Network Switch

Coopermar

I just upgraded my internet to 1gig down and ran an ethernet from my router to my pc. I would like to hook up my xbox to ethernet aswell. Instead of running another cable, it makes sense to buy a switch. My speed is 1gig down and 40 up. What switches would you suggest? I have heard that netgear and tp link are good. I don't really want to spend more than $30.

Here are some I have been considering:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Internet-Splitter/dp/B00KFD0SYK/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=network%2Bswitch&qid=1585457709&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&sr=8-6&th=1

amazon.com/gp/product/B00A128S24/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1&tag=linus21-20

So long as the switch you pick is 10/100/1000mbps and isn't a hub it will do the job fine.

2 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

...and isn't a hub it will do the job fine.

Hehe! You're showing your age! I remember those, too.

5 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Hehe! You're showing your age! I remember those, too.

Last I checked they're still manufactured and sold in stores. I don't know why. They do still have their uses though in niche applications.

3 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Last I checked they're still manufactured and sold in stores. I don't know why. They do still have their uses though in niche applications.

For some time now I have been contracted for networking for a company which implements building automation hard- and software. Many of the network components I had to work with were only using broadcast packets when talking to other components.

When you have a network full of those components and said devices are intolerant to even minimal delays of packet distribution as well, it makes more sense to use a networking device like a hub than a switch which would still have to process each packet's MAC.

6 hours ago, RTIK said:

For some time now I have been contracted for networking for a company which implements building automation hard- and software. Many of the network components I had to work with were only using broadcast packets when talking to other components.

When you have a network full of those components and said devices are intolerant to even minimal delays of packet distribution as well, it makes more sense to use a networking device like a hub than a switch which would still have to process each packet's MAC.

Another reason why the still exist that I wasn't aware of.