Do you shut down your PC each night?

TearGod

So I'm just curious, hopefully it is okay to leave a link to a Strawpoll I'll leave it down below.  

With my old PC I used to shut it off each night before I went to sleep, and would turn it back on in the morning when I woke up. I'd do this daily,

but the past few years I've gotten into the habit of just leaving it turned on (Not using Sleep Mode). And about once a week or so I would reboot it.

Not sure why exactly I rebooted it, but I guess I thought it felt a bit bogged down after being left turned on so long without a restart.

So what do you do with your PC's? Do you shut down each night? Just leave it turned on? Or have it in sleep mode?

Also, is leaving it turned on in any way harmful to the PC? I've heard that shutting down and turning on daily/repeatedly isn't good for the components.

But I'm not great with computers, so I have no idea.

Strawpoll

Just now, TearGod said:

So what do you do with your PC's? Do you shut down each night? Just leave it turned on? Or have it in sleep mode?

Also, is leaving it turned on in any way harmful to the PC? I've heard that shutting down and turning on daily/repeatedly isn't good for the components.

But I'm not great with computers, so I have no idea.

I don't see the point in leaving my PC on, since it takes just a few seconds for it to boot to Windows. I do, however, see a point in turning it off: it consumes power and power ain't free where I live!

As for it being bad for a PC to shutting down and turning back on: no, it's bullshit. For a mechanical HDD it is technically harmful, but not any other components in an average, modern PC, and even HDDs can take thousands or tens of thousands of such cycles nowadays.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Usually I turn mine off at night.

Occasionally I leave it on overnight, in rare occasions (like downloading something, backing up large files, etc.). In the past I have had it running overnight for F@H too, but that can use a lot of power.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If setting down was bad for the components, why does every device come with that option? It's usually a good idea to shut down, let updated roll, let the OS restart and not push current through the transistors 24/7

I've shutdown my machines each night for many years, never had issues.

Turn off, no point wasting power doing nothing. Unless I have something specific I need it to do overnight of course, but that's rare. Have the whole desk on a power strip with a remote switch, and when I cut it (once the PC is off obiously) it cuts power to everything. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I turn off my pc if I don't use it for an hour or more and I leave the house.

Sleep mode is so efficient, taking a watt meter to my PC shows anywhere from 0 to 2 watts being pulled which is a tiny fraction of something like when you accidentally leave the lights on.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I usually turn mines off, but I leave the plug on, so an RGB light on my motherboard stays on, but it doesn't consume much power, so I don't mind.

I don't turn it off when I'm off work.  Every time I start to work the I turn it off  cause I don't use my pc during work week.

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

Mine runs 24/7. I've had more issues with my older computers and turning them off, and them running their course vs. the ones that I've kept running as often as possible. Perhaps some of that has to do with advances in technology, but I've never liked the idea of power cycling my equipment everyday.

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

i could see that being a problem with a few kinds of appliances, but for CPUs, GPUs and SSDs i kinda wonder if it's negligible enough compared to rated voltage and usage ._.

And I agree, it's probably negligible; maybe it's a lingering feeling from some older studies and older technology.

Mine runs 24/7. You can easily see how system operates from Crystal Disk Info. If system drives have very high operational hours but very few power-on events, you know system ran 24/7 a lot. My Samsung 850 Pro SSD has just 1500 power-on events at 31.000 (3.5 years) operational hours. My "new" 8TB HDD only has 13 power-on events and 1300 (54 days) operational hours. Basically all those power-on events are only from system reboots because of crashes/updates/installs of something.

I basically run it 24/7 because I have either some torrents running (legal ones only :) ) or have my system ready for remote access from other devices. I have it set in such a way that on idle it's dead silent so it's no problem just have it running.

I still believe if system is set up well (good power supply and good cooling), continuous operation puts less stress on components than constantly shutting it down and powering it on.

99% of the time no, usually Sleep mode or won't bother to turn off. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Hackintosh means booting the thing is sort of uncertain, sometimes it takes three or four reboot attempts before it boots properly (mostly it just gets stuck doing nothing), so it's 24x7.

Also, I'm too lazy to actually turn the thing off

I have my Razer set up on a boat, the desk it's on is open to the air. At night, I turn it to sleep mode. The only issue here is the salt deteriorating everything. I have to replace devices every couple of years, but Walmart ships fast from Hawaii.

Quote or Tag me so I can see what you want.

The Simulation is failing.

I work 2 weeks on 2 off. When I'm off at work, it's off and unplugged. The first full day I'm home I'll usually use it then set everything to update over night. I leave it on and not locked until it gets caught up with updates. Usually a couple nights(internet isn't that great out here). After that it just goes into sleep mode until I use it or leave for work again.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Mine are almost constantly on. The one that functions as a NAS is never shut down or restarted. I restart my main rig occasionally, when an update requires it, but shut it down only when I leave my home for longer than a day.

MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | CPU: AMD Ryzen R9 3900X | CPU cooler: Corsair iCue H150i RGB PRO XT | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 CL18 LPX | GPU: Zotac RTX 3080 Trinity OC + Palit RTX 2080 Ti GamingPro OC | SSD: 2 x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB NVMe + Kingston A400 480 GB + Samsung QVO860 1 TB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000 W Gold | Case: be quiet! Silent Base 801 | Displays: BenQ PD3200U @ 3840x2160 + ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ @ 2560x1440 | Keyboard: Corsair K68 RGB Cherry MX Red | Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2S

Only shut down at night when I am not folding.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I leave my system running 24/7, I once had over 50 days of uptime until the power went out.

Unless Im seeding or downloading, I put it into sleep mode overnight. No reason to waste electricity and generate unnecessary heat when its not in use.

I leave it on as I don't have much reason to turn it off. I also generally have 40 - 60 tabs open with things I'm working on, and it'd be more of a pain in the ass to bring them all back up than it is to pay the few cents it costs for the power to run it.

3 hours ago, WereCatf said:

I don't see the point in leaving my PC on, since it takes just a few seconds for it to boot to Windows. I do, however, see a point in turning it off: it consumes power and power ain't free where I live!

As for it being bad for a PC to shutting down and turning back on: no, it's bullshit. For a mechanical HDD it is technically harmful, but not any other components in an average, modern PC, and even HDDs can take thousands or tens of thousands of such cycles nowadays.

I don't think power is free in most places ;) Though it was in my last apartment.

If you're worried about costs you must pay obscene amounts for energy.

3 hours ago, 5x5 said:

If setting down was bad for the components, why does every device come with that option? It's usually a good idea to shut down, let updated roll, let the OS restart and not push current through the transistors 24/7

I really don't think powering it on 24/7 causes that much damage. Certainly not enough that it'd be noticeable in the average life span of consumer PC parts.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I just let it sleep when I'm not using it. Only time I restart is for updates.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20