've lost my job, you gonna float me the extra money?

Would think food would be more a concern than a phone tbh. If you didn’t notice I said WAIT, not buy something you can’t afford now. 

I would go for the Redmi note 9 pro or if it's not available in your country yet you can go for the Redmi note 8 pro which is just as good 

Booth of these are really good for the money with good cameras and good SOC's 

15 hours ago, WolfieX said:

I would go for the Redmi note 9 pro or if it's not available in your country yet you can go for the Redmi note 8 pro which is just as good 

Booth of these are really good for the money with good cameras and good SOC's 

Both are great phones with the exception that the note 9s is fairly new and needs some software updates for like the camera app. But OP is from the US so i dont think xiaomi supports most bands.

Most carriers do payment plans now a days. I'd honestly wait for the Pixel 4a, it may be around 400 dollars but it may serve you. I also read somewhere you can get a iPhone 7 or for a 100 dollars. It may be from ages ago but it still is a good phone in 2020. My dad still has his and LOVES it. 

On 3/29/2020 at 9:35 AM, huilun02 said:

Carrier?

Carrier?

Carrier?

Do you have a 4g data plan?

How much data?

Verizon. Dont know about the data plan.

And @EL02

On 3/29/2020 at 9:49 AM, NZgamer said:

https://www.amazon.com/Nokia-6-1-Unlocked-Smartphone-T-Mobile/dp/B07LBPP4J9/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=nokia+5.1&qid=1585464114&sr=8-2

Nokia 6.1, right in your price range at USD$165.

I have a Nokia 3.1 myself and I love it so the Nokia 6.1 will be great too.

Does it work for Verizon? TY

On 4/3/2020 at 11:04 AM, Lord Vile said:

Would think food would be more a concern than a phone tbh. If you didn’t notice I said WAIT, not buy something you can’t afford now. 

No dude, I'm just fine thanks. You just randomly toss out a phone for $250 more. What part of $150-$200 do you not understand?

42 minutes ago, Bender Blues said:

No dude, I'm just fine thanks. You just randomly toss out a phone for $250 more. What part of $150-$200 do you not understand?

Understand that but phones in the prove band are a waste of money 

1 hour ago, Bender Blues said:

Does it work for Verizon? TY

It supports most bands,but you might fall back to 3g on some areas.

1 hour ago, NZgamer said:

"dated bezel design" The bezels aren't that big, and the new notch design is just fucking stupid. Not to mention 32gb is plenty of space.

The bezels are stupidly big and 32gb is pretty meh.

I would suggest something like a samsung s8 or LG V35.

Screenshot_20200411-101339.png

I had no idea you could buy a new phone for 150. I don’t think I’d sell my old iPhone 7 for that much.

Pretty cool though. Since becoming a member here I’ve learned quite a bit about phones. We don’t have the same choice here in Canada the rest of the world has..

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

On 3/29/2020 at 8:14 AM, Bender Blues said:

Thank You.

Check out the "new" Xiaomi Redmi Note 9s.

It's the 2020 Midrange device, after pretty much all other models (which are still VERY good devices) are 2019 models.
Meaning: Longest updates, because it's new.

Specs are very fine, however it started with slightly above 200.

Still: 20 bucks more for 128gb / 6gb Ram are worth it, over 64gb / 4gb Ram, Storage is UFS 2.1, which is rare in that Price range.

The 5000 mAh Battery with a efficient Snapdragon 720 will give you an extraordinary good Battery Life.

But it's not the smallest device.

Value on these 180-350 € Xiaomi phones is extremely good, and in my Opinion the best Value you can get on a Smartphone. More expensive phones have some extras, more performance, but these 200€ phones already do everyday tasks pretty well for years, and for MOST people.

Sadly, you don't get NFC, and only IPS instead of Oled.
And obvious High End specs are missing like official IP-rating or Wireless Charging.

But that's one of a few Midrange phones coming (like MI 10 Lite etc) which will feature NFC.

Also, the Note 9s will probably get an international Version with NFC; just like Note 8 -> Note 8T.

Also, depending where you live, the Note 8 Pro is strong.
Xiaomi started his official Online Store in Germany, and the Note 8 Pro is discounted to 190€ for the 64gb version, and 236€ for the 128gb Version.

If you can get that for <200€, it's an incredible good Value, since it also has NFC.

Also only IPS. But quite a good performance and Camera for that Price.

9 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

It's the 2020 Midrange device, after pretty much all other models (which are still VERY good devices) are 2019 models.

Still: 20 bucks more for 128gb / 6gb Ram are worth it, over 64gb / 4gb Ram, Storage is UFS 2.1, which is rare in that Price range.

The 5000 mAh Battery with a efficient Snapdragon 720 will give you an extraordinary good Battery Life.

Value on these 180-350 € Xiaomi phones is extremely good, and in my Opinion the best Value you can get on a Smartphone. More expensive phones have some extras, more performance, but these 200€ phones already do everyday tasks pretty well for years, and for MOST people.

And obvious High End specs are missing like official IP-rating or Wireless Charging.

But that's one of a few Midrange phones coming (like MI 10 Lite etc) which will feature NFC.

Also, the Note 9s will probably get an international Version with NFC; just like Note 8 -> Note 8T.

Xiaomi started his official Online Store in Germany, and the Note 8 Pro is discounted to 190€ for the 64gb version, and 236€ for the 128gb Version.

If you can get that for <200€, it's an incredible good Value, since it also has NFC.

Can get a used iPhone 8 for £200-250

*** Thread cleaned ***

Once again. Point of replying is to help OP to spend their money in most efficient way. If you don't want that, don't post. You are welcome to reply if you have good reasons for suggesting something, but keep in mind what are the requirements set by OP. Any personal attacks or going on arguing about stuff which is only loosely related will get removed.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 2 weeks later...

Well, thank you to everyone that provided some ideas. @Lord Vile @Darkseth @freeagent @NZgamer @EL02

But I think I found the gem, for $200. Its the Infinix Note7 recently touted on unbox therapy. (But I can't tell if you can buy this damn thing yet) 7" display, 48mp, 360nits, 1080p, finger and face recognition and so on.

IS this phone in the USA or will it be? I can't tell if Im wasting my time.

Unbox Therapy: (why wont it post the video to see?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UjlXycd9do

spacer.png

On 4/12/2020 at 2:37 PM, Darkseth said:

TY. Looking now on Amazon, not seeing any "Xiaomi Redmi Note 9's". I see plenty of S8's and 7's. 

Id be willing to spend $230, thats my cap.

I see this one too, any ideas?https://www.amazon.com/Xiaomi-Redmi-Factory-Unlocked-Smartphone/dp/B07Y8YWTFL/

Will that work with Verizon?