So many... Help finding a 'decent' $150-$200 phone

Bender Blues
Go to solution Solved by Midzaya,

Most carriers do payment plans now a days. I'd honestly wait for the Pixel 4a, it may be around 400 dollars but it may serve you. I also read somewhere you can get a iPhone 7 or for a 100 dollars. It may be from ages ago but it still is a good phone in 2020. My dad still has his and LOVES it. 

BTW: writing to say that I've been told that Infinix Note 7 doesn't even work in the USA 😠

** Here on the West Coast USA **

1 hour ago, Bender Blues said:

BTW: writing to say that I've been told that Infinix Note 7 doesn't even work in the USA 😠

To be fair a 1080p screen at 7” isn’t great. Facial recognition wouldn’t be like FaceID stuff it‘ll be the stuff that’s easy to fool. 360 nits isn’t great, megapixels mean nothing and what SoC is it? You can’t just read a list of specs and not look at the context behind them I’d you get me? 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

4 hours ago, Bender Blues said:

TY. Looking now on Amazon, not seeing any "Xiaomi Redmi Note 9's". I see plenty of S8's and 7's. 

Id be willing to spend $230, thats my cap.

I see this one too, any ideas?https://www.amazon.com/Xiaomi-Redmi-Factory-Unlocked-Smartphone/dp/B07Y8YWTFL/

Will that work with Verizon?

Yes, the Note 8 Pro is still a good deal for that price.
it does offer a bit more performance, and a slightly better Camera too (And even GCam works).

But i have no idea if it works on Verizon, since i'm not from US, and US' Carrier System is quite different. Here in Germany, you can literaly use every single phone with every single carrier, no matter where you bought it from (unless it's a chinese import where an LTE Band is missing a carrier uses. Then you simply might not have LTE somewhere).

I suggest to browse the Comment section to see if the LTE Bands from your carrier are available

If Xiaomi phones do have problems over there, then i would switch over to Motorola G-series  (G8 is the current generation), or a modern Nokia, or Samsung.

Honestly I've never heard of that brand, its not available here, and if it is, I wouldn't know where. I'm by no means a phone expert.. I like iPhones, and don't like old android phones lol. They just feel so clunky, and cheap, and just kind of yuck. But keep in mind, I got my first phone in 2012, and they have all been iPhones.. so I may be a bit biased. I hope you find what you are looking for though, before I became a member here, I had no idea all these cheap phones existed, so its kind of neat.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

6 hours ago, Darkseth said:

Yes, the Note 8 Pro is still a good deal for that price.
it does offer a bit more performance, and a slightly better Camera too (And even GCam works).

But i have no idea if it works on Verizon, since i'm not from US, and US' Carrier System is quite different. Here in Germany, you can literaly use every single phone with every single carrier, no matter where you bought it from (unless it's a chinese import where an LTE Band is missing a carrier uses. Then you simply might not have LTE somewhere).

I suggest to browse the Comment section to see if the LTE Bands from your carrier are available

If Xiaomi phones do have problems over there, then i would switch over to Motorola G-series  (G8 is the current generation), or a modern Nokia, or Samsung.

I think Im just gonna call Verizon and ask if the damn xiaomi redmi note 8 pro works with them.

17 minutes ago, Bender Blues said:

I think Im just gonna call Verizon and ask if the damn xiaomi redmi note 8 pro works with them.

AND......... it doesn't 🤬

The Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro 64GB, 6GB RAM 6.53" LTE GSM wont work. It needs to be GSM/CDMA

why did I even bother trying to go down this friggin road

2 hours ago, Bender Blues said:

The Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro 64GB, 6GB RAM 6.53" LTE GSM wont work. It needs to be GSM/CDMA

Honestly would wait try for something a bit higher up like a Pixel 4a or even an iPhone SE which is a pretty good deal atm. Should be some decent contracts on. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

12 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

To be fair a 1080p screen at 7” isn’t great. Facial recognition wouldn’t be like FaceID stuff it‘ll be the stuff that’s easy to fool. 360 nits isn’t great, megapixels mean nothing and what SoC is it? You can’t just read a list of specs and not look at the context behind them I’d you get me? 

The screen is 720 x 1650. So well below 1080P      .

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

12 hours ago, Bender Blues said:

hmmm...the only device i can think about at that price range and that supposedly should work on verizon is the LG G8.

2 hours ago, EL02 said:

hmmm...the only device i can think about at that price range and that supposedly should work on verizon is the LG G8.

Im looking at the Verizon Samsung S8 (unlocked) used for $200-$220. 

I've known PC's in and out for over 3 decades but no jack about a phone.

So what do I do with a used S8 in mint shape, similar to wiping and reinstalling an OS on a PC? Is there some factory reset that wont brick the thing?

2 hours ago, zeeshan_sid said:

Go with Iphone 7 

Any reason for that?

13 hours ago, Bender Blues said:

Im looking at the Verizon Samsung S8 (unlocked) used for $200-$220. 

I've known PC's in and out for over 3 decades but no jack about a phone.

So what do I do with a used S8 in mint shape, similar to wiping and reinstalling an OS on a PC? Is there some factory reset that wont brick the thing?

Keep in mind that you might have to replace the battery since it is used which will add up to the total cost.

Yeah..i mean it still performs pretty good, but even a sd730g would beat it.

There's a factory reset option which will delete all the data from the device, which the seller will probably do that before delivery.

@EL02 OK, on the reset, do I need to reinstall anything or will that be done automatically? 

Now I see a Note 8 for $300 thats in near perfect shape. I also see the Moto G7 new for $200......

MY NEW LIMIT is $300 - So what does anyone recommend?