Do you shut down your PC each night?

TearGod

My main system is off when it isn’t in use. My NAS/Plex server is on 24/7.

I never restart my gaming machine. My only concern is if my pump goes out, but so far it hasn't happened.

I usually put my pc to sleep at night unless I'm doing something specific like downloading something big or backing up my hdd.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

Unless im leaving for more then a day my pc stays on 24/7.

Outside of a restart for a driver/update its been months sinces its been cut off.

Sure it "wastes" power but not enough for me to care. 

My main computer is a laptop so most nights I just put it to sleep but once or twice a week I shut it down. I use my desktop as a server for various things so I keep that on 24/7.

Space is pretty awesome.

On 3/22/2020 at 2:22 PM, 5x5 said:

If setting down was bad for the components, why does every device come with that option? It's usually a good idea to shut down, let updated roll, let the OS restart and not push current through the transistors 24/7

Yes and no. Depends on the workload and the device. Tiny 5w laptop with passive cooling that puts itself to sleep/dormant standing? No need to turn off.

Massive super rig that you are going off for 5 mins to make a cup of tea? Leave it on for those 5 mins.

But most devices will be ok powering on/off once or twice a day. Most fans/cooling systems have lifetimes, and as long as you keep within that, you will be ok.

5 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

Unless im leaving for more then a day my pc stays on 24/7.

Outside of a restart for a driver/update its been months sinces its been cut off.

Sure it "wastes" power but not enough for me to care. 

And most psu's are efficient these days where power waste is negligible

I was once told by a retired engineer from a major electronics company that one way they accelerated degradation in research and development is constant power/heat cycles. Start the device up, load it heavily for a few minutes to get it hot, shut it down for a few minutes to cool off, repeat over and over again. He said that produced failures much quicker than running the device under maximum load continuously. Most people aren't going to power cycle their system dozens or hundreds of times a day , but the fact that companies accelerate wear on their products by power cycling them tells me that it's probably not good for their longevity. 

2 minutes ago, Caroline said:

I cut the power to everything except for the fridge. Not because I 100% care about the planet and global warming but because I live in the third world and power delivery is deficient with constant brownouts and surges.

That sucks, sorry to hear that. I would suggest that you get a good UPS to plug your computer and other expensive equipment like your monitor into if you don't already have one to keep clean up the power. If you can't afford a UPS at least get a good surge protector! 

A mate of mine has a computer that randomly turns itself on. It's the weirdest thing.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

1 hour ago, YellowJersey said:

A mate of mine has a computer that randomly turns itself on. It's the weirdest thing.

Maybe the power button is messed up?

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

That'd be ideal but there are only chinese or low end UPS around. I have a bunch but none of them works as UPS anymore because their batteries started leaking so I had to bypass some circuits here and there and now they serve as stabilizers or simple protectors (their only protection are MOVs and a fuse) it's not much but it's better than nothing.

PC has its own breaker and fuse

Glad to hear you have some protection. If you have access to Amazon or eBay or something similar where you live you could probably find replacement batteries for your UPS units pretty cheap, but they should still function as basic surge protectors without them. 

Work computer yes during the week, because I don't want to open everything up every time I sit down. My home computer gets turned off since I mostly game on it.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

I always shut it down before bed and before going to work.

I usually just leave mine on and shut it off on occasion...now more than ever since I'm running BOINC and F@H.  I used to just leave the system on for months without rebooting when I ran Win 2k.

I wouldnt keep a desktop PC running 24/7 because of electricity bills.

In the few laptops I owned for the past few years (2HP laptops and 1 Dell), I did put them in sleep mode every night and didnt shutdown. In 1 HP laptop and in the Dell which was running Windows 10, I noticed the OS to be a bit glitchy when I used it without a shutdown/restart. Because of this, now I shutdown every night. 

The one HP laptop that was running Windows 7 worked fine as far as I remember without any shutdowns. 

Before Sunday's LTT video?  My computer spent most of its life off.  I'd turn it on to do what needed doing and turn it off when I was done.  Now I've got it folding. 

I have a little pc in my bedroom (that ironically has a more powerful CPU than my main) that I leave on just so I don't have to turn it on before going to bed (I'm one of those deranged individuals who needs the TV running to get to sleep).  Once I get a decent cooler for it I'll enlist it into the folding cause as well.  Tried it with my cheap cooler and the CPU immediately hit 95 degrees.  Hard pass on that! :) 

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

I'm a serious IRl and digital hoarder. i'm allways doing somthing, and often leaving somthing half finished in the background so i almost never shut mine off, crashes aside. Unless some major update or other issue forces me to do so.

Yes, I turn mine off every night

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

I hibernate, who sleeps with Windows 10!?!  Sleep mode still draws power.  Hibernate stores it on the disc and stops drawing power

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I always turn the PC off before I go to sleep. Very rarely I leave it on over night because of the fan noise and a bunch of RGB lights flashing and my roommate would kill me if I left it on. I've been doing this for almost 2 years with my current setup and I haven't had any problems since. Also as other people said I would recommend shutting it down to let all the updates roll in and just to not waste electricity and power (also heats up the room if you're doing heavy work).

Main Rig 

CPU: Intel i7 6700 

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 

MB: MSI H110M PRO-VD 

RAM: HyperX 2x4GB 2133MHz 

CPU Cooler: Stock Intel 

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5''  

HDD: 1TB Seagate Baracude 

PSU: Corsair CX650M

Home Media Server (old PC)

Under construction

I try to leave mine on so that I don't have to wait in the morning for it to turn on. For some reason my laptop on full battery shuts down overnight, which is annoying. At least (i think) my ram is saving the state of the programs for when I use it in the morning.

-Samuel Valencia

I shutdown, never have problems with that. OTOH, I've had bad experiences with Win10 in particular waking up from sleep mode (e.g. system hangs, BSOD), so I've generally stopped doing that.