650W or 750W

HellTheCRoss

Is 650W enough for an i9 9900k OC and rtx 2080 super OC? Or should i go with a 750W? I'm also open for suggestions.

650 Watts.

I've seen people with a 330watt PSU and a Core i7-4790K @5Ghz with an RTX 2080 running at Full Load.

I believe 650 watts is fine, but personally I would get 750 watts because its more future proofing for upgrades that might require more power.

PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 8GB

Storage: WD Blue 1TB HDD, WD Blue 500GB SSD

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken m22 AIO Cooler

RAM: 16GB 2666MHz HyperX Fury

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B450M DS3H

Case: Phanteks P400

PSU: EVGA 450BV

Your 100% Right for Future-Proofing but I mean having 8 cores and 16 threads at 4.5Ghz with an RTX 2080 Super OC?

3 minutes ago, HellTheCRoss said:

Is 650W enough for an i9 9900k OC and rtx 2080 super OC? Or should i go with a 750W? I'm also open for suggestions.

A really good 650W would work if you weren't overclocking, so I would recommend 750W if you're planning to overclock.

Basically at 'stock' (of course the is MCE and GPU boost into play) these parts will pull 250W each (at full load) + about 100W for the rest of the system leaves you at 600W.

I would get a Tier A+ or better

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

18 minutes ago, HellTheCRoss said:

How much difference in cost would be the 650 watt verses the 750 watt model that you are comparing, if the difference is not that significant, I would go for the 750 watt in case you change your computer components later on?

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

650W is more than enough. PSU estimators always over exaggerate by a lot, but there is nothing wrong with a 750W unit just make sure you get a quality PSU. Refer to this list when making your decision:

I recommend Tier A or higher for a build like yours. Something like the Corsair RM/RMx is a great option.

For reference my system with an R7 3800x and OC'd GTX 1080 Ti, with tons of SSD's+HDD's, and tons of fans has never pulled more than 450W from the wall. 

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  A Dive Into Custom Keyboards & Mechanical Switches

NEWCOMERS Remember to ' Reply ' to comments in order for people to see them, this is done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Blueberry Pi  R9 3950X  Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x16GB 3200MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA P2 850W w/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  2x Corsair Force MP510 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower  

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW  Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW  Custom TOFU96  Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB 

Work Rig  ThreadRipper 3970X  Asus Prime TRX40 Pro ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 8x32GB 3200Mhz CL16  Nvidia Quadro RTX 6000 24GB  Corsair HXi 1000W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO  8x Sabrent Rocket 2TB w/ 2x Asus Hyper m.2 V2   Arctic P12 Fans  Phanteks P400A ATX Mid Tower 

Plotting Machine 1  ThreadRipper 2990WX  AsRock X399 Taichi ATX  Kingston HyperX Fury 8x16GB 2666Mhz CL18   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RMx 850W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO ‖ 2x Sabrent Rocket 2TB & 2x Sabrent Rocket 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Arctic P12 Fans  Rosewill RSV-L4500 4U  5x Dell DS60 60-bay JBOD w/ 1.2PB of HDD Storage  HP 22U Half Rack

Plotting Machine 2  R9 3950X  Asus TUF X570-Plus Wi-Fi ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 4x16GB 3200Mhz CL16   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RM 650W  Noctua NH-D15s Chormax ‖ 4x Corsair MP600 Force 1TB W/ Asus Hyper m.2 Gen4  Arctic P14 & P12 Fans  Silverstone FARA R1 ATX Mid Tower

J.A.R.V.I.S.  R9 3900XT  Asus B550-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX 8GB  Corsair SF 750W Platinum  Corsair H100i Pro AIO  Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax Fans  FormD T1 SFF ITX Case  

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS HDR TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless

Archive Server  R3 2200G  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 White  Vega Integrated Graphics  EVGA P2 750W  Prism Wraith Cooler  ITX Open Bench  2x HP SAS Expander  LSI-SAS9211  220TB of HDD Storage

SFF ITX Home PC  i5-7500  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 SFF ITX Case (Grey)  

Laptop  Dell XPS13 2-in-1 7390 (2020)  i7-1065G7  32GB 3733MHz LPDDR4x  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Keyboard Collection  GMMK Full Size  TOFU96 90%  ‖ KBD8x MKII TKL ‖ Drop CTRL High Profile TKL ‖ KBD Bella 75% ‖ GMMK Pro 75% ‖ XD84 Pro 75%  KBD67 V2 MKII 65%  KBD67Lite 65%  TOFU65 65%  KBD Blade 60%  Drop Carina 60%  Southpaw75 60% w/ Left Numpad  OLKB Preonic V3 Ortholinear ‖ CosPad XD24  ‖ KBDPad MKII

Key Cap Collection  GMK Boba Fett  GMK Red Samurai  GMK Laser CyberDeck +Novalties  GMK Arch  MaxKey B&W  Drop MT3 Camillo ‖ Matt3o MT3 /dev/tty  KBDfans Biip Torii Ext-2048  ePBT Less But Better +Novalties  EnjoyPBT Dolch  WinMix Mustard  Drop Skylight Horizon & Slate ‖ Glorious Black Aura   

Mechanical Key Switch Collection  Zealios V2 65g  Zealios V2 78g ‖ Zilents V2 67g  Tealios V2 67g  C³ Kiwi ‖ C³ Tangerine  Invyr Holy Panda  Durock T1 67g  Kailh Box Thick Jades ‖ Kailh Box Royal ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Dark Yellow ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Burnt Orange  Kailh Box White  Kailh Box Red  Kailh Pro Purple  Kailh Pro Burgandy  Gateron Ink Black V2  Gateron Black  Gateron Yellow  Gateron Brown  Gateron Green  Gateron Blue ‖ Cherry MX Black ‖ Cherry MX Brown ‖ Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, Boomwebsearch said:

How much difference in cost would be the 650 watt verses the 750 watt model that you are comparing, if the difference is not that significant, I would go for the 750 watt in case you change your computer components later on?

Where i live, the difference is like 30€ and no, i’m not gonna change my parts for at least 5 years or so, and that’s why i want a good quality psu.

3 minutes ago, HellTheCRoss said:

Where i live, the difference is like 30€ and no, i’m not gonna change my parts for at least 5 years or so, and that’s why i want a good quality psu.

Going for a higher wattage PSU does not mean that you have to sacrifice on the quality of the power supply, usually better quality components are found on higher wattage models of power supplies, although this is not always the case. Could you please include the model of the 650 watt PSU and the model of the 750 watt PSU which you are comparing?

@Boomwebsearch 

50 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Going for a higher wattage PSU does not mean that you have to sacrifice on the quality of the power supply, usually better quality components are found on higher wattage models of power supplies, although this is not always the case. Could you please include the model of the 650 watt PSU and the model of the 750 watt PSU which you are comparing?

Corsair rm650i vs be quiet! straight power 11 750W platinum

36 minutes ago, HellTheCRoss said:

I would go for the Be Quiet Straight Power 11 750 watt Platinum Rated PSU rather than the Corsair RM650i Gold Rated PSU.The Be Quiet Straight Power 11 750 watt should last you through many builds and features better design/technology such as a wire-free design inside of the PSU and Be Quiet's Silent Wings 3 Fan integrated with a funnel-shaped fan opening to provide better cooling for the internal components. The Be Quiet Straight Power 11 750 watt is also able to achieve the Platinum rating for higher efficiency than the Corsair's lower Gold rating for the RM650i.

ImageServer.php?ID=e42eca11770@be-quiet.

@Boomwebsearch 

8 hours ago, Boomwebsearch said:

usually better quality components are found on higher wattage models of power supplies, although this is not always the case

That's never the case. Wattage and\or efficiency certification are no indicators of quality.

wire-free design

That's practically a must have for all high-end PSU, you'll have a hard time seeing any high-current wires in most modern PSUs. Not only be quiet! \ FSP thing, Corsair RM\RMx\RMi are wire-free too.

8 hours ago, HellTheCRoss said:

You don't need such high-end stuff, settle down on smth cheaper, you can use that tier list linked above or give me some links for your local online stores, i'll see what's in there.

Speaking of wattage, if it's purely gaming machine, even 550W would be enough. If it's for rendering and such 650W are good but depending on model may be a bit noisy, if you care about that then go for 750W.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

7 hours ago, Juular said:

That's never the case. Wattage and\or efficiency certification are no indicators of quality.

If you are going with a reputable manufacturer for the PSU, the higher wattages are found with their higher-end PSU lineups, typically featuring better quality components, although as I have stated, it is an extremely general rule and not always going to be true. Platinum PSUs will usually have better quality components than a Bronze or Gold certified 80 Plus model because the higher-quality components/design is needed for providing higher power regulation, power efficiency, etc (this is a general rule, not always going to be the case).

8 hours ago, Juular said:

That's practically a must have for all high-end PSU, you'll have a hard time seeing any high-current wires in most modern PSUs. Not only be quiet! \ FSP thing, Corsair RM\RMx\RMi are wire-free too.

Be Quiet is being a lot more transparent about how they build their Be Quiet Straight Power 11 than Corsair and their RM650i upon initial inspection of their product pages. Corsair does not state specifics about their cooling solution for the RM650i, while Be Quiet states information about their design choices and cooling fan combination for better airflow and reduced noise. The Platinum certification on the Be Quiet Straight Power 11 750 watt shows at least 90 percent efficiency at 20 percent load, 92 percent efficiency at 50 percent load, and 89 percent efficiency at full load. The Gold certification on the Corsair RMI650i show at least 87 percent efficiency at 20 percent load, 90 percent efficiency at 50 percent load, and 87 percent efficiency at full load. You are going to pull less electricity from the wall and waste less energy as heat with a Platinum Certified PSU compared to a Gold Certified PSU.

You don't need such high-end stuff, settle down on smth cheaper

Speaking of wattage, if it's purely gaming machine, even 550W would be enough. If it's for rendering and such 650W are good but depending on model may be a bit noisy, if you care about that then go for 750W.

17 hours ago, HellTheCRoss said:

I would recommend getting a higher wattage for the long term, it gives you more flexibility to change components out if needed, and as PSUs age over time, they can't supply as much wattage as they used to be able to (wear and tear with use/time). I would recommend getting the Be Quiet Straight Power 11 750 watt as an investment for the long term, although if it is too expensive for your budget at the moment and/or you plan on getting a new one when switching to another system in the future, the RM650i should be sufficient.

@Boomwebsearch 

If you are going with a reputable manufacturer for the PSU, the higher wattages are found with their higher-end PSU lineups, typically featuring better quality components, although as I have stated, it is an extremely general rule and not always going to be true. Platinum PSUs will usually have better quality components than a Bronze or Gold certified 80 Plus model because the higher-quality components/design is needed for providing higher power regulation, power efficiency, etc (this is a general rule, not always going to be the case).

If both are generalization then you shouldn't base your choices at this at all. Look at performance, quality, reviews of each unit in question. There are multiple instances when higher-wattage units in the same lineup are actually worse performing and when Bronze\Gold units are better than Platinum\Titanium ones.

Be Quiet is being a lot more transparent about how they build their Be Quiet Straight Power 11 than Corsair and their RM650i upon initial inspection of their product pages. Corsair does not state specifics about their cooling solution for the RM650i, while Be Quiet states information about their design choices and cooling fan combination for better airflow and reduced noise.

Sure, look at some reviews and paint a picture for Corsair PSUs yourself. This is all marketing anyway, don't base your choices on 'transparent' information on product page, judge by reviews. And again, if we speak about be quiet! Straight Power 11 vs Corsair RM series, they're pretty much on par, with the same very high build quality and design choices, modern high-end PSU design choices are pretty much universally the same. FSP, CWT, Seasonic, Andyson, HEC, Enhance, High Power, Super Flower, all these OEMs have very good units among in their product stack with pretty much the same quality and performance level (even though some of them have pretty low-end stuff too).

The Platinum certification on the Be Quiet Straight Power 11 750 watt shows at least 90 percent efficiency at 20 percent load, 92 percent efficiency at 50 percent load, and 89 percent efficiency at full load. The Gold certification on the Corsair RMI650i show at least 87 percent efficiency at 20 percent load, 90 percent efficiency at 50 percent load, and 87 percent efficiency at full load. You are going to pull less electricity from the wall and waste less energy as heat with a Platinum Certified PSU compared to a Gold Certified PSU.

This is not going to make any noticeable difference. Don't base your choice on efficiency certification.

I would recommend getting a higher wattage for the long term, it gives you more flexibility to change components out if needed

And again, if this is gaming machine then 550W would be enough, with a lot of headroom, assuming you get a high-quality PSU to start with. If your usecases include high load on CPU and GPU simultaneously, i.e hybrid rendering for example, then yeah, 300W power draw on 9900KS plus another 300W power draw on RTX2080Ti and some 100W for other components whatever you have there makes for 700W unit minimum, 800W if you have high-end TR4. And around 1000-1200W if you plan to go for multi-GPU.

and as PSUs age over time, they can't supply as much wattage as they used to be able to (wear and tear with use/time)

That's not true. PSUs either work or don't. Pretty much the only things that age in PSUs are capacitors and fans, everything else if fails - does that randomly or for reasons not related to load level. If anything, sudden changes in load level, i.e transients matter a lot more.

I would recommend getting the Be Quiet Straight Power 11 750 watt as an investment for the long term, although if it is too expensive for your budget at the moment and/or you plan on getting a new one when switching to another system in the future, the RM650i should be sufficient.

Thankfully, options for high-end high-quality PSUs aren't limited to those two.

@HellTheCRoss if you want to receive advice on choosing a PSU - at least tell where are you from and what's your budget, better provide links to the stores you plan to buy from. Otherwise this is pointless discussion.

3 hours ago, Juular said:

Thankfully, options for high-end high-quality PSUs aren't limited to those two.

@HellTheCRoss if you want to receive advice on choosing a PSU - at least tell where are you from and what's your budget, better provide links to the stores you plan to buy from. Otherwise this is pointless discussion.

I live in Romania and i use a site called compari.ro to find prices across all the retailers i have in my country. My budget is 2000 euro for the hole PC. I'm pretty much gaming all the time and in the near future i'll do some video editing too. Basically I just want to get the most future proofing parts so i won't need to change anything for at least 5+ years.

46 minutes ago, HellTheCRoss said:

Basically I just want to get the most future proofing parts so i won't need to change anything for at least 5+ years.

The site won't load on my computer, so I unfortunately would not be able to use it to give you recommendations on parts specific available to your area and their costs. I would highly recommend investing on a good 750 watt or higher PSU model (the Be Quiet Straight Power 11 750 watt would be good or something similar). When you get farther into video editing software, you really will want at minimum a 750 watt PSU, since you may be running multiple high-power draw graphics cards.

@Boomwebsearch 

10 hours ago, HellTheCRoss said:

I'm pretty much gaming all the time and in the near future i'll do some video editing too.

Yeah, in this case 650W would be more appropriate than 550W, maybe even 750W if you want PSU to be quieter under load. Here's your options :

Cougar GX-F 650W, 388 RON - very good PSU despite relatively unknown brand

SilentiumPC Supremo FM2 750W, 420 RON - very good too, higher wattage, fully modular

XFX XTR2 750W, 440 RON - somewhat better quality-wise than previous one but the thing is that XFX doesn't sell them anymore so there may be problems with warranty

Bitfenix Formula 750W, 480 RON - very good option but semi-modular

Cougar GX-F 750W, 480 RON - 750W version, still very good option

Riotoro Enigma G2 750W, 492 RON - somewhat better quality-wise than previous one

Overall, personally i'd stop on first two options but if you're uncomfortable with these relatively unknown brands then go for Bitfenix or Riotoro (which is made by Seasonic).